FAT CLOTHS- do I get rid of them?

Options
Ive been her 5 months and I have been losing a slow and steady 5 pounds a month. I have no reason to stop, as I get more fit I am able to do more exercise. I have lost 25 pounds and I have gone from size 18/16 to an easy 14. I have lots of cloths in this size because it is where I wanted to be. Now I have gone through my closet and have a bed full of cloths tooo big for me. I am bagging them up but I am scared to get rid of them. I have chosen a few items worth getting taken in. But that's not the issue. I am afraid of failure. I hadn't realised it until now. If I get rid of the cloths I am gambling something of value. I can't get over the mental issue. Since there are a lot of losers on this site. How am I supposed to view this challange?

Replies

• Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them, I did, it's the best feeling! I sold mine on ebay and spent the money on lovely new clothes.
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    Well, you are asking for an opinion, so...this is mine:flowerforyou:

YES!!!! Get rid of them. Don't bet on failure, what you do once you hit your goal is you give yourself a 5lb 'top weight.' It is easy to lose 5...just make sure you don't let it get away from that...You can do this...permanently. Look at this as your new self...the fat clothes, unless you want to go back...send them to someone who is losing and needs that size!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Having them around could be a good excuse to go back to old ways. But if you do keep them, pack them up and but them in a deep dark place so you never see them.
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same issue myself. I have lot's of size UK 20/22 and am now a 14/16. I am still wearing lots of them, but am scared to give away the rest in case I gain it back too!!! I'm thinking loft for a few months....... hidden & forgotten, but not inaccessible!!!! Have you got somewhere to store them?

OR.... are we both being silly and should get shot????? AAAggggghhhhhh!!!! Help us please!!!!!! :sad: :blushing:
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    I would feel like you. I know you dont plan to gain it back. You have to stay on a mainteance plan after losing and reaching your goal.... Dont let your weight past say 5 lbs gain... Always lose it if you reach 5 lbs over your goal weight......... .... Always lose what you have gained... And you should be alright...
    If you would like you can box them up and say hold on to them for a while and see how things go. Say 3 to 6 mos as the most... After a bit sale them and buy yourself new ones to fit your new weight loss.........
  • Just_Kris
    Just_Kris Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have one and only one pair of jeans from my highest size of 28. When I feel like a failure, I pull those jeans out and can fit both of my legs in one leg of those jeans. Donate the rest to a women's shelter!
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Get rid of them!!! Holding on to them is like giving yourself permission to get back in to them someday. Don't ever get in the mindset that you may need them again. :noway:
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    Get rid of them!!!! Are you in this for the lifetime? Is this your new way of life? DO you ever want to wear that size again??? It is the most freeing feeling! and then when the smaller sizes start to get a little tight then you know you need to kick it up a notch. You can do it. I gave away 8 bags of clothes and weight from a 26-28 down to an 18-20. I have gotten new clothes from friends handmedowns and from freecycle.
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If someone walked up to you & said, "You will fail. You will never be able to keep the weight off. You suck." You would be shocked, right? Outraged even? At the very least, hurt. But when we don't allow ourselves to see with our new eyes and believe that we are stronger now than we were then, aren't we essentially saying that to ourselves?

Goodwill. Ebay. Consignment. A friend who needs them.

All worthy, great things to do with your "not me anymore" clothes. Because you do not EVER have to go back. Those of us here will remind you when you need reminding & will encourage you when you need encouraging.

Let them go. :flowerforyou:
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ive been her 5 months and I have been losing a slow and steady 5 pounds a month. I have no reason to stop, as I get more fit I am able to do more exercise. I have lost 25 pounds and I have gone from size 18/16 to an easy 14. I have lots of cloths in this size because it is where I wanted to be. Now I have gone through my closet and have a bed full of cloths tooo big for me. I am bagging them up but I am scared to get rid of them. I have chosen a few items worth getting taken in. But that's not the issue. I am afraid of failure. I hadn't realised it until now. If I get rid of the cloths I am gambling something of value. I can't get over the mental issue. Since there are a lot of losers on this site. How am I supposed to view this challange?

