How do you do it, especially those who have lost so much

Options
Why is it that starting a program and actually sticking with it can be so difficult? If you want something, such as losing weight, you would think that you would just be able to start a program and stick with it. Not me, I get annoyed with myself, discouraged, and disgusted. It is much easier being fat, eating whatever you want and being lazy. I need a kick in the *kitten*. :)

Replies

• KathyPerry70
    KathyPerry70 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm in the 'lost so much' category... yet... but I can relate to how you're feeling. I need to remind myself on a daily (hourly..., minutely..., secondly!) basis why I want to lose weight/get healthy. Lots of the time I listen to myself... Sometimes I don't. What others say may help inspire me and keep me going or get me back on track, but it's me who has to do the hard work of making good choices. And it is hard. But the more often I listen to my own good advice and the good advice of others, the better results I see and the better I feel. And that helps me to persevere.

Lessons I'm constantly reminding myself of in my daily challenge of getting healthier (and hopefully thinner):

~ It's a damned slow process. But I didn't get this way overnight so shouldn't expect to undo it all over night. 1-2lbs per week is a reasonable expectation for me. If that means I only lose 5lbs in a month, I have to be okay with that, and pleased with my achievements. There is no such things as a magic pill.

~ Whatever I do has to be sustainable forever. If I 'diet' by cutting all sugar, or all baked goods, or if I live on just white and green foods, I will lose weight. But as soon as I re-introduce the no-no foods, I'll gain the weight back. And probably a few extra lbs too as my body's way of saying "Take that for depriving me!". My new normal way of eating (reasonable portion sizes, lots of water, much lower amounts of 'junk food', a lot more healthy foods, within a specific daily calorie limit) has to be something I can do for the rest of my life.

~ Tracking my food and exercise makes me a lot more aware of what (and how much) I'm eating. It also makes me think twice about how I'm going to spend my calories. Yes, I think of my daily allotment like an account with limited funds in it that I need to make last for the whole day! Being accurate is very important. Overdrafts are costly (to my goals and my self esteem). For me, no foods are off limits, but if my goal is to be healthier, I will reach that faster by making better food choices. I'm more likely to make bad choices on days I don't track my food and exercise (or more likely to not track if I eat poorly or don't exercise). So tracking is important.

~ While weight loss is 90% about what I eat, exercise will help make me feel better. And if I feel better, I'm more likely to make better choices. But, again, the activity I do has to be something I enjoy, something I can do easily. Otherwise it's too easy to talk myself out of it. It's nice to exercise with a friend, but I can't rely on friends for my motivation. I have to motivate me and make a commitment to myself in order to reach my goals. If I can help friends at the same time, yeh!

~ While I'm entitled to have a stern word with myself when I mess up, I can't beat myself up and use it as an excuse to give up. I have to do my best to learn from my mistakes and then put them behind me and start over again.

Persevering to achieve a weight loss goal is difficult because it's hard work. Change is almost always hard. Even change for the better. But when that hard work starts to pay off, and your changes are paying dividends, it's sooo worth it!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

~ I didn't get this way overnight so shouldn't expect to undo it all over night. If that means I only lose 5lbs in a month, I have to be okay with that, and pleased with my achievements. There is no such things as a magic pill.

~ Whatever I do has to be sustainable forever. My new normal way of eating (reasonable portion sizes, lots of water, much lower amounts of 'junk food', a lot more healthy foods, within a specific daily calorie limit) has to be something I can do for the rest of my life.

~ Tracking my food and exercise makes me a lot more aware of what (and how much) I'm eating. It also makes me think twice about how I'm going to spend my calories. Being accurate is very important. For me, no foods are off limits, but if my goal is to be healthier, I will reach that faster by making better food choices. I'm more likely to make bad choices on days I don't track my food and exercise (or more likely to not track if I eat poorly or don't exercise). So tracking is important.

~ While weight loss is 90% about what I eat, exercise will help make me feel better. And if I feel better, I'm more likely to make better choices. But, again, the activity I do has to be something I enjoy, something I can do easily. Otherwise it's too easy to talk myself out of it.

~ While I'm entitled to have a stern word with myself when I mess up, I can't beat myself up and use it as an excuse to give up. I have to do my best to learn from my mistakes and then put them behind me and start over again.

