Chia seeds?

Options
Hi everyone! I keep seeing people adding chia seeds to their food diaries. I've researched it--I am a librarian after all!--and I understand why people eat them. What I don't get is HOW people eat them. Like, do you just eat them plain, like you would a sunflower seed? Or do you mix them in stuff? What do they taste like? Do you recommend them? Enlighten me, please! :happy:

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you like research, try "how do people eat chia seeds" in Google. Get a lot of ideas.

I personally add to oatmeal, or let sit in water for a bit and mix with protein powder. Eating dry I find is not particularly enjoyable.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    They are very tiny so I don't think I'd eat them unless they were mixed in with something. I had them this morning in my "overnight oatmeal". You can sprinkle them on anything you want like you would wheat germ.
  • MizzuzR
    MizzuzR Posts: 9
    Options
    I bought the ground seeds so it was like a fine powder then added it to my green smoothie. I had to give it a rest because it was giving me very bad gas.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I add it to my soup and yogurt. :)

They have a slightly nutty taste on their own but take on the taste of whatever you put them in.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Best & easiest!

1/4 cup chia seeds
    1 cup milk (I used regular almond)

Let them soak overnight in bowl together. In morning add berries or whey for extra protein! It's very hard to describe the texture, kind of like a cold soup, but oh so good!
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    They are very tiny so I don't think I'd eat them unless they were mixed in with something. I had them this morning in my "overnight oatmeal". You can sprinkle them on anything you want like you would wheat germ.

Overnight oats!! If you check out my diary, you'll see I eat my "mush" almost everyday! Chia seeds are superfood!!!

Here's a great Chia Pudding recipe that I sampled at a heath food market:

Ingredients:
    3 tbsp. Chia seed
    1 cup milk (almond milk works best)
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    5 tbsp. Blue Agave syrup (or maple syrup)
    Chocolate covered cocoa nibs for topping

Directions:
    1. Pour the milk into a bowl. Mix in the syrup and cocoa powder until thoroughly blended.
    2. Gradually add the Chia seed to prevent clumping.
    3. Set for about 40 minutes to allow the chia seed to absorb the liquid, until the consistency is comparable to tapioca. Stir occasionally.
    4. Pour desired serving amount into a small bowl and sprinkle with cocoa nibs. Enjoy!
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I bought the ground seeds so it was like a fine powder then added it to my green smoothie. I had to give it a rest because it was giving me very bad gas.

You have to drink more water in order to avoid this! Also, if you don't like the consistency (they are a bit slimy, like okra), plant them in a small garden pot and grow indoors. You can eat the sprouts and grass by adding it to your smoothies as well.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My intake of chia seeds usually is by grounding some and throwing them in my protein shake or I mix some in with my steel cut oats or yogurt and fresh berries. Other times I like to put a couple of tablespoons in a glass of water and let it sit for a little while. Then I drink the water and add a little apple cider vinegar to it.

I find there is not much of a taste to them and they are packed with a lot of fiber, healthy fats and protein.

If you try them make sure you start off slow and drink lots of water.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I bought some ground chia at my local Bulk Barn. I mixed them in with my morning smoothie and I couldn't tell they were there. However, after a couple days of this, I started getting very itchy. And in a couple places I'm sure I had hives. I decided to give them up.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I bought some ground chia at my local Bulk Barn.

I did too! haha! They were on sale last month so I figured it was a great way to try them. Now I'm hooked. :)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I like them in oatmeal or yogurt, and I use them half-and-half with flax seeds to make vegan "eggs" for baking. My daughter's favorite after school snack is a teaspoon of chia seeds in a shot glass of water, which she then refuses to stir and eats the resulting goo with her fingers. (It is gross, but it's relatively healthy and if grossing me out keeps her out of the chips, I'll take it.)

Oh, and google "chia fresca" - you'll get a bunch of nice refreshing summertime drinks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    In overnight oats or a protein smoothie
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I usually just put some in my shakes. It's easy and I can't taste anything.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just add it to anything thick/goopy- shakes, oatmeal, 'puddings' (really a mix of fruits and almond milk or coconut milk, whatever I want.)
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I keep seeing people adding chia seeds to their food diaries. I've researched it--I am a librarian after all!--and I understand why people eat them. What I don't get is HOW people eat them. Like, do you just eat them plain, like you would a sunflower seed? Or do you mix them in stuff? What do they taste like? Do you recommend them? Enlighten me, please! :happy:

Personally I mix mine into scrambled eggs or greek yogurt.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    6 oz mixed frozen berries
    6 oz greek yogurt, plain (unsweetened)
    mix in 2 - 3 Tablespoons chia seeds IMMEDIATELY before I eat it. They plump up really quick, and will make this very thick if you don't eat it right away. My husband adds milk to this so it's more soupy.

I also put it in peanut butter sandwiches and salads (after I've added dressing, give it something to stick to.)

It definitely helps me fill full longer.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with my peanut butter and then put it on toast. Adds a bit more protein and fibre into my breakfast!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have tried chia pudding and it was nasty, I did not like the texture which is weird because dragon fruit has a similar texture but I love that. But because of the volume it gives and the health properties it contains I add 1/2 a tablespoon to my oatmeal every morning.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    get a book from the library. hehehe a cookbook!