Potato salad and Deviled Eggs

Options
shelbybaughman0321
shelbybaughman0321 Posts: 21 Member
So, does anyone have any low-ish calorie recipes for tater salad, and deviled eggs? Using mayo. Doesn't matter what kind of mayo.

Replies

• Faerie704
    Options
    A while back, I made a potato salad that had plain yogurt as a base, had olives in it (so a little bit on the Greek flavors side)...it got rave reviews and did not use mayo. It was on allrecipes, you could probably find it doing an advanced ingredient search on there for potato salad with yogurt. Or try cutting mayo down and using mustard since it's fat free...some mayo is okay since it's healthy fat, just needs moderation and to fit into your daily calorie count :)
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    A while back, I made a potato salad that had plain yogurt as a base, had olives in it (so a little bit on the Greek flavors side)...it got rave reviews and did not use mayo. It was on allrecipes, you could probably find it doing an advanced ingredient search on there for potato salad with yogurt. Or try cutting mayo down and using mustard since it's fat free...some mayo is okay since it's healthy fat, just needs moderation and to fit into your daily calorie count :)

How is mayo considered healthy fat?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you aren't willing to get rid of the mayo, the only option is to either reduce the amount of mayo or go with low calorie mayo.

I love egg salad and have actually replaced mayo with light sour cream. I add ground cumin and fresh jalapenos to give it a kick.
  • shelbybaughman0321
    Options
    I never thought of using Greek Yogurt. I might cut most of the mayo out, use yogurt and some Olive Oil Mayo instead. Mayo has been one of my hardest things to cut out of my life, because it's SOOOO good. But I've been pretty happy with the Olive Oil kind. Thanks, eveyone!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a zero calorie mayo. Have not tried it but like their 1000 island, their ranch is awful. They make a lot of great zero cal things and they make some things that are not. You have to try. We get ours at Wally world and most supermarkets. You can go online to order. Hope this helps.:drinker:
  • shelbybaughman0321
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a zero calorie mayo. Have not tried it but like their 1000 island, their ranch is awful. They make a lot of great zero cal things and they make some things that are not. You have to try. We get ours at Wally world and most supermarkets. You can go online to order. Hope this helps.:drinker:

Thanks! I will look around for it.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    i don't have recipes, but Kraft makes a really good mayo with olive oil - - it is REALLy good
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If you have to use mayo, try trader joes low fat mayo 35 cal/ tbsp. You can also use daisy light sour cream ( 40 cal/ 2 tbsp) or lucerne low fat plain yogurt ( 130 cal/ 8oz.) Mustard is great! I also add pickles pickle juice to mine, but you have to be careful.
  • shelbybaughman0321
    Options
    i don't have recipes, but Kraft makes a really good mayo with olive oil - - it is REALLy good

That's the kind I've been using. It's not quite the same as regular mayo, but it's still pretty darn good!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've tried using greek yogurt and it got so thick upon standing I didn't like the texture. Have used food processed cottage cheese though and it was pretty good!
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm not much help sorry I use greek yoghurt or sour cream depending on my mood and whats going in.
    But I use greek yoghurt as my dressing for everything pretty much.
    If you mix in tasty flavours you won't really notice the difference much :)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Last time I made deviled eggs I cut the mayo in half with fat free Greek yogurt and used a little less overall than the recipe called for. No one knew the difference. I didn't tell them, they still don't know. I'm an evil genius like that.
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree ranch dressings isn't good. Don't like the mayo either but agree with the 1000 island dressing being pretty good. I also tried the strawberry jam and didn't care for it. It s really hit and miss with Walden Farms.