That's really great advice.
    You have to make changes that you can live with forever. That means being patient with yourself, finding exercises you enjoy, and learning how to eat a balanced diet. Eat lots of healthy foods that help you stay within your calorie goals and hit your macros for the day, but allow yourself the room to have foods that you enjoy. There's no way I'm going to live the rest of my life without beer, pizza, or chocolate, so I work those things into my calories whenever I want them. If you don't feel deprived of anything, you have no reason quit. :smile:

You can do it! Just make small changes.
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    I don't think I'm in the 'lost so much' category... yet... but I can relate to how you're feeling. I need to remind myself on a daily (hourly..., minutely..., secondly!) basis why I want to lose weight/get healthy. Lots of the time I listen to myself... Sometimes I don't. What others say may help inspire me and keep me going or get me back on track, but it's me who has to do the hard work of making good choices. And it is hard. But the more often I listen to my own good advice and the good advice of others, the better results I see and the better I feel. And that helps me to persevere.

Lessons I'm constantly reminding myself of in my daily challenge of getting healthier (and hopefully thinner):

~ It's a damned slow process. But I didn't get this way overnight so shouldn't expect to undo it all over night. 1-2lbs per week is a reasonable expectation for me. If that means I only lose 5lbs in a month, I have to be okay with that, and pleased with my achievements. There is no such things as a magic pill.

~ Whatever I do has to be sustainable forever. If I 'diet' by cutting all sugar, or all baked goods, or if I live on just white and green foods, I will lose weight. But as soon as I re-introduce the no-no foods, I'll gain the weight back. And probably a few extra lbs too as my body's way of saying "Take that for depriving me!". My new normal way of eating (reasonable portion sizes, lots of water, much lower amounts of 'junk food', a lot more healthy foods, within a specific daily calorie limit) has to be something I can do for the rest of my life.

~ Tracking my food and exercise makes me a lot more aware of what (and how much) I'm eating. It also makes me think twice about how I'm going to spend my calories. Yes, I think of my daily allotment like an account with limited funds in it that I need to make last for the whole day! Being accurate is very important. Overdrafts are costly (to my goals and my self esteem). For me, no foods are off limits, but if my goal is to be healthier, I will reach that faster by making better food choices. I'm more likely to make bad choices on days I don't track my food and exercise (or more likely to not track if I eat poorly or don't exercise). So tracking is important.

~ While weight loss is 90% about what I eat, exercise will help make me feel better. And if I feel better, I'm more likely to make better choices. But, again, the activity I do has to be something I enjoy, something I can do easily. Otherwise it's too easy to talk myself out of it. It's nice to exercise with a friend, but I can't rely on friends for my motivation. I have to motivate me and make a commitment to myself in order to reach my goals. If I can help friends at the same time, yeh!

Persevering to achieve a weight loss goal is difficult because it's hard work. Change is almost always hard. Even change for the better. But when that hard work starts to pay off, and your changes are paying dividends, it's sooo worth it!

QFT. Brilliant, inspirational advice! I haven't lost a lot yet, but it becoming clear to me how crucial it is that the changes I make are sustainable.
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's not easy. I've "failed" more times than I care to imagine. Honestly, I'm back on day 2 of a 3 day F it mode. The scale started to stick and the weight loss slowed down and I got discouraged. It happens. All that matters is you get back up and start working at it again. The good thing about messing up is that you can fix the problem. Yes, you may from time to time say screw it and gain a pound or 2, but you can also lose that weight again and learn from it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the "lost so much" category yet either, but I'm doing OK. I think most that have been successful over the long haul make reasonable changes that can be sustained forever. They aren't at the gym 16 hours a day and eating nothing but celery and lettuce. They have good days and bad days (and don't freak out because they "blew it" and quit). They are eating foods they enjoy, and being active in ways they enjoy. They eat cookies and ice cream and pizza and bacon cheeseburgers-they just don't eat all of them. Activity is anything other than sitting on the couch. All activity burns calories. You don't have to run 10 miles just to burn calories. I burn more calories doing things like parking further from the store, walking around the yard with the dogs, being inefficient doing laundry (making lots of trips up and down the stairs) on an everyday, all day basis than I do "working out". Do whatever you can and more importantly, do something you actually enjoy. The options are endless. To lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than your body burns. Move more (to burn more calories), eat less (or less calorie dense/more nutrient-rich foods). And for goodness sake, don't give up because you had a bad day.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I decided what I want most. I am not going to allow anything, anyone, any food, to keep me from becoming the best me I can be.

