Swimming Calories.

Options
OK, so I finally plucked up the courage to go swimming, and I loved it! I was sceptical about wearing my HRM, due to thinking the chest strap and transmitter would somehow break, but I have been advised it's good for up to 30m, so next time I'll wear it, so I used MFP guestimates to log the exercise.

Now, I did the breast stroke, for 65 minutes at a moderate pace, and MFP gave me a calorie burn of 1498, which seemed wayyyy too high, so I went for the "Leisurely, moderate" option instead, which gave me a calorie burn of 988, which seemed a bit more realistic.

So my question is - Does swimming really burn off THAT many calories?

It seemed to easy and effortless, even though I did find myself out of breath sometimes. For example, I go on my treadmill for 30 minutes, and I incline sometimes up to 4%, and usually the most I will burn is around 300 calories (measured with a HRM) and I am completely out of breath afterwards, I'm sweating buckets, etc.

Anybody else go swimming? Anybody else use a HRM to measure calories burned whilst swimming? Anybody else think the MFP estimates are a tad overinflated?

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Jakeyyy_
    Options
    I'm such a swimmer, I never really got into running but I'm thinking of starting. I actually know a bit about swimming so I'm glad I can help you out!

Breaststroke is a very 'minimal effort' stroke (unless you're going flat out sprint which would be impossible to sustain for 65minutes). I would have to agree with you and I think the MFP calorie burn estimates are a tad over the top. I would recommend instead of doing 65minutes of breast stroke, doing 30minutes of front crawl/freestyle. You could either swim slowly for 30minutes doing front crawl or split it 15/15minutes. It's such a good stroke and really gets the heart beat racing! Another thing about swimming is that you need to remember to take water with you. You may not realise it, but you're sweating buckets in that water! Need to keep hydrated so you can train for longer.

If you give me more information on the types of strokes you do, favourite distances, I could write up a few workouts for you to try? Lots of variation and stops you getting bored!

Hope I helped a little? :)
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Breaststroke is a very 'minimal effort' stroke (unless you're going flat out sprint which would be impossible to sustain for 65minutes). I would have to agree with you and I think the MFP calorie burn estimates are a tad over the top.

If you give me more information on the types of strokes you do, favourite distances, I could write up a few workouts for you to try? Lots of variation and stops you getting bored!

Hi there, I like to swim and can happily swim breaststroke for an hour and cover the mile, which is fairly easy going but MFP does seem to consider this a high calorific burn, I would love to do front crawl and alternate, just have trouble with my breathing under water, I used to swim in a club as a child and won medals but struggling to get past the breathing so any tips JAKEY most welcome.

I've just started running and wk one and two of the couch to 5k has me panting in minutes yet MFP doesn't tend to consider this much of a burn, but don't I just feel it.

Think I might save up and invest in a fitbit or HRM just so I get a more accurate reading. :)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I'm such a swimmer, I never really got into running but I'm thinking of starting. I actually know a bit about swimming so I'm glad I can help you out!

Breaststroke is a very 'minimal effort' stroke (unless you're going flat out sprint which would be impossible to sustain for 65minutes). I would have to agree with you and I think the MFP calorie burn estimates are a tad over the top. I would recommend instead of doing 65minutes of breast stroke, doing 30minutes of front crawl/freestyle. You could either swim slowly for 30minutes doing front crawl or split it 15/15minutes. It's such a good stroke and really gets the heart beat racing! Another thing about swimming is that you need to remember to take water with you. You may not realise it, but you're sweating buckets in that water! Need to keep hydrated so you can train for longer.

Hope I helped a little? :)

Yeah, you deffo helped!

Until today, the last time I had been swimming, I was only 13 years old, so the breast stroke is pretty much the only swimming style I remembered!

Also, when I do swim, I don't seem to move as fast as the others in the lanes at the side of me! In fact, I seem to go really slow in comparison to some of the others! Lol!

I'll drop you a friend request, any advice/tips are muchos appreciated!

Thanks bro!
  • _EndGame_
    Options

Breaststroke is a very 'minimal effort' stroke (unless you're going flat out sprint which would be impossible to sustain for 65minutes). I would have to agree with you and I think the MFP calorie burn estimates are a tad over the top.

Hi there, I like to swim and can happily swim breaststroke for an hour and cover the mile, which is fairly easy going but MFP does seem to consider this a high calorific burn, I would love to do front crawl and alternate, just have trouble with my breathing under water, I used to swim in a club as a child and won medals but struggling to get past the breathing so any tips JAKEY most welcome.

I've just started running and wk one and two of the couch to 5k has me panting in minutes yet MFP doesn't tend to consider this much of a burn, but don't I just feel it.

Think I might save up and invest in a fitbit or HRM just so I get a more accurate reading. :)

I have both the Fitbit and the Polar FT4!

The Fitbit is great for tracking steps, but I found that also overestimated calories, which is why I switched to the Polar HRM, and that was giving me far more accurate calorie burn readings. Since then, I've not used my Fitbit at all!

So yah, my recommendation would definitely be a HRM! Then again, it depends what you're wanting to track!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I swim at roughly 1 MPH pace and burn about 450 calories in that time according to my HRM (adjusted for 30% estimation error)...a few more if I throw in some sprints. The database tends to overestimate and people tend to overestimate their level of effort.
  • Jakeyyy_
    Options
    It doesn't matter how fast you're going as long as YOU are pushing yourself. Everyone around you in the pool will be at different levels of experience. You just need to focus on yourself, and if you swim slowly? Pfft who cares! If you feel you're pushing yourself then you are burning just as many calories as they are!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I swim at roughly 1 MPH pace and burn about 450 calories in that time according to my HRM (adjusted for 30% estimation error)...a few more if I throw in some sprints. The database tends to overestimate and people tend to overestimate their level of effort.

