'diet' drink without chemicals

Options
124»

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm already trying to go to 'black' coffee vs. coffee w/splenda and milk, in an effort to 'save' calories for other meals and again... avoid the artificial sweeteners.

Somehow I made it from 0-40 without ever trying "light roast" coffee - if you've always had dark roast - give light roast a try too.

It's really good and a bit easier black, IMO.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, do Americans learn any chemistry in high school???

Why are there so many of you that have absolutely no grasp of the sciences?
    I don't know but it makes me embarrassed to be an American.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You could try a natural sweetener like stevia? No cals and 'natural'. Of course there is scientific evidence for and against this too, as with everything.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Since everything is made of chemicals, obviously they're all good for you. So, you should get some VX and use it to enhance your water. It may be hard to find nowadays, though.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    so... I've never made iced tea before. Do you mean when you put a bunch of tea bags in a container of water and leave it out in the sun?

I make hot tea all the time and it seems like you need the boiling water to release the tea from the bags...

I actually would not do that. Sun tea can grow all kinds of dangerous bacteria. And unlike artificial sweeteners, that really could kill you.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

** ignore those that pretend they don't know you mean man-made chemical additives. They have nothing better to do, apparently.

^QFT. And apparently OP is good at it anyways :smile:

There is really no need to be arrogant because someone didn't specify "man-made/artificial". It doesn't make you look smart, just makes you look like an *kitten*.

Right because man made/artificial must mean they're bad. Also apparently you haven't read many posts here and seem to think people have average intelligence when it comes to nutrition, that would be a mistake

I never said they were bad. No one here did. No need to jump to conclusions and put words in peoples mouths man.

And no, I think that people have a less than average intelligence when it comes to nutrition, and if they had an average or above average intelligence on the subject, they wouldn't be underweight/overweight an seeking help on MFP in the first place.

All these assumptions, sheeeeeeesh!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

No offense, and I really mean that I don't mean to offend you or anyone by saying this, but there is a loooooot more to be embarrassed about than a poor education system in the US. :frown:
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You can make an argument that there are chemicals in everything but I am not trying to do that or listen to that. Reasonable care in what you drink for achieving health. This spring I order a Stevia plant. This plant is 1000 sweeter than sugar so a few leaves in my tea or fruit flavored water sweeten it right up. I also buy the Stevia (Truvia is one of those sweeteners) in the store this is a natural sweetener from the dried stevia plant. I am only worried with the sweeteners that are harmful to my health not necessarily sweeteners that have chemicals in them since all things are made up of chemical compounds if you get technical. This is a good sweetener that is not dangerous to your health.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

No offense, and I really mean that I don't mean to offend you or anyone by saying this, but there is a loooooot more to be embarrassed about than a poor education system in the US. :frown:

A poor education system in a country that can afford a good education system & simply copy successful models elsewhere in the world is something to be extremely embrassed about. A better educated society would have less to be embrassed about.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    One more thing to add to OP: If you are worried about chemically processed sweeteners, you may want to keep from consuming something like Truvia. Many stevia sweeteners on the market are highly chemically processed and is comprised of synthetic erythritol which, if you looked at the site I linked to earlier, is classified as an artificial sweetener.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Zevia soft drinks are sweetened with Stevia which is a plant.
    No artificial sweeteners.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Fail at context much?
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, avoid that poisonous dihydrogen monoxide chemical in your drinks. In large doses it will kill you.

Don't you realize EVERYTHING is a chemical?? Some chemicals are natural, some are made in labs; nature makes good chemicals and it makes poisonous ones, and labs make good chemicals and poisonous ones as well. And everything is bad for you in overly large doses. Stop being afraid of everything that didn't grow from a tree, people. Things that grow from trees can kill you too.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on chemicals. I'm a stupid American that took chemistry in 11th grade and destroyed that part of my brain by smoking a lot of weed in College while I studied for my current occupation.

Now that I have that out of the way...

I try to avoid artificial sweeteners when I can. I avoid Diet Sodas and "little yellow packets". I still drink them, but very infrequently.

- I googled "infused water" and found a bunch of recipes for making water less boring with fruit and ice and time.
    - I try to drink seltzer water with a lemon when I want the bubbly
    - I supplement all of that with Rum.

*shrug*
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    water
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    great idea! I always drink dark because I lightened it with milk. I'll try a light roast!
    I'm already trying to go to 'black' coffee vs. coffee w/splenda and milk, in an effort to 'save' calories for other meals and again... avoid the artificial sweeteners.

Somehow I made it from 0-40 without ever trying "light roast" coffee - if you've always had dark roast - give light roast a try too.

It's really good and a bit easier black, IMO.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    all matter that is visible to the human eye is a chemical

TLDR everything
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    love it;)

I'm no expert on chemicals. I'm a stupid American that took chemistry in 11th grade and destroyed that part of my brain by smoking a lot of weed in College while I studied for my current occupation.

Now that I have that out of the way...

I try to avoid artificial sweeteners when I can. I avoid Diet Sodas and "little yellow packets". I still drink them, but very infrequently.

- I googled "infused water" and found a bunch of recipes for making water less boring with fruit and ice and time.
    - I try to drink seltzer water with a lemon when I want the bubbly
    - I supplement all of that with Rum.

*shrug*