Binge Eating: HELP

Options

Replies

• mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I too binge eat and even more so now that I injured my back and not able to run until it heals..it has not been almost 3 months. I found myself eating half my son's birthday cake last night and decide today to stop making excuses of why I can't run...for now...and start doing other activities. I am unsure how to control the binging...i do it because I know truly I am not happy.

I have gained 20 lbs in the last year from binging, but more recently the weight gain came this past few months.

Feel free to add me.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater. Diagnosed. Also, severe bipolar disorder, and a whole bunch of other psychological and physical disorders. Too many to list.

I'm here to tell you that BED is often NOT psychological. It is a symptom of malnutrition and addiction. When the body does not get enough healthy, nutrient dense food (fats and protein) it will say EAT EAT EAT. And the hormones that regulate fat storage and appetite are telling you that you are hungry, even though you know that you are not. Certain foods do have addictive properties because of how they affect hormones in the body. If you stop eating those foods, things will get better.

WHAT you eat matters. Really. Just counting calories, moderation, and willpower does NOT work for BED. And I'm sick of seeing that kind of advice and then getting flamed for giving relevant information based on my own personal experience with BED.

OP: I won't stay here and argue with the others, but I hope you give some consideration to what I have said and explore the issue further.
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I was a binge eater. Diagnosed. Also, severe bipolar disorder, and a whole bunch of other psychological and physical disorders. Too many to list.

I'm here to tell you that BED is often NOT psychological. It is a symptom of malnutrition and addiction. When the body does not get enough healthy, nutrient dense food (fats and protein) it will say EAT EAT EAT. And the hormones that regulate fat storage and appetite are telling you that you are hungry, even though you know that you are not. Certain foods do have addictive properties because of how they affect hormones in the body. If you stop eating those foods, things will get better.

WHAT you eat matters. Really. Just counting calories, moderation, and willpower does NOT work for BED. And I'm sick of seeing that kind of advice and then getting flamed for giving relevant information based on my own personal experience with BED.

OP: I won't stay here and argue with the others, but I hope you give some consideration to what I have said and explore the issue further.

Thanks so much for your helpful input :) It makes sense what you've said, and I especially agree that "willpower does not work for BED." Willpower is something that seems temporary to me. It's never a feeling that sticks with me. I think that it's definitely behavior modification that works, like the ACT of doing things to change your habits. i.e. journaling, talking to someone, etc.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me with my binges is not "dieting" and making sure I get enough good food in me such as:
    Fresh fruits
    Veggies
    Protein
    Fats
    I eat my fill while staying within my calorie goal and drink plenty of water. I can't say that I never binge anymore, but my binges contain less food, healthier choices and happen only once in a long while when I either haven't eaten for a while or I ate too little or have had a lot of stress.
    I also allow myself my favorite treat-chocolate.
  • xfilme
    xfilme Posts: 21
    Options
    Im a binge eater. Ive never really thought bout it until this post, but I realise now that I am. I can eat and eat. Multiple servings of most things. I live alone so always have food left when I cook a meal. I usually eat all of it. Sweet stuff is just as bad. When I want it, I get loads of stuff. Then I gorge on it. I have this backward philosophy that if Ive purchased things I know that are bad for me, its better to eat the lot and get it out of the way than to mess up every day with still having naughty food around me. This philosophy carries me through til bedtime, as I go to sleep feeling like tomorrows going to be a fresh start. Then the next day, I wake up and think, i could do with something naughty, and ill get it again because I cant stop myself, and then the cycle starts over again. I love food too much, both sweet and savory. Ive tried so many times to change the way I eat, but it keeps drifting back to 10% healthy and 90% binge eating again. Really need to sort my life out.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eat at least maintenance calories daily until you can control yourself and you wont binge . Bingeing is obviously going to happen when you restrict yourself and obsess over food . Id say any human being is prone to binge eating especially when they obsess and stay in too much of a calorie deficit , Moderation is key . Eat protein + carbs + fats , get in a healthy balanced diet , and the most important thing is to eat enough EVERY DAY.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Ah, I forgot I never came back and commented on this! Anyway, binge eating has been a huge part of my life. Growing up we had unlimited access to food and as a shy and already overweight child I ate my feelings. Keep in mind it has taken me 10 years to get where I am now and it probably sounds more simple than it is, but after working at this awhile here's what works for me: 1) Not restricting too much. I tried 1200, I tried 1400, it was too low. I'd find myself obsessing and by the end of the night I was all screw it and would eat everything. It took awhile, but 1500-1700 net worked well for me for awhile 2) Not keeping trigger foods in the house. I had to give up cereal completely and no longer keep ice cream in the house. Some nights I really want to binge and it sucks when all there is are veggies or cheese sticks, but it keeps me in line 3) Working out. Especially with MFP getting those extra calories is a blessing. It's just another way to curb that "I only have x amount left" anxiety. Plus I just feel different after a workout, it makes me not want to eat as much 4) Saving 400-500 calories for after dinner. I know some people say eating at night is bad, but that's when I want to eat and if I try not to I end up binging at least 1000 cals. I figure whatever I plan to eat has to be better than that!

