Painful joints from exercise, DESPERATE FOR HELP!!

Options
2»

Replies

• BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having problems. No one here can accurately diagnose you without a) being a trained health professional and b) meeting you face to face! I suggest you go to your doctor or a physiotherapist to get checked out. There are several reasons for sudden inflammation, some of them minor, some not so minor.

Good luck!
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I will try all that has been suggested. You've all been a very GREAT help!
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion about seeing a doctor to rule out any health issues. Sudden swelling could indicate circulatory problems or even a kidney infection. Rule out health issues first.

If all comes back ok, start a stretching routine. If you have Time Warner Cable, go to their free OnDemand and do the ballet stretch (it's only 11 minutes long), or incorporate some yoga and/or pilates workouts into your routine. For your ankles, you can sit on your knees with your but on your ankles, toes under. See if you can hold that pose for 30 seconds and the see if you can do it up to 3 minutes. The Frog stretch is a great overall stretch - it's really good for loosening hips (tight hips are a big problem for many women and this leads to knee pain).
  • rjs0416
    rjs0416 Posts: 23
    Options
    Also, do I just keep pushing through this and working out even though it hurts? Or will that injure something? And any thoughts on the Ryka shoes? I have a beach body coach that is pushing Nikes...?

Under no circumstances should you do this. You know your body well enough to know that you're in pain and that it's not simply muscle strain from working out. If you continue to work out as you are when you are in this level of pain, you can seriously injure yourself, placing your fitness goals well off into the future while you recover.

If this type of workout isn't working for you at this point in time, try something a little more low impact to give your ankles and knees (and surrounding muscle) time to adapt and strengthen.

Try adding planks, wall sits, body weight squats to your exercise. Get access to an elliptical machine and do six workouts on that over the course of a week and a half for 30 to 45 minutes. If you can, replace the elliptical with a freestrider. After that, throw a few workouts over on a recumbent bike. Walk hills or do a 30 minute treadmill walk at 2.5 mph or 3.0 mph where you increase the incline by .5 every minute.

Lastly, go to your doctor. Tell him what you're experiencing and he or she should have a few recommendations in the way of physical therapy, ice baths, ankle or knee braces, stretches, or other easy to implement solutions.
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    Thanks all!!