Weight loss surgery....'I want a gastric sleeve next'

Options

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You must NOT watch "Reality T.V." or Live in the World Culture...the Quick Fix, Especially Cosmetic Surgery. Going under the knife is Nothing. It's the long range effect that many do not think about; have you seen those women as they age, they look really bad. The long range effect of Wt Loss Surgery, we do know...yes, there will be repercussions but just like the person who gets cosmetic surgery, it's about the right now for some.
  • ashleegil
    Options
    I too am a sleever! :) April 25th of this year I had the surgery. I have lost 80 pounds since surgery, but it MOST definitely is not easy. It is hard...like almost more hard than losing weight was before except I am actually getting results now and am no longer yo-yoing. That was my problem, I could commit to any program or diet for a month or so then I would stop and slide back into bad habits, it's almost like it's not even a thought now.

I did have many mental health sessions PRIOR to surgery in regards to my eating issues and using it as a crutch and comfort thing. I do believe it helped a lot!

Surgery is not right for everyone, but it has been absolutely the best choice for me.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I take some offense to this comment. I just had the "sleeve" 8 weeks ago. I have been overweight my entire life. I have tried all of the diets and exercise plans out there and will lose some weight and then gain it all back again plus more. The "sleeve" or Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, is a major surgery and permanent option for weight loss surgery. My surgeon removed about 75-80% of my stomach. He literally took it out of my body. I can never have that back. I don't want it back, but for someone to think that I "took the easy way out", you have no idea what you are talking about. I struggle daily with trying to get in the amount of water that everyone needs in order to stay hydrated. I struggle also to get in the minimum amount of protein that we need to survive also. There is little room for anything else, including healthy options like fruits and vegetables. I will be on vitamin supplements for the rest of my life in order to get these nutrients that I am not able to consume on my own.

And for those of you that think that the lap-band is something you just have removed when you have lost all the weight, that is a common misconception. No surgeon will risk going in to remove it, unless there is a problem which has put the patient in jeopardy.

I know that you didn't mean any offense, but I just think you should really think before you say something like "they took they easy way out". Ask any WLS patient and they will tell you, it is definitely not easy way out. It is very easy to slip into old habits and gain all the weight back, but with this "tool" many people have achieved lifelong weight loss and if they stick to their diet, they keep it off for life.

I have lost 48 lbs so far, but still have a long way to go. VSG 6/25/13

I think people refer to "the easy way out" because the band forces you to change your habits. If you do not have such a physical restriction, it is down to your willpower- thus, a "more difficult" way. Many success stories here state exactly the same you did "overweight all my life, tried everything, lost and gained back" and they have achieved their goals without surgery. In this context, it is perceived to be "an easy way" even though the complications are not easy, as you demonstrate.

*flies away*
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think people refer to "the easy way out" because the band forces you to change your habits. If you do not have such a physical restriction, it is down to your willpower- thus, a "more difficult" way. Many success stories here state exactly the same you did "overweight all my life, tried everything, lost and gained back" and they have achieved their goals without surgery. In this context, it is perceived to be "an easy way" even though the complications are not easy, as you demonstrate.
    *flies away*

I entirely agree with you. You hear it all the time, the "I tried every diet and then I put it all back on"... and that's exactly where the point is missed with some folk. The reason you put it all back on isn't black magic, it's because you stopped doing what worked and went back to your old ways. It's not a temporary quick fix, it's a lifestyle change.