It's still a work in progress. For years I've been considering Overeaters Anonymous but I have yet to take the time to go. They have some stuff you can listen to on their website that really makes it sound great. And it's awesome to hear people talk about food the way I think of it (where my friends would probably think I'm a crazy person).
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i just did this yesterday ... ate a whole pint of ben & jerry's ice cream :sad:
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book "Brain over Binge". I used to feel helpless with my binges and ever since reading this book I have stopped binging completely.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Im a binge eater too. I will be doing so well, staying on track then I will eat something I shouldnt and say to myself, " well I screwed up the day so I might as well keep going" then that one cookie turns into a whole package! I havent got a hold on it yet but I have faith I soon will and you will too!
    :-) good luck!!
  • amyknjones
    Options
    First of all, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I am a TOTAL binge eater. For me, it comes in waves. Personally, I have realized I can't allow myself to have those "free" days where I don't focus on what I eat or count my calories because I end up on a 6 month+ binge where it's happening every night. And like you, I say, "I won't do it again tomorrow!" So what helped me get past it this time (and I do still struggle sometimes) is know first, when my binges happen. For me, it's always at night and as soon as I make the choice to eat better, the desire to binge gets even bigger because I feel like I'm never going to get to eat the things I love again (though I know that's not true). This is going to sound crazy, but when I started out tracking, I left room for small binges at night. I still ate in the morning and afternoon, but I ate less so that I could allow myself to eat more at night. Then I didn't feel so restricted. As I did this, as well as started eating healthier foods, the desire to binge has gone away and I don't think about food near as much. It's a weird, warped way to do it because it's still enabling the binging, but for me, it really helped and I haven't binged in awhile. I also have tried to channel my anger/frustration/stress/sadness into working out. I focus on those things in the gym and that really helps too. Just so you know, I was so bad at one point that I went to an Overeater's Anonymous meeting, but felt weird there so I didn't go back. It's a tough thing to deal with, but you are a strong woman and aware which is the first step in making a permanent change. Add me! I would love to encourage you along!!
  • amyknjones
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention that the other thing that has helped me lately is when I feel like I want to binge, I sit down with some water and read success stories and look at before/after pictures. Then before I know it, either the desire has passed or it's bed time. :)
  • giveMEbeauty
    Options
    I'm a struggling binge eater too . Advice welcome :-)
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone has recommended these books yet but Geneen Roth has a great book "Breaking free from emotional eating", and Evelyn Tribole has one that's somewhat similar called Intuitive Eating. Both talk a lot about re-establishing your relationship with food, and how diets can backfire with people who have eating disorders (or just a tendency to eat for reasons other than hunger!).
  • livtx
    livtx Posts: 7
    Options
    Im a binge eater. Ive never really thought bout it until this post, but I realise now that I am. I can eat and eat. Multiple servings of most things. I live alone so always have food left when I cook a meal. I usually eat all of it. Sweet stuff is just as bad. When I want it, I get loads of stuff. Then I gorge on it. I have this backward philosophy that if Ive purchased things I know that are bad for me, its better to eat the lot and get it out of the way than to mess up every day with still having naughty food around me. This philosophy carries me through til bedtime, as I go to sleep feeling like tomorrows going to be a fresh start. Then the next day, I wake up and think, i could do with something naughty, and ill get it again because I cant stop myself, and then the cycle starts over again. I love food too much, both sweet and savory. Ive tried so many times to change the way I eat, but it keeps drifting back to 10% healthy and 90% binge eating again. Really need to sort my life out.

I feel the same way! I'm definitely an all or nothing kind of person. I feel like I binge the most when I'm alone (I live by myself too). Even if I tend to overeat and feel the same extreme "stuffness" when I eat out with friends, I don't feel the same guilt that I do when I'm alone. I heard Brain over Binge is an excellent book when we just want to reach for food just for the heck of it. I need to live by the quote "Eat to live, but not live to eat."
  • Shandra101
    Shandra101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've recently come to the realization that I have a binge eating disorder as well. I'm in the stage of being mindful of what is happening to me and so far noticed that it happens when I'm highly emotional, especially when things are happening outside of my control. I will not feel hungry, had plenty of healthy foods throughout the day and yet I will consume any food product as quickly as possible and beyond the feeling of being uncomfortable into some serious physical pain. This is always done alone and I feel completely embarrassed and disgusted with myself.

I'm already exercising and using my social supports but I too need more ideas. I use to journal so I think I'll try that again.

Is there a binge eating group we can join on MFP? I'm going to go search for that next.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Blogged about this recently...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SkimFlatWhite68/view/who-needs-enemies-when-you-have-self-sabotage-567076
    ..if you would like to read it, my confessions are all there.

It's really one day at a time, and then one week will pass and it gets easier. I have found that putting systems in place that prevent me from binge eating works. I don't have my trigger foods at home because I know I can't stop myself if I start. There is no "just have one chocolate biscuit" for me - it's none or the whole packet. I have found that reducing sugar (generally) in my diet has worked and reduces cravings for sweet things. Fruit is my sweet thing now. Strawberries and yoghurt in particular. When cravings hit, I try my best to ride it out, and not having chocolate at home means I can't buy it.

It's not easy, but it does GET easier.

There is a Binge Eating Support group here, go to groups and join if you think that might help. I also find that keeping my MFP diary HONEST every day, and having supportive friends makes all the difference. I don't want to let them down!!

Above all, know that you are NOT alone and there are so many people who suffer from binge eating.
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shea33ana
    shea33ana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been binging and purging since I was 13, its a daaily struggle. I joined mfp to hold myself accountable and find other people like me. I am 33 and tired of this way of life. I have started keeping "safe" non trigger foods around me at all times and to plan and portion my meals out ahead of time,one day at a time, this is a pain with 4 kids,but its the only way I know to control the urge. I make my meals and snacks the night before and do not go to the store alone , this helps me control my urge. I hope to find friends on here to help me hold myself accountable. Although this disorder is an ugly thing I am glad to see I am not alone and hope we are able to support one another. Would love to have more friends who are struggling with this, I just joined last night but am ready to take control of this !let's help each other!
  • nursenelson
    Options
    ahhhh I was going to add you as a friend but you deactivated your account
    anybody else wanna be my friend?
    I'm very supportive and motivated....
    Heather
    friends welcome :)