200+ lbs ladies in gym

Options
I'm currently at the weight of 216lbs and I go to work out in gym almost everyday, while sincerely tying to maintain the diet recommended by MFP. My level of physical activity, aside from gym, is very minimal. On the worst days, the max I can do is 200 calories, and then some strength machines. On an average day - 500. But I've been doin from 700-1000 calories burned, for a couple of days. While I can see the result quickly on the scale by doing so, I can't handle doing it everyday. Any advice as to what to do? With a BMR of about 1800, how many calories would I have to burn on cardiovascular machines to see a result after a week of burning that amount of calories?

Any help is much appreciated.

Replies

• malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure what your asking but keep in mind,

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Callmecookie88
    Callmecookie88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you let your weight loss live and die on immediate, instant results, you won't get anything accomplished. It's not like your pants fit too snugly in the morning, so you go work out in the afternoon, and then you can wear them that evening. Just like it takes your body a couple days to show the weight from eating second helpings of lasagna and then a piece of cheesecake for dinner, it takes your body a couple days to show that you burned some fat. When you first start working out regularly you will lose more quickly, but the longer you work out the less marginal utility you will get. It's got to be a rewarding experience, not a quick fix.
    BTW, it is more effective to use weights BEFORE you do cardio. You want to get the most out of your time and efforts.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anyone could really answer that question without a lot more information, but keep in mind that a healthy weekly weight loss would be between 1 and 2 pounds, probably closer to 1. I don't know how you have set up your MFP settings, but I suggest setting a 1 pound per week goal and follow the recommended calorie goal and see how you do. You can always tweak it later. Take your time and don't worry too much about how many calories you are burning. That will increase as you become healthier. Good Luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand your question.

Set your MFP goal for 'lose 1 lb a week', then log your exercise, it will give you extra calories to eat. Remember that the machines at the gym often overestimate your calories, so if it says you burned 300 calories, log 200 or something. And eat them back. That's how MFP works... exercising more isn't supposed to give you a bigger deficit, it just gives you more calories to eat, because you need fuel for the exercise you do.

And don't kill yourself trying to work out too much to lose faster. It's not really going to help, and you'll just burn out. You want to try and set an activity level that you can maintain for a long time. Heck when I was 210 lbs I was barely working out 20 minutes a day. Eat whole nutritious foods and you'll see that you don't really need that many calories anyway (my goal was 1700 calories when I started MFP).
  • Chrissy_Ivers
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I didn't exactly mean how many calories I need to burn for a fast, and temporary, shift on the scale. I just mean, with the amount I eat, and the BMR and all, and the luxuries of a gym, how much would be a good amount to burn in the gym to boost the weight loss process, instead of remaining on the same spot.
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It appears that you are just beginning your "healthy living" journey. Congratulations! Now, do not overdo. It is important to moderately--that is, VERY SLOWLY, lose weight at your stage because if you lose more than .5-1.5 pounds a week, you will not give your body the chance to tighten your skin, and you will have a lot of excess and begin to look saggy.
    My best advice for you is to monitor your calorie intake-- regardless of how much you work out, you will benefit from keeping your calorie goal at under 2000. Keep your workouts about 30 minutes or so; try walking on a moderate incline on the treadmill, and hold 2 2-lb dumbbells or anklets for muscle strengthening.
    Also, don't just weigh yourself. You will not always see the number go down on the scale, so monitor your other measurements, i.e., waistline, thighs, neck, wrists.

If you do this, you will see steady improvement (on and off the scale) within two weeks.

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    What most people are saying -- it takes time to build a habit. Exercise needs to be a habit and that means committing to it X times a week for at least 90 days. After 30 days it should become part of your life, but after 90 days, you're committed.

Don't burn yourself out by working out too much. If you're starting, a 30-45-minute session should be fine as long as you are working out during that time. Try to commit to 4 times a week. After a month you will up your sessions or intensity.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I started at 218. I weigh myself once a week, I'm happier with my weigh ins then and my caloric intake is between 1200 - 1600 depending on if I do my workout and how much I burn when I do. I workout 5 days a week. My minimum goal for working out is 4 days a week. With my past "diets" I have always dropped the first 20 lbs with in 1 to 1 1/2 months and then it slows down. My goal is 1 pound a week. If I lose more then yay me! My advice is to not only weigh in but do your measurements. Sometimes you wont lose weight but you'll lose inches. It's really best to go by how you feel. Try not to burn yourself out and reward yourself with a non-food reward when you reach a mini goal. :)
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Easiest formula is to burn 3500 a week to lose 1 pound, whether that be killing 500 calories in the gym, or a diet reduction. If you want to lose 2 lbs a week, cut 7000 calories from diet a week. so maybe an hour of cardio everyday and eating a healthy diet of 1600-1700 or something like that.

3500 calories = 1 pound
    500 calories burned each day x 7 = 1 lb weight loss a week

Wouldn't advise trying to lose over 2, if you do lose more, your body was ready for the change. Good luck!
  • Chrissy_Ivers
    Options
    That's really all what I wanted to know. Thankfully, MFP has given me 1200 calories a day due to my weight and inactivity, and 500 calories burned every day in gym is just about what I can handle. So it's good to know that I've been doing great in gym - now I just need to suck it up and start being more honest with the diet.