I have huge respect for people here posting their success stories of eating healthier choices, starting cooking from scratch, educating themselves, becoming active, showing true grit and will power and being a true positive example to others about overcoming a huge issue with their own efforts. That's what I have respect for.
  • sassy_sleever
    Options
    Unfortunately the majority of gastric bands have to be removed by about ten years, due to several reasons, not working any more, too much restriction, port flippage, erosion into the stomach wall, slippage. So people are starting to have them removed and revised to another procedure. The gastric sleeve is a great alternative, its a restrictive process, so people can consume less, but it also reduces ghrelin production, the hunger hormone, so people dont get so hungry. I've lost 103lb with my sleeve and i love it! My surgeon does band to sleeve revisions.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Statistically only 13% of those who go through weight loss surgery end up getting to & maintaining a healthy weight. On top of that, complications are extremely common. One person I know has been in & out of the hospital since their surgery 2-3 yrs ago, & now weighs MORE than when they had the surgery. One season of Biggest Loser, about half the contestants had had the surgeries & yet were all back to being morbidly obese. If it were any other non-emergency surgery, doctors would postpone it until the person lost weight, due to the risks involved. So to me, it smacks of malpractice for doctors to do this surgery, when BEHAVIOR & PERSONAL CHOICES could fix it. One lady recently featured on CNN was told by her doc that the "ONLY" way she would get to a healthy weight was w/surgery. She disagreed, got on a healthy program & is currently at a healthy weight.
  • sassy_sleever
    Options
    Sharon, please supply evidence of that figure, the 13%
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'll try to find it, but if I remember right, I saw it on a CNN report about the growing popularity of the surgeries. I remember being really shocked, because I didn't realize it was that low. I used to work for a neurosurgeon who had patients that needed surgery, but were too obese to safely put them under anesthesia.

EDIT: Still looking but here's an example from a practice that PERFORMS these surgeries, about how it is very unlikely that patients will get to a "normal" weight & how they should just learn to be happy with a "better weight." They don't even address the issue of patients who put weight back on after the initial loss after the surgery.

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/dear-doctor-ive-had-bariatric-surgery-will-i-ever-get-to-normal-weight

Another link to a WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY ADVOCATE, who quotes a physician on the page...
    "Regain Is Likely: It is generally believed that 80% of people who undergo weight loss surgery (WLS) will experience weight gain (relapse) of 10-30 pounds depending upon initial weight loss. It is further believed that 20% of those will relapse to their former weight and possibly gain more as the disease of morbid obesity advances. This relapse can be the result of failed gastric surgery (the surgery was improperly performed or medical device failure); a non-compliant patient who does not evolve their eating and exercise habits; the active intestine becoming more efficient at absorbing calories; and potential stomach pouch stretch. Dr. Anita Courcoulas, chief of minimally invasive bariatric and general surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center said, "Regaining weight down the road is a common phenomenon for weight loss patients. These patients need to be educated and prepared for it if it happens.""

http://5daypouchtest.com/articles/art001.html

When it comes down to it, obese patients, whether or not they have weight loss surgery, ultimately are only successful if they develop healthy eating & exercising habits....so why spend the money & take the risk of the surgery?
  • dma15
    Options
    I myself have the sleeve now I had the band but had major problems with it so had to have it removed.

for those people who think it is a easy way out you obviously have not known someone who has had weight loss surgery have you?

there is nothing easy about it it is a tool not a easy way out you still need to change your whole life style like anyone who is trying to lose weight or you wont be successful in the long run

imagine throwing up because you ate that 1 spoonful to much or throwing up because you cant tolerate this food or that food imagine that you cant eat your favorite food ever again because it makes you sick, constant reflux, amongst other stuff well that is a week in the life so after reading that now tell me its an easy way out there is nothing easy about it at all.

Most people who have it do because of
    A/ medical condition or multiple conditions preventing weight loss or making it harder
    B/ For their own health as it is a last resort

I was 219 kg before I had lap band I had sleep apnea, diabetes, extremely high blood pressure as well as other conditions exercising was extremely hard.

Weight loss surgery has given me back my life and my health and believe me I had tried everything it was a last resort.

as I said it is a tool not a cheats way out like so many think maybe people should actually research stuff before they make comments on something they obviously know nothing about (p.s. i am not talking about the original poster here).

so I challenge those that think its cheating or an easy way out find someone who has had surgery and spend a week in their shoes I guarantee you your opinion will change.
  • kathydabner
    Options
    I am scheduled to have the gastric sleeve on October 7th. And no this was not a decision I made lightly. I am now on the liquid protein pre op and it is hard. Yesterday I would have killed to have something to chew. But I know that I will be a more healthy, active person than I am now. It is a complete change of my way of life and my family's. I don't want to be skinny...just healthy. Yes there are studies that show you will regain a certain amount of weight several years down the road. But with education, learning to cook healthy, not use processed foods, the weight can stay off. And also getting off the couch and from in front of the television/computer/tablet/smart phone and engaging in some sort of physical activity. I remember when people used to walk after dinner. Wouldn't that be a delightful tradition to restart. We might actually get to know our neighbors.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    She then proceeds to say that she has lost 20kg in 12 months of having the band which is "really good"...