As already mentioned, lifestyle changes are important. I have a long diet history so I looked back at what things were good and where things went wrong. I added the behaviors that worked & eliminated those that did not. I also eliminated foods that repeatedly proved to be unhealthy for me. If something makes me have horrible cravings and want to eat nonstop it does not belong in my life.

I have made some hard choices that, at one time, I would have thought impossible. But once they were made I discovered those choices made losing easier. I am happy with how I eat & I can eat this way forever. I have no uncontrollable food temptations. There are no days when I eat junk food but there are no days when I want it. I've eliminated the things that caused me to fail in the past.

I work every day to make sure I eat healthy meals and don't get over-hungry. I track my food & exercise mostly to make sure I don't under-eat. I listen to my body.

And I am aware every single day that I am just one bad choice away from undoing everything good I've accomplished.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Why is it sometimes really difficult? Trying to change too much too quickly and ending up in a punishment / reward cycle. If you make small changes gradually over a long period of time, it's a lot easier to stick with it.

The only thing I did cold-turkey was giving up meat (and that was done with the help of a lot of documentaries which put me off meat and I never looked back). After that, I just started flooding my diet with vegetables and making little adjustments every two weeks or so, and the weight just started falling off.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Why is it sometimes really difficult? Trying to change too much too quickly and ending up in a punishment / reward cycle. If you make small changes gradually over a long period of time, it's a lot easier to stick with it.

The only thing I did cold-turkey was giving up meat (and that was done with the help of a lot of documentaries which put me off meat and I never looked back). After that, I just started flooding my diet with vegetables and making little adjustments every two weeks or so, and the weight just started falling off.

Unlike Cora, not only will I eat the meat but kill the animal it will be coming from :)

I am not really in the "lost so much" category either but it looks like you have already been given great advice.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Why is it that starting a program and actually sticking with it can be so difficult? If you want something, such as losing weight, you would think that you would just be able to start a program and stick with it. Not me, I get annoyed with myself, discouraged, and disgusted. It is much easier being fat, eating whatever you want and being lazy. I need a kick in the *kitten*. :)

Funnily enough, I was thinking the same last night!! I too get annoyed with myself, discouraged, and disgusted. And yes, I was also thinking, It is much much much easier being fat, eating whatever you want and being lazy. I want the end results, without the hardwork :blushing: (Yes I'm aware thats not possible!!!) and the mental upset! (Stress, tears, annoyance, disgustedness!)

I go to the gym, then instead of feeling good, I feel awful after looking at myself in those hidious mirrors for so long!!

It's so hard, but I suppose anything that you do want in life, you have to work for it! We did a good job of gaining the weight, and its so easy to do, we need to concentrate on a target and hopefully, one day, we will all get to our own personal goals.

Until then.... I guess I'll have to personally work on the mental side of things!!! :angry: :sad:

Good luck to you in your own challenge! :)
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Sorry - Forgot to add.... Im not in the 'lost so much' catagory either! Just wanted to say, I feel the same as you do sometimes!
  • hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What a good well-balanced and encouraging post. Thank you.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

This ^^^ pretty much says it.

Ohh and NEVER GIVE UP
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I Love this reply - it was very inspirational. I am just starting out too! :smile:
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

brilliant advice :flowerforyou:
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    A great post!!! I have lost, maintained and now gained a few lbs back. I am back on track and love to read these motivational posts. I know my downfall food is wine. In May when the weather got good, I loved to sit outside, sip a glass and enjoy the day. However, one glass turned into more and then a binge. This went on for a few months and now I find myself with 10 extra lbs. I stopped the habit and am back on track. I have to keep in mind that some foods I cannot have as I can't do moderation (not yet). I am back to my habit of daily weighing, food and exercise logging and reading posts to keep me going. Yes, get back on track and don't give up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's why I put it off for so long, honestly. It was easier and more satisfactory to just eat whatever I wanted and not gain much weight (seriously, I put on what, 8 lbs in 3 years?). Then one day I got sick of being fat and eating junk all the time, and it was much easier to stick to it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I didn't try to make all the changes in one day. I started with one change, then added others as I went.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I have a problem with being really hard on my self. It takes time to lose weight, so it takes a little patience.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Between work and a busy family schedule, I haven't found that answer either, but I am more determined than ever. Losing weight gets harder each year. If THAT's NOT motivation, nothing is.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You have to really want it!
    The emotional joy I got from sticking to it was so unexpected.
    I will never be overweight again.
    It is a life process.
    Good luck to you