How long do you usually take to burn the 450?
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love swimming, and the MFP estimates are probably not going to be very accurate. People vary in what they consider moderate/leisurely/fast. Definitely use your HRM next time and of course work on perfecting your stroke and getting faster. Breaststroke done right is excellent for toning your arms, abs and thighs. I think it requires quite a bit of effort to do it correctly and quickly. In fact, I think it is the most difficult stroke of all. But I'm a flyer/long distance freestyler. ;-)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I love swimming, and the MFP estimates are probably not going to be very accurate. People vary in what they consider moderate/leisurely/fast. Definitely use your HRM next time and of course work on perfecting your stroke and getting faster. Breaststroke done right is excellent for toning your arms, abs and thighs. I think it requires quite a bit of effort to do it correctly and quickly. In fact, I think it is the most difficult stroke of all. But I'm a flyer/long distance freestyler. ;-)

Gotcha. Deffo going to use my HRM tomorrow!

Breast stroke seems to be the only style I can do without looking like a floundering beast that's struggling to stay above the water! Lol. All the other people doing other styles of swimming seem so elegant compared to me! I've already got really strong arms, I've just got no style!
  • Skinand
    Skinand Posts: 16
    Options
    I also just starting swimming since the college I am enrolled at has free pool access. I swim for about 35 to 45 minutes every other morning before class and I agree that MFP slightly exaggerates how many calories are burned. However, I do know that I am sore afterwards and that it is an amazing and enjoyable workout :)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I also just starting swimming since the college I am enrolled at has free pool access. I swim for about 35 to 45 minutes every other morning before class and I agree that MFP slightly exaggerates how many calories are burned. However, I do know that I am sore afterwards and that it is an amazing and enjoyable workout :)

Yeah, I fully agree with you there. My legs are ACHING now! So I must have got a semi decent workout! I just don't trust the MFP estimation!
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    I found the following calculator helpful because it is based upon weight, stoke, duration, and pace.

http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php

Base upon my weight 85 kg, freestyle stroke, swimming for an hour at 2 minute 20 seconds per 100 metres, my calorie burn is 822 kilo calories.

The calculator states the following: "Our swim calorie burned calculation is an estimate using on distance, pace, time, weight and stroke. The calorie formula is based on a study by University of Wisconsin and our own internal research. It is only an estimate. Many other factors will affect calories burned, such as water temperature, gender, body mass index, overall health, and stroke efficiency."

My Garmin swim watch indicates only 600 kilo calories for the same swim, but the Swimmovate watch is almost consistent with the 822 kilo calories indicated above.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK, so I finally plucked up the courage to go swimming, and I loved it! I was sceptical about wearing my HRM, due to thinking the chest strap and transmitter would somehow break, but I have been advised it's good for up to 30m, so next time I'll wear it, so I used MFP guestimates to log the exercise.

Now, I did the breast stroke, for 65 minutes at a moderate pace, and MFP gave me a calorie burn of 1498, which seemed wayyyy too high, so I went for the "Leisurely, moderate" option instead, which gave me a calorie burn of 988, which seemed a bit more realistic.

So my question is - Does swimming really burn off THAT many calories?

It seemed to easy and effortless, even though I did find myself out of breath sometimes. For example, I go on my treadmill for 30 minutes, and I incline sometimes up to 4%, and usually the most I will burn is around 300 calories (measured with a HRM) and I am completely out of breath afterwards, I'm sweating buckets, etc.

Anybody else go swimming? Anybody else use a HRM to measure calories burned whilst swimming? Anybody else think the MFP estimates are a tad overinflated?
    Using my HRM, I burn about the same for swimming as I do for walking 4 mph. At my weight, I burn 400 calories in an hour of swimming, but I don't go all out and hard with it.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I competitively swam in college for a D1 school. Yes, swimming burns a **** ton, but I recommend wearing the heart rate monitor, as most people swim at a lighter pace than they think. The 900 cal burn is pretty accurate if youre stroke is engaging the muscle power that a moderate pace requires. I used to eat easily 5000 plus cals a day during season....it was friggin glorious.
  • dobyblue
    dobyblue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MFP seems to underestimate when I check it. Based on that link provided just above I burned 1095 calories this morning swimming 2 miles (3,200m or 128 laps of a 25m pool) in 56m44s.

When I check my Garmin watch with my weight set to 200lbs (just hit 200lbs last week for the first time since May 2001, 2 years ago I was 245lbs) it says I burned 787 kcal.

If I input 57 minutes under the light/moderate which is what I used to think I was doing it says 597 calories. If I input 57 minutes in the fast/vigorous it says 853. I'm obviously way off competitive rates, but I'm usually one of the fastest amongst the lane swimmers so I guess all this time I've been underestimating. I think the other link is overestimating though.

Seems like the fast/vigorous is only slightly higher than my Garmin Swim says I was doing.

If anyone's interested in the Garmin I've "unprotected" last Wednesday's swim so you can see what the online data you get from your watch looks like, pretty cool stuff - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/377953928
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Forget the HRM, just track how far you swam, that's the data point you're missing. Once you have that, use the calculator link the other poster shared above.