replacement for salt

Options
I still have South Beach Diet on my facebook for the tips, motivation and reciepies. This seemed worthy of sharing

"If you're trying to cut back on salt, make your own spice blend to sprinkle on roasted vegetables and grilled meat. Allspice, cumin, paprika, black pepper and mustard go well with most dishes, so customize your blend according to what you like."

Replies

• stop_stopping
    stop_stopping Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I moved in with my grandmother (RIP) she needed a low salt diet and I learned that spices can be your best friend :-) Don't be afraid to be liberal with them either!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    A touch of vinegar makes up for a lack of salt pretty well (to my palette at least).
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I use No-Salt salt alternative (http://www.amazon.com/No-Salt-Substitute-11-Ounce-Can/dp/B000H185N6)- I found mine at WalMart.
    I'm not a big salt person, but when it calls for it in recipes, etc. that's what I use. Haven't had any complaints!

I'm sure there are people who will argue that it has it's down sides (like sweeteners) but I don't use a tablespoon with every meal so I think I'll be ok!

Also- you should try Frontier brand of spices, most of them are salt free & organic. I love their taco seasoning, cajun & creole! (Link to taco seasoning----> http://www.vitacost.com/frontier-natural-products-taco-seasoning-salt-free/?prSrching=0 )
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I use No-Salt salt alternative (http://www.amazon.com/No-Salt-Substitute-11-Ounce-Can/dp/B000H185N6)- I found mine at WalMart.
    I'm not a big salt person, but when it calls for it in recipes, etc. that's what I use. Haven't had any complaints!

I'm sure there are people who will argue that it has it's down sides (like sweeteners) but I don't use a tablespoon with every meal so I think I'll be ok!

I use this too, and I think it is a decent substitute, and it has a ton of potassium in it as well.
  • CaliforniaAtHeart
    Options
    TEST
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with salt? Especially added salt. What most people don't realise is that the majority of the salt in our diet comes from eating processed foods so if you want to cut down on the sodium in your diet then look at cutting out processed foods and start cooking more from scratch. Sodium is actually essential for maintaining good hydration levels in the body (our body fluids are salty not plain water). I add salt to nearly every meal, it enhances natural flavours.
  • kaavery120188
    kaavery120188 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We do everything in our house low sodium because my boyfriend has high BP. Agree with above post, a lot of sodium comes from processed foods. Just searching for "low sodium" and organic items helped a lot. Other than that, we go crazy with spices. Mrs. Dash makes some awesome no sodium spices. I would defnitely start there. Other than that we use curry, cumin, garlic, mustard, cayenne, red pepper flakes, etc.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Totally respect all of you not using a ton of salt in your everyday cooking and eating less processed food, whether it be for health or whatever. But PLEASE, for the sake of people like me who have to come over and eat your baking, just ADD that 1/2 tsp of salt to the damn cookie recipe. It tastes like crap without it.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to someone's house (usually someone over 50) and had to eat their crappy saltless baking. And I always think to myself "how bad can 1/2 tsp of salt spread out over 2 dozen cookies really be for a person?"

If I sound salty it's cause I am.
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What most people don't realize is that the majority of the salt in our diet comes from eating processed foods so if you want to cut down on the sodium in your diet then look at cutting out processed foods and start cooking more from scratch.

I agree 100%. The salt you add from the table after cooking from scratch is nothing compared to the sodium in processed foods.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Interesting article I read this morning - a bit of salt might not be such a bad idea - the type you sprinkle on your food yourself - not the pre-packed processed salt bombs....

http://suppversity.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/chloride-heart-disease-overlooked.html
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Salt has been unnecessarily vilified. Very few people need to watch their sodium intake. More people have health issues with a low sodium diet than a high sodium diet.