A couple of weeks ago (after realizing my size 10's were now loose on me) I decided to get rid of every article of clothing labeled sizes `12 and up (all the way to 16) and any shirts that were labeled XL or larger. I did keep some Dress jackets that are size 12, because having jackets that are a little looser in the winter is a good thing (layers to keep warm).

I made the decision to get rid of these items because it is a symbol of my change in my life - not just that I've lost a bunch of weight, but I've made a conscious decision to live my life in a healthier way and that is not going to change - so, the holding on to the clothes symbolized holding on to a lifestyle that I no longer wanted/needed. Giving them away to the salvation army and Goodwill symbolized the "stepping" completely into the new lifestyle that I have chosen. Also, felt really good about giving clothing to the goodwill to help other women who are struggling and need nice clothes to wear to job interviews, etc.

It is all good - you can hold on to them if you really don't believe in yourself, or you can give them away if you believe that this is a change that you WILL continue to follow.

Blessings as you go forward on your journey to a healthier/happier you.

Vickie
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking my nicer clothes to a consignment store. Some of them are going to the thrift stores. Most of the new clothes I've been buying are from the consignment and thrift stores. Lots of good deals if you shop around. And honestly, if you were to gain it back in the future they probably wouldn't still be in style or may not fit the same way. So liberate yourself, it's a good feeling.
  • Cheilsea
    Cheilsea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    GET RID OF THEM!!!! It will encourage you more to maintain at least the weight you're at now and continue losing. Great job!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is what I can say from experience. Everyone told me to box up my size 10s because I have done a great job but 'no way' I am staying at a size 8. I decided the 10s were gone, because I had changed.

Well I had a mini stroke, heart surgery, my office closed, I was hired into another department and I am now told I will stay in my present roll until January 1. So I have been on a roller coaster ride, to say the least.

I gained back approx 5-8 pounds (depends on the day) Well I have no clothes to wear if I gain the 8 so ...............bang, back to eating right and adding back my exercise. I do not have the money for new clothes or the desire to be a size larger.........and I KNOW how to do it~!!

So back to the drawing board. No choice!!!

Get rid of them:drinker:
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them! When you get to your goal weight, don't allow yourself to buy a bigger size, this will help you maintain. Keep up the good work!!!
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ok, ok, ok!!!! I now feel thoroughly told off and am gonna post on Freecycle they will be ready to collect next weekend!!!!! :glasses:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I have one and only one pair of jeans from my highest size of 28. When I feel like a failure, I pull those jeans out and can fit both of my legs in one leg of those jeans. Donate the rest to a women's shelter!

I kept the brand new, tags still on, size 16 business suit I bought to wear to an annual meeting. I lost enough weight to wear the size 14 I had in the closet, but kept the 16 thinking I might need it.

This one and only "Suit of Honor" will remain as long as I see fit. It is my suit of honor because it was the last straw kicking me into the the DO IT mode!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Ok, ok, ok!!!! I now feel thoroughly told off and am gonna post on Freecycle they will be ready to collect next weekend!!!!! :glasses:

Wonder if Suit of Honor needs to go to Women in Distress now?? I mean it has been around 2 yrs for me. Hmmm....
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. All items, (all but one suit that I am taking to the tailors), are in the back of my car in bags for the nearest goodwill. I must lose weight to avoid back surgery so what was I thinking?!
    Thanks for setting me straight, for the encouragement, and insights and support.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest keeping just one piece of clothing like pants/jeans just so you can try it on every so often as a reminder of how much you've accomplished.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    YES! Donate, sell, have taken in. I would have whatever I could taken in. I did. One piece is what I saved. Just to remind myself where I NEVER wanted to be again. (300+) I still have 40 to go to get to where I want to be. I keep the size above where I am. In the winter I have to wear Insulated underwear to work. A little extra room is a must. Any thing over two sizes......gone!