That's less than pound a week - how is that "really good"? Seems like a pretty poor return for such a drastic measure, to be honest.
  • abickford82
    Options
    She then proceeds to say that she has lost 20kg in 12 months of having the band which is "really good"...

That's less than pound a week - how is that "really good"? Seems like a pretty poor return for such a drastic measure, to be honest.

I was going to say the same thing. If she walked for an hour a day and cut her calories a bit...she would have probably lost more (faster). What a waste of money...
  • ennoviasonipse
    Options
    It always makes me chuckle when people comment on WLS. It is a preconceived idea that it's easy to lose weight with the surgery. It is not. It is simply a tool, regardless weather it's the sleeve, RNY, band, switch, whatever...weight loss is HARD!!! The cravings are still there even after surgery. What is different are the portions that can be physically accommodated in the new stomach (pouch). A person has to change the way they eat and it is a permanent solution. Not one to be flippant about.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    forget it not worth the 3rd strike!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It always makes me chuckle when people comment on WLS. It is a preconceived idea that it's easy to lose weight with the surgery. It is not. It is simply a tool, regardless weather it's the sleeve, RNY, band, switch, whatever...weight loss is HARD!!! The cravings are still there even after surgery. What is different are the portions that can be physically accommodated in the new stomach (pouch). A person has to change the way they eat and it is a permanent solution. Not one to be flippant about.

any weight loss requires you to change the way you eat...MFP is a tool as well and it's free and it has success as well.

and surgery is not permanent people can and do gain all the weight back afterwards...or they have so much excess skin due to the speed in which they lost they require more surgery.

no one should be flippant about any surgery....
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Don't burn me at the stake or anything, but individuals that plan on having WLS have to go on a diet for a while before they are actually able to have the surgery. So these individuals can lose weight by caloric reduction, and it shows that it IS possible for them to lose weight, why not continue with it? Why not learn self control?

A vast majority of people that i have encountered that have had WLS have not kept it off for the long term. They didn't LEARN healthy eating habits, their body just rejected something after the surgery so then you stop eating it. Just like when I was prego. Couldn't stomach eating something that was cooked in a restaurant, so i stopped eating there. Instead, i gained weight off of homemade spaghetti and other meals.

I'm by no means saying that it's easy, because i'm sure it's not, but why do you have to remove part of your body in order for you to accomplish something?
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am always jealous of people who have weight loss surgery. It seems to me they have it easy.
    Statistically only 13% of those who go through weight loss surgery end up getting to & maintaining a healthy weight. On top of that, complications are extremely common. One person I know [blah-bitty-blah]
    Weight loss surgery is the most dangerous way to lose weight
    or they have so much excess skin due to the speed in which they lost
    A vast majority of people that i have encountered that have had WLS have not kept it off for the long term.

ITT: People who don't know what they're talking about and who think their unsourced, unverifiable, anecdotal and or sample size = 1 "evidence" means jack s#!t...
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Some people do not have the willpower to not shove as much food down their mouth as they do. As such, these types of surgeries may be the only course of action. Some people are also, lazy. So, to each their own but why would someone do this to themselves is my question?
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I wish I was at the table, I could have said "I lost 41.4kg in 12 months by eating all my favourite foods, good job to you..."

^^^ HaHaHa! Spot on!

The one person I know who did one of those (I believe the more permanent one) has yet to change his mindset regarding what foods work with the surgery; meaning he struggles to force in foods that are now supposed to be not on his food plan per that procedure. I don't profess to be an expert on the topic, I just know for myself I'd never go that (unnatural) route.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I am always jealous of people who have weight loss surgery. It seems to me they have it easy.
    Statistically only 13% of those who go through weight loss surgery end up getting to & maintaining a healthy weight. On top of that, complications are extremely common. One person I know [blah-bitty-blah]
    Weight loss surgery is the most dangerous way to lose weight
    or they have so much excess skin due to the speed in which they lost
    A vast majority of people that i have encountered that have had WLS have not kept it off for the long term.

ITT: People who don't know what they're talking about and who think their unsourced, unverifiable, anecdotal and or sample size = 1 "evidence" means jack s#!t...

i'm pretty sure i didn't say anything about there being "evidence". it was merely an observation.