Exercising when you have social anxiety?

Options
Hi,

I've got bad social anxiety mainly due to being overweight, I've had insults hurled at me by complete strangers in the past and feel uncomfortable and panicky when I am anywhere public. Currently the only exercise I do is walking around the block and in a near-by field but I still see people and this is putting me off of leaving the house, no one has said anything recently but I always feel embarrised and shaky when I see anyone, even if they don't even see me or notice me. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stay motivated to exercise despite the struggle I have stepping out of my front door each day? I want to carry on exercising as I know that once I'm thinner my social anxiety will not be as bad, but at the minute I'm quite big so I feel like people are going to shout insults at me at every opportunity. The last time someone said anything was a few months ago now but I still feel upset about it.

Replies

• umhereyougo
    Options
    Ive even recently made a video about social anxiety and depression. I myself have felt a bit awkward going to the gym because ppl hog the weights or I'm afraid that people watch me when I walk in. I often cannot go in without my ipad (to watch my fav shows), Ipod, or iphone to keep myself distracted. Its forced me to do home workouts... which im kinda struggling to find the RIGHT one at the moment. But anyhow, Id love to show you my support bc I know what its like to feel embarrassed when you are trying to do something positive with your life. Im documenting my transformation on YouTube because its kinda hard keeping in touch with family when everyone works. So you can track my progress at my channel umhereyougo if you want. Im not really busy throughout the day so more than likely if you message me ill answer right away. Im very supportive and am trying to get rid of 30 or more pounds by the end of this year! I hope we can support each other! good luck!!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to go outside to exercise? Speaking from personal experience, there are a ton of great workout videos online for all levels, which eliminates the need for you to go outside and feel anxious, allowing you to focus fully on your workout until you feel confident to workout outside.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't usually go out either. There is always some rude male who has to shout their ignorance at me.

I have workout videos and run in my house.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i really think its good and healthy to force yourself to do stuff your uncomfortable doing. the fist step out the door is the hardest.
    its so wrong, that ppl are rude and insulting to you. it speaks loads about them! they have no class and bad self esteem themselves.
    congratulations on your success! :smile:
  • tarotlou
    tarotlou Posts: 47
    Options
    This may or may not help as I've never had to suffer insults shouted at me, btw there are some really rude, verbally aggressive and ignorant people out there and I can't imagine how this make you feel and the effect it has on you :( what about if it is safe to do so, use your phone put on some music and plug your headphones in. Walk with your head held high xxxx
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I suffered and still do a little with social anxiety.

You just have to get out there and do it. The more you do the better you feel.

People that had something rude to say are just jealous or in spmeway threatened and it says more about them than it does you.

The way I deal with it now is to care less about what people think. It's improved my life massively.

Eta; please don't hide away from the world because some people are morons!
  • Nenny1985
    Nenny1985 Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi. Good on you for wanting to make a healthy lifestyle change. Anxiety is a tough one but you can geyser through it. I reckon the best way is to set small manageable goals and go from there and try to aim to go for some sort of walk no matter how short most days. In terms of other ways to work out there is plenty you can do at home. I have a few weights and do my own routines every day. Also maybe see if there are some walking groups in yr area or walk with a friend. All the best!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you want to get outside, so I'm not going to tell you stop doing it, but I am going to say, you can exercise at home if you want! I have real motivational issues so for me doing home workouts is great, no excuse to not exercise if the cross trainer blocks the view of the tv from the sofa - I wanna watch telly, I get on the cross trainer for a better view :smile:

I also have a couple of wii fitness games, including My Fitness Coach (highly recommended) and Zumba (fun just don't video yourself thinking you'll look as great and co-ordinated as you feel, because *thats* dissapointing believe me! :laugh: )

There's also some great youtube vids you can whack on, so loads of options!
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Now this will sound like not much but trust me - I'm a veteran of anxiety! Raise your arms from your sides to above your head and breath in, then breath out while you lower them back down to your sides. Do this three times and repeat this three times a day. Now the purpose is to get your breath back down to the base of your lungs where it needs to be as opposed to being all up in the top of your chest. As your breathing becomes regulated, your body relaxes and this will help your mind to relax. It's a simple technique that can help. Then later on take up yoga! The only thing that cured my anxiety attacks. Hope this helps. Love and luck to you xxxx
  • verasasha
    Options
    I started by working out at home. When i got more confident and in better shape i started running ouside at times where there aren't many people out like very early in the morning, around dinner time and late at night. Eventually i built up the courage to join a gym, but i still only went when there weren't many people there, like during work hour, very early and very late. My biggest acheivement was joining a spinning class, which was so terrifying but everyone was so nice and supportive and made me feel welcome! You can do it, just take small steps at a time and if you try something and hate it, just go back to what you were doing before and try again after a while
  • justbeachy01
    justbeachy01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I too hate exercising w/ people around me. Always feel like they are staring at me.

Sometimes I go to the gym and just suck it up! Other times, when the anxiety is higher I turn on a Jillian Michaels DVD (I get a better workout with her than the gym most times).

Another thing is to scope out some kind of wooded trail for the nice days. They can usually be pretty low on the people count, and if you see people you just go by them quickly anyways!
  • liz4105
    liz4105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym because everyone there makes me anxious. I finally caved and bought a treadmill, and do a ton of workout videos at home. I completely feel your pain. I always feel like people are staring at me when I'm working out. Obviously I'm there to get in shape, but no I don't look perfect right now. I tend to do Jillian Michaels or Shaun T's T25 dvd's when I want to do a strength training and cardio day. Don't let it get you down, you can get a great workout at home without having to feel uncomfortable. I tell myself all of the time that working out should be my happy time, so I don't need to force myself to do something that makes me feel worse.