'diet' drink without chemicals

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find that I have an easier time drinking fluids if they are flavored. I know there are many 'diet' products like crystal light but lately I've been hearing so much about the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and chemicals in general that are put into food products. I'm wondering if there are any 'whole food' type low/no cal drinks out there besides lemon water.

Thanks!

You could put any type of fruit in your water, you don't have to limit to lemons. Also, cucumbers are pretty popular in water. Tea or mint leaves are also a natural way to flavor water.

** ignore those that pretend they don't know you mean man-made chemical additives. They have nothing better to do, apparently.
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe those links are referring to fruit juice sold at the store, not what comes from a fresh squeezed lemon that you squeeze at home. I think I get your point though. We probably consume a lot of chemicals we are not aware of. I'm just tying to minimize when possible. I do use a PUR water filter as well.
    What chemicals are in lemon water?

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-2004-0871.ch003

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1966.tb15415.x/abstract

And that's just the lemons, water is full of chemicals as well
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I find that I have an easier time drinking fluids if they are flavored. I know there are many 'diet' products like crystal light but lately I've been hearing so much about the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and chemicals in general that are put into food products. I'm wondering if there are any 'whole food' type low/no cal drinks out there besides lemon water.

Thanks!

Chemicals are really quite natural. Water is a chemical substance. You are made up of chemicals. Just sayin'.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Well lemon water is chock full of chemicals, so if you're ok with lemon water, Mio etc should be just fine

no, fresh lemons don't have artificial sweeteners in them.
    Just beware of asking for it in restaurants...:laugh:

(Restaurant Lemons Tested Positive for Fecal Matter and E-Coli)
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=5048483&page=1
  • trilove1
    trilove1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use liguid stevia drops, or powdered stevia, you can get flavored liquid stevia and mix it with carbonated water and a little citric acid to make a "pop"
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Tea. Comes in all different flavors, can be made hot or iced, and you can add or not add any sweetener you want.

Yeah, coffee too, hot or cold.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Has anyone yet mentioned that chemicals are everywhere and in everything? Because I think that I might sound really smart if I were to bring this up.

Since no one has yet said anything... chemicals are everywhere and in everything and they are out to get you all!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    In before "Cognitive Dissonance"

Matt%20Damon%20puppet.jpg
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, do Americans learn any chemistry in high school???

Why are there so many of you that have absolutely no grasp of the sciences?

My theory is that many people think that to be a "documentary" film or an article on the Internet - there is some sort of peer-review process...

So, otherwise rational people think that there must be some sort of new research that proves all of the nonsense that they are bombarded with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc - Bonjour!

Also, many people confuse "celebrity" with "competence".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Has anyone yet mentioned that chemicals are everywhere and in everything? Because I think that I might sound really smart if I were to bring this up.

Since no one has yet said anything... chemicals are everywhere and in everything and they are out to get you all!

Oh you is so smart, and stuff.
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This is so very true!!! Did you know that 100% of people who consume water die? LOL Seriously people stop taking posts so literally and turning it into something it is not. :ohwell: I assume you meant artificial sweetners. I like to put organic lemons and limes in water.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Take any kind of tea you like and make iced tea. You can even put a little honey in it to sweeten it naturally but not too much. I have used the fruit flavored herbal teas to make my own 'peach iced tea'.
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    so... I've never made iced tea before. Do you mean when you put a bunch of tea bags in a container of water and leave it out in the sun?

I make hot tea all the time and it seems like you need the boiling water to release the tea from the bags...
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I like LaCroix. It's like Perrier, but comes in more varieties (grapefruit, coconut, cran-raspberry, lemon, lime, etc). No sweetener, artificial or otherwise. Just fizzy water with a hint of natural fruit flavor.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    if you are on pinterest look up recipes for naturally flavored water. They are really simple and all natural. I have seen people put cucumber slices in water. You can do citrus like orange, lemon, or lime. You can even do strawberries. Lots of natural things that you can add to your water without turning to processed crap.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    so... I've never made iced tea before. Do you mean when you put a bunch of tea bags in a container of water and leave it out in the sun?

I make hot tea all the time and it seems like you need the boiling water to release the tea from the bags...

You can make iced tea the same way. Steep the teabags in heated water, then ice it down once it's cooled to room temperature.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Someone gave me a Zevia soda the other day. It is a soda sweetened with stevia which is a natural sweetened. No idea where they got it but it was tasty. My parents have been growing stevia in their garden I guess you could brew that with water and lemon then chill it and there you have a natural lemonade.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    yup, and then you stick it in the fridge to lower the temperature and pour that over ice. :indifferent:
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, do Americans learn any chemistry in high school???

Why are there so many of you that have absolutely no grasp of the sciences?

Literally LOL'd at my desk :laugh:
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For iced tea, brew tea as you normally would - with hot water - (I make it a little stronger usual, as the melting ice will dilute it), then pour the hot tea over ice.