Smoothie recipes that dont involve milk??

Hi was just wondering if anyone had any recipes for smoothies, preferably mango, that don't include milk. Maybe with a substitute of orange juice or something?? I cannot stand milk and some yoghurts and am looking for some other recipes if anyone has any it would be much appreciated! :) x

Replies

• sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    I've discovered unsweetened almond milk fairly recently and now use it exclusively in cereal, coffee, tea, smoothies, recipes. I actually didn't think I would like it but found that I did. The transition was fairly easy for me. It is about half the calories of skim milk, or non-fat milk.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    I make all my shakes with water, but for a creamier result I use unsweetened coconut milk.
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Have used soy isolate for a long time in water then add the fruit and whatever you want. It does not seem to have any flavor at all.
  • thank you so much for your tips, unfortunately Im not a fan of any diary products no milk no cheese, only thing I do like is ice cream haha. don't know why but since I was young the smell, the taste, the look etc of milk just made me gag.
    Im looking to make more of a fruit juice smoothie like mango and orange juice and some crushed ice in it etc was just wondering if anyone else had similar ideas.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I've never used regular milk in a smoothie. I just use water, carrot juice, or some unsweetened almond milk.

And I've followed a recipe for a smoothie either. I just take all the stuff I want and throw it in. :)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Good ol' OJ.

As in, orange juice. Great in fruit smoothies. My fave is orange juice + mango + strawberries +raspberries +peaches + ice. I worked at a smoothie place when I was younger, and this was our most popular combo.

You could always add ice cream too! Orange juice and ice cream = creamsicle. Add fruit and ice!
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    i found a great link on the MSE forum:

http://www.smoothie-recipes.net/

there are loads of recipes to try on their website and loads of them use juice instead of milk or yoghurt

hope this helps :happy:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Frozen mango chunks, unsweetened almond milk (nothing milk about it, it is not dairy) and kale.
    Best smoothie ever.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    i never use milk. my go to is usually some frozen fruit, some kale or spinach, protein powder, chia and water.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    thank you so much for your tips, unfortunately Im not a fan of any diary products no milk no cheese, only thing I do like is ice cream haha. don't know why but since I was young the smell, the taste, the look etc of milk just made me gag.
    Im looking to make more of a fruit juice smoothie like mango and orange juice and some crushed ice in it etc was just wondering if anyone else had similar ideas.

I freeze my fruit and use it instead of ice cubes. Makes for a better smoothie, especially bananas but mango is one of my favorites. Today I made a smoothie with a carrot, stalk of celery, half a pear, quarter of a banana, half cup raw spinach, a little cucumber and water. Nutritious and tasty as well.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Bananas and frozen fruit and if you like coconut water those are good mixers and can replace milk easily.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Just be careful how much fruit juice you're using. There's a lot of sugar and carbs in fruits that can really quickly bump up the calories of a smoothie. Especially if you're already adding fresh fruit as well. So make sure you use the recipe builder and test out your proposed smoothie plan before just going for it. It's not that hard to end up with a 400-500 calorie smoothie when you add a bunch of fruit to fruit juice. Which may be okay if it's a meal replacement and you're packing in your protein somewhere else.

I tend to go heavy on the fresh veggies and greens, then add only enough fruit to sweeten it. For two 20oz smoothies, I usually have a max of about 125g of fruit.

Don't be afraid to cut back on the fruit. It's amazing how sweet you can make a smoothie taste with only a small amount of fruit. :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Juice - orange, apple, tomato.....Anything like that?
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    I've used Water, Green Tea, Banas and apples as my base all depending on if I want it creamy or not. Like another poster said I usually just take a look in the fridge adn see what I have them come up with whatever. I think my fave so far is a carrot Cake one I did

1 large carrot
    1/2 frozen banana
    tsp-tbsp of fresh ginger
    pumpkin pie spice
    a little vanilla extract.

For a little more protein I opt for seeds instead of powders. like almonds, flax, and chia
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Coconut milk is yummy replacement
  • I use oat milk in my smoothies with frozen bananas, apple or peach butter, and some ground up nuts.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I never use milk in my smoothies.

Water
    1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
    3-4 ice cubes (this thickens it up beautifully)
    + whatever I feel like...

could be orange segments and baby spinach = green smoothie
    strawberries
    banana

Or any combination that you like!!