Thanks a lot.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you won't really start to see results for at least the first month or two. Especially because you lose weight but gain muscle. I think everyone is different, and it will take some time to find out what is working best for you. If you are making your best effort to stay under your calorie goal and exercising daily, you should begin to see results, even if they are small at first. If you're concerned about your caloric intake, share your diary, let your friends hold you accountable. MFP should set your goal, but I'd say 1200-1500 calories a day is ideal. I agree with what everyone has said as far as moderation. You shouldn't expect to see dramatic results right away, and I don't think there's really a formula for losing a large amount of weight quickly. When you burn more than 2 pounds a week, you can rebound and put the weight right back on. If you start losing too much weight too drastically or cutting yourself back too far on calories, your body will go into starvation mode and store everything it can to maintain your current weight. Eating healthy and staying active are always the safest bet. Don't be afraid to give yourself a rest day. You don't want to injure yourself, but if you're feeling the hurt, that's a good sign. Your body needs time to recuperate between workouts. It doesn't have to be the gym everyday. Give yourself an easy day once or twice a week and just take a walk or do some serious cleaning/gardening. Physical activity = burning calories. If you work up a sweat and get your heart rate up, you've done good. If there's a day you don't feel up to the gym, stay home and try finding an alternate activity that'll be easier on you. Youtube has tons of great fitness videos of exercises you can do at home, like these: https://www.youtube.com/user/runtasticFitness?feature=watch. Basic strength training can (sometimes) be less punishing, and it helps you build strength and endurance to push through your workouts. But any good cardio will help you kill calories, be it yardwork, dancing, a long walk.
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I would NOT eat the 1200 MFP recommends. if your BMR is 1800 that is too low
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Exercise 20-60 minutes, about 3-6 times per week. Find the balance point where it's sustainable. When you exercise, it's not about how many calories you burn. It's about becoming better, faster, stronger, fitter.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What you are looking for is a sustainable New Lifestyle. One you can live for the rest of your life, at normal weight. I recommend searching for the thread called "In Place of a Roadmap", it is full of excellent tips.

I had MFP set at 1 lb a week, and that worked for quite a while. But as I got closer to my goal weight, MFP kept lowering the amount of calories I was allowed until finally I was at 1200 a day. I was at a plateau, not losing, and feeling just so deprived and frustrated. I went back to the IPOARM thread and upped my goals, switched to 1/2 lb a week, which upped my calories... also I upped my weight lifting. It is working and I am no longer feeling deprived, and have started losing again.

It's a lifelong journey you've embarked on. I wish I had started when I was young. But I didn't. I'm glad I finally did it though. You can do it! You just need to want it, and then keep after it. A normal weight is within our grasp! We just have to reach for it, and keep reaching. Good luck!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    PACE YOURSELF!!!!
    Don't burn yourself out early into the game..this is going to take a while...slow down, you don't have to go to the gym everyday, go 3 or 4 times a day...Try to build up to 225 calories, then 250 etc...every week.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Unfortunate, reducing is about 80/20 diet and exercise. Exercise is merely the fine-tuning, but the diet is doing the heavy lifting (OK, bad pun!)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I didn't exactly mean how many calories I need to burn for a fast, and temporary, shift on the scale. I just mean, with the amount I eat, and the BMR and all, and the luxuries of a gym, how much would be a good amount to burn in the gym to boost the weight loss process, instead of remaining on the same spot.

Keep in mind that weight loss is something like 85% diet. So if you are eating the calories as explained, don't worry about how much you're doing at the gym. I mean, go and work out, but don't push yourself to burn more calories than you can reasonably do. IMHO 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical, giving it all you've got for that 30 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of weights, done regularly, is enough if you're eating at a proper deficit. Or you could alternate, 60 minutes of cardio on one day and 60 minutes of weights on the other.

Working out at the gym is going to help tighten up and help maintain your LBM while you lose weight. It makes you healthier in general, and helps you look good when you've lost the weight. But don't burn yourself out and exercise to the point you can't do anything else. As you continue to exercise, you'll get stronger and be able to do more (go faster, lift more, etc), but don't focus so much on the calories burned as on your progress and how you feel.

:smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't count on exercise for weight loss especially if you are eating the calories back. 90% of your weight loss will be from eating at a calorie deficit. That said, having your budget set at 1200 is ridiculously low for your stats. You might want to rethink your loss plan instead of trying to make up the difference with exercise. 1200 is as low as MFP goes so you must have chosen the 2 lb a week goal. You really shouldn't be eating below your BMR which is definitely going to be more than 1200.
  • curlyteetee
    curlyteetee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe not go everyday, maybe try 3 to 4 times a week. You could also try doing cardio without doing weights. With the machines start off with a low weight and increase the weight by 5lbs every 2 to 3 weeks. I hope this helps!