Carb free diet?

Options

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    Options
    I've tried carb free, you lose weight fast but it comes back in because life unfortunately does involve a few carbs. I try now to just eat my carbs at breakfast, with things like oats or buckwheat pancakes. I don't get the insulin highs and sugar cravings and I'm not high on calories. I will also have an apple or banana later in the day, especially before a workout.

why can't you eat carbs in the afternoon or night?

Is it true that to become completely ripped you have to avoid carbs? or is that B.S?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've tried carb free, you lose weight fast but it comes back in because life unfortunately does involve a few carbs. I try now to just eat my carbs at breakfast, with things like oats or buckwheat pancakes. I don't get the insulin highs and sugar cravings and I'm not high on calories. I will also have an apple or banana later in the day, especially before a workout.

Is it true that to become completely ripped you have to avoid carbs? or is that B.S?

Are you trolling? Obviously that's untrue.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You need carbs because fiber is a carb.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this can't be a serious question....
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Why would you assume I trolling. Its not "obvious" unless you know.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

*shakes head* and walks away ...
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    :wink:

this can't be a serious question....

Oh dear. Nevermind
  • mrmagee3
    Options

My fault. Hard to discern motivation at times, especially with the IIFYM comment you made before. So, please accept my apologies.

To answer your question, the answer is no, though it's not uncommon to see strict carb restriction in bodybuilders as part of stage prep.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

My fault. Hard to discern motivation at times, especially with the IIFYM comment you made before. So, please accept my apologies.

To answer your question, the answer is no, though it's not uncommon to see strict carb restriction in bodybuilders as part of stage prep.

I mean, processed carbs such as pizza etc. I don't mean carbs in general.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how a diet can be carb free? I mean, fruits and veggies all have carbs. Can someone enlighten me?

Personally, I like my carbs. For an active lifestyle I need healthy carbs (unhealthy carbs make me exhausted), and I love every moment of them :tongue:
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I was sucsessful with a low carb diet for 2 years. It wasn't until recently, once I got about 20 pounds away from my goal weight that I upped my carbs. I was usually between 1500-2000 calories and about 30 NET carbs a day. NET carbs are Your total carb count minus fiber.
    It is almost impossible to maintain anything below 20 net carbs daily for an extended period of time. The longest I did was 3 months.
    This really worked for me! :)
  • mrmagee3
    Options

I mean, processed carbs such as pizza etc. I don't mean carbs in general.

The answer is still no. :)
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I won't do carb-free but low carb has been working for me for the last 7 months. I enjoy my new lifestyle and I don't feel deprived, I can eat out at restuarants and I feel great. If you truely want this, you can make it happen. I plan to do this as a lifestyle (not a quick fix diet) for a long time. There are lots of books out on the market that you can read about low carb eating, they helped me a lot. Good luck.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I don't really see how a diet can be carb free? I mean, fruits and veggies all have carbs. Can someone enlighten me?

Personally, I like my carbs. For an active lifestyle I need healthy carbs (unhealthy carbs make me exhausted), and I love every moment of them :tongue:

So carb free would entail eating no vegetables or carbs.

Practically, it's rare that any diet that one could actually eat would be completely carb free, as things like cheese and whatnot have small amounts of carbs, but theoretically, one could subsist on a diet of completely fat and protein if necessary.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    why does your husband want to do a keto diet?

A lower carb intake can be beneficial if you are insulin resistant, otherwise just focus on getting enough P&F and stick to a calorie deficit and live a much more relaxed life where you don't have to avoid food groups.

I don't think that avoiding a certain food group automatically causes your inference that the person doesn't live a relaxed life -- any more so than those who continuously wonder whether or not something will bump them over in calories, at least.

because the OP was wondering how her husband would be able to survive in normal life circumstances where he would otherwise be able to pick any readily available food that fits in his cal target and not have to ask for a burger with no buns.

And yes, P&F are the required macronutrients but carbs are the preferential energy source and anyone who is exercising (I hope everyone who can) should be eating an appropriate amount of carbs to fuel this. (Yes, gluconeogenesis is real but not optimal in hard training athletes)

And yes, I've done cyclical keto diets before. Gym time is about survival not about making progress forward.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    why does your husband want to do a keto diet?

A lower carb intake can be beneficial if you are insulin resistant, otherwise just focus on getting enough P&F and stick to a calorie deficit and live a much more relaxed life where you don't have to avoid food groups.

I don't think that avoiding a certain food group automatically causes your inference that the person doesn't live a relaxed life -- any more so than those who continuously wonder whether or not something will bump them over in calories, at least.

because the OP was wondering how her husband would be able to survive in normal life circumstances where he would otherwise be able to pick any readily available food that fits in his cal target and not have to ask for a burger with no buns.

And yes, P&F are the required macronutrients but carbs are the preferential energy source and anyone who is exercising (I hope everyone who can) should be eating an appropriate amount of carbs to fuel this. (Yes, gluconeogenesis is real but not optimal in hard training athletes)

And yes, I've done cyclical keto diets before. Gym time is about survival not about making progress forward.

Your second and third paragraph are not responsive -- or, at least, are responding to something other than what I said.

There's this often repeated comment here that restricting carbs somehow denotes a poor relationship with food, or that it's some sort of horribly restrictive philosophy that causes people to be constantly on edge with regard to their food choices. For some people, that may be true -- and OP may be one of those -- however, many people that do low carb find it exactly the opposite. They went from writing down everything they ate, tracking calories, fat, etc., to eating when they're hungry, not tracking much, if anything, and enjoying their meals.

It's not a one-size fits all situation, specifically with regard to the "relaxed life" issue, and it's highly YMMV.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Practically, it's rare that any diet that one could actually eat would be completely carb free, as things like cheese and whatnot have small amounts of carbs, but theoretically, one could subsist on a diet of completely fat and protein if necessary.

2nd paragraph was relating to this. Couldn't be bothered double quoting

3rd paragraph was just letting you know that I've been there and done that. :smile:
  • mrmagee3
    Options

2nd paragraph was relating to this. Couldn't be bothered double quoting

3rd paragraph was just letting you know that I've been there and done that. :smile:

Ah, sorry -- the quoting confused me. For what it's worth, absent metabolic issues, I don't disagree with what you wrote. I just wanted to address specifically the "relaxed life" comment that was made.
  • Taniagirly
    Taniagirly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find that morning carbs wake me up ???? but I know a little bit of carbs at night can help you sleep. Balance I guess.
  • Drunken_WarHero
    Options