weight gain before period?

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I honestly want to know - did none of you notice this when you were younger? Didn't you ever see Pamprin commercials? I pretty much knew this cycle by the time I was 13. Were you lucky enough that this didn't happen when you were younger? I really don't understand how grown women have never noticed that they retain water (not gain fat) for a few days during their cycles.

If your cycle is erratic and you don't weigh regularly, it's possible not to know your body's pattern that well. I'm in my 30's, and while I know I do retain some water, I have no idea how close to my start date or how much because I just don't track that closely.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I always gain anywhere from 2-10 lbs before my TOM and watch it slowly drain away during. That's why I rarely weight myself at any time except a week after the conclusion of the red ceremony.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Stay well clear from the scales when it's that time......I feel huge, bloated and ugly .... All that cheers me up is naughty carbs!!!
  • No one gives af how often this is posted
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    mine is 7lb! and it stays with me for about 3 days ...

me too! :sad:

Me three :ohwell:
  • HappilyUprooted
    HappilyUprooted Posts: 1 Member
    Boy am I glad to find this thread! I thought I was losing my mind!!! Period due any day now and the scale is rising despite the fact that it should be going down!!!
  • Negative people kill my vibe. If you have no positive contribution stay off the post. I am going through this right now, it's very depressing. Things were going so well and all of a sudden 4lbs fluid back.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Its perfectly normal to gain weight and i can remember reading a study done a few years ago looking at thigh measurement in women and their monthly cycles. They showed that there is an increase in measurement just before/ first days of your period.
  • Does anyone else retain 9-10 days BEFORE you start??? This always seems to be the case for me? 3-8 lbs! You would think I would not weigh or not let it bother me but it drives me nuts!!!! lol
  • Dear period, come on and let's get this thing started. I'm up three pounds in two days. Ughhhhh!
  • foxruddellc1
    foxruddellc1 Posts: 65 Member
    Dear period, come on and let's get this thing started. I'm up three pounds in two days. Ughhhhh!

ME TOO!!!! Those 3lbs mean a lot to me :(

Anyone also have disturbed sleep patterns during this? I went to bed at 10pm an woke up at 2:30am, and I am WIDE awake.... maybe its just because I feel like I'm DYING.
  • Awe man so glad I found this lol I thought it was just a myth them I did my weekly weigh in and was like... Eh excuse me- I've put on 5lb and had been losing around 3-4lb steadily each week. Glad to know it's not just me :) I don't have a disturbed sleep pattern but I do feel wrecked even with supposedly good long sleep maybe 9 or 10 hours:/
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    It is not a myth. I get a steady increase leading up to my period, and then it all falls off the day my period finishes. :P
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    water retention :) dont even think about weighing yourself around your period you can put on 5 pounds easy.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Fortunately(?), right now I have enough weight to lose still, I don't notice the TOM gain. But, when I was younger and very physically active in sports, I would notice a 20 pound fluctuation every month. I know it sounds extreme, but I never did anything to purposefully gain or lose the weight. I'm sure a good part of it was water weight. Since I do have a history of big gains/losses, in a short period of time, this is why I'm comforted by tracking my weight daily (or close to it). I can see patterns more easily with additional data. I wouldn't worry about a couple pre-TOM pounds, though. It should come off pretty quickly.
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Happens to me every month, that's why I stay out of the scale during my period, before and after. because the weigh comes off a few days AFTER the period is over.
  • ohhhh, many thanks , I was really confuse ,what's happened to me....
  • kur0shiro
    kur0shiro Posts: 15 Member
    I think it's normal! I just gained 1.5kg in a span of 5 days and my period just started, while still following my 1200-1300 cal diet and exercise. Huhu. Been reading up on it and they all say drinking more water should help :)
  • frozentrace
    frozentrace Posts: 60 Member
    I think it's normal! I just gained 1.5kg in a span of 5 days and my period just started, while still following my 1200-1300 cal diet and exercise. Huhu. Been reading up on it and they all say drinking more water should help :)

Wow thank goodness I managed to bump into this topic.. I'm having the same problem now.. I've been feeling so thirsty the past week and been trying to cut down on my want for water.. o_O I find it so strange that I'm craving water more than normal and I haven't lost any weight the past week.. even with my vigorous exercise.. But I also haven't gained any additional weight over the week. Can't wait till this is over >_< ToM sucks.
  • I was working out on a Saturday. I had lost two pounds in one week. Then on Sunday, even after a hard work out, I had gained those two pounds back. I weighed myself at my grandma's house and I had gained an additional 3lbs. So I had gained five pounds altogether. I will be starting in ten days or sooner if this pain is any indication. I hate being a woman at this time of the month.

Diane.:glasses: