'diet' drink without chemicals

Options
I find that I have an easier time drinking fluids if they are flavored. I know there are many 'diet' products like crystal light but lately I've been hearing so much about the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and chemicals in general that are put into food products. I'm wondering if there are any 'whole food' type low/no cal drinks out there besides lemon water.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I put lemons in ice water, not sure a drink exists that tastes sweet, but doesn't have sugar or fake sugar?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I find that I have an easier time drinking fluids if they are flavored. I know there are many 'diet' products like crystal light but lately I've been hearing so much about the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and chemicals in general that are put into food products. I'm wondering if there are any 'whole food' type low/no cal drinks out there besides lemon water.

Thanks!

Well lemon water is chock full of chemicals, so if you're ok with lemon water, Mio etc should be just fine
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What chemicals are in lemon water?
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've added sliced lemon and sliced lime to a pitcher of water; orange slices would be good too. I've heard of using sliced cucumbers but haven't tried it. I drink a LOT of unsweetened tea, iced in summer, hot in winter. I've purchased assortments of flavored teas and just tried each flavor until I found the ones I liked.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    GIN AND FRESCA
  • Acg67
    Options
    What chemicals are in lemon water?

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-2004-0871.ch003

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1966.tb15415.x/abstract

And that's just the lemons, water is full of chemicals as well
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Drink what you enjoy and do not get fixated on all of the scare tactics.
  • Jennloella
    Options

Thanks!

Well lemon water is chock full of chemicals, so if you're ok with lemon water, Mio etc should be just fine

no, fresh lemons don't have artificial sweeteners in them.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

There are several things you could try if you are willing to be patient with your palette. It usually takes trying a new flavor at least 3-4 times to really acquire any taste for it. There are loads of natural herbal teas out there with flavors ranging from citrus to lavender to peppermint. Any of these could be added to ice water before or after brewing or steaming. We boil ginger and apples, let the broth cool, and pour it over ice. Yummy. It's sweet with a kick.
    There are numerous fruits that could be sliced into water, grapefruit, apples, plums, melons, pineapple, kiwi, berries... Even some vegetables, such as cucumber, carrot, squashes, celery or beets. Beets have a natural sweet flavor and they make the water a pretty color to boot!
    Or you could try some fresh organic herbs like chive, parsley, mint, dill or fresh spices like clove or cinnamon. After Autumn workouts, it's a treat to cool down with chilled pumpkin/allspice broth over ice-cubes made with a thin slice of apple frozen in the middle.
    Some natural sweeteners include stevia leaves, agave nectar, or honey.

Most of the combinations we make have less calories than the diet drinks sold on the market, more diverse flavors, and a lot less unwanted ingredients.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Water. Or just drink diet soda.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Tea. Comes in all different flavors, can be made hot or iced, and you can add or not add any sweetener you want.
  • Acg67
    Options

Thanks!

Right because the only chemicals are artificial sweeteners
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, do Americans learn any chemistry in high school???

Why are there so many of you that have absolutely no grasp of the sciences?
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    great ideas!

Today, I squeezed a fresh lemon into a water bottle, put a packet of Splenda, ice cubes and filled the rest of way with water. It was really good. It does have a sweetener but it 'seems' like 1 packet of splenda is still am improvement over a prepackaged powder drink as far as the amount of artificial things.

I'll have to look more into the teas and fruits/herbs. How do go about using tea bags to make a cold drink? Do you have to brew it hot first and then let it cool?
  • Acg67
    Options
    great ideas!

Today, I squeezed a fresh lemon into a water bottle, put a packet of Splenda, ice cubes and filled the rest of way with water. It was really good. It does have a sweetener but it 'seems' like 1 packet of splenda is still am improvement over a prepackaged powder drink as far as the amount of artificial things.

I'll have to look more into the teas and fruits/herbs. How do go about using tea bags to make a cold drink? Do you have to brew it hot first and then let it cool?

Tea contains 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione 3,7-dihydro-1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione among other things, so watch out
  • Jennloella
    Options

Thanks!

sigh. the OP was referring to artificial sweeteners.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Water, but even then Water is a Chemical...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Thanks!

sigh. the OP was referring to artificial sweeteners.

Then it should have been stated beforehand. j/s
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I drink Pelligrino or Perrier. They both come in a lemon or lime flavor, too, but they are not sweet.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you drink water, but that's a chemical, so I don't even know. sorry.

:wink: