carbrohydrates

Options
I have just started Weight Loss. I just got diagnosed with Diabetes. I weighed 309 on the 20th of August. I now am 306. I want to know how many total carbs I need in the course of a day and also the correct number of calories I need in a day. I keep getting this message that I'm not eating enough calories. I need help in figuring all this out Please!

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Your doctor and/or dietician should have set you up with this information. Make an appointment so you can ask questions and get a better idea.

I've got my carbs at 40%, but my last a1c was in the normal range. You might have better luck with a lower carb percentage.

Best advise is to get with a diabetic dietician to get your glucose readings under control. You'll learn along the way what foods cause you the most issues.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have just started Weight Loss. I just got diagnosed with Diabetes. I weighed 309 on the 20th of August. I now am 306. I want to know how many total carbs I need in the course of a day and also the correct number of calories I need in a day. I keep getting this message that I'm not eating enough calories. I need help in figuring all this out Please!

Medical Doctors know VERY little about Nutrition and Healing and Prevention of disease. Find a good Naturopathic Doctor/Herbalist and maybe a Nutritionist. You need healing now and a MD can not help you, all they know to do is prescribe harmful drugs that eventually kill organs and heal nothing.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Medical Doctors know VERY little about Nutrition and Healing and Prevention of disease. Find a good Naturopathic Doctor/Herbalist and maybe a Nutritionist. You need healing now and a MD can not help you, all they know to do is prescribe harmful drugs that eventually kill organs and heal nothing.

While I don't believe doctors are always correct, I do know the dangers of uncontrolled diabetes. Some people are able to get a handle on it through diet alone, but for some medication is really the best way to go to get their blood glucose levels to a more manageable level.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    carbs total throughout the day doesnt matter all that much, just eat foods that dont spike your glucose! I wouldnt suggest eating a lot of carbs in one sitting, more than 75g give or take. mix in fats and proteins with your carbs so digestion is slowed --> glucose isnt spiked.

you require almost no carbs a day so dont ever try to hit a minimum carb threshold unless its lower than 50g

typical do not eat foods
    popcorn, rice, cookie, cake, donuts, lots of fruit, bread, etc

^if it doesnt spike your glucose than eat a way!!!
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is the best place to be for support and information. You'll do just great

To your question.... carbs .... Maybe try higher protein and higher fat to start with? Like 35% protein, 30% carbs and 35% fat. You can change your goals in MFP to be whatever percentage you want (customize)

Start at 2000 kcal / day but eat as much REAL food (not pre-packaged) as you can - and keep away for sweet things for a week or two (how mean) - but it'll help wean you off cravings for sweet things. Keep away from unhealthy things you love to eat for a while. Go Cold Turkey! Only eat them again in moderation when you feel you're strong enough.

MFP program might tell you you'll lose hardly any weight at all on those calories with no exercise - but it's wrong. Only you wil discover what works best for you.

I'll suggest you don't worry about exercise at all - ever really. Just concentrate on eating well and getting better for now.

After you have more experience with losing fat (because you will - lots of it!) ... then maybe once a week you could drop the carbs to below 30% - but increase protein and/or fat for the day (healthy fats!) you burn fat when you eat a little MUFTA at every meal (MonoUnsaturated Fatty Acids). I'm suggesting this because Carbs get turned into sugar. And sugar gets turned into fat.

You can also choose which nutrients to track in your diary - so if you've not done that yet, you might want to keep an eye on your sugar calories?

ALSO: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/639955-macros-for-fat-loss

And this site was a real eye opener for me: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/

Best of luck to you!
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Hiya! Thanks for reaching out for help. Since you were just diagnosed, I'm assuming you are type 2? I am a type 1 Diabetic and I have been so for about 14 years or so :) I would suggest seeing an endocrinologist ( diabetic doctor) and a dietician and follow what they give you. But generally what they do is suggest no more then 60g of carbs for every meal, and for your snacks about 15g-30g of carbs. They have me set up for 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, but I need to eat that often due to being insulin dependent.

Since your also trying to lose weight... I assume your going to be excercising, at a minimum, walking perhaps? Remember to check you blood sugar before and after excercise, or activity in which you are active. In MOST people activity lowers your blood sugar. So-- if you find yourself getting too low of a blood sugar, increase your amount of protein before activity. Protein will help with your blood sugar dropping. To treat a low blood sugar- you should follow a 15/15 rule. Eat 15g of carbs or so and then recheck in 15 mins. With that include some form of protein also. Example could be a half a sandwhich with turkey breast. Just don't go with something high in sugar, like orange juice and thats it, because you could find yourself getting low again in a short amount of time.

Do you tend to eat alot of carbs? I know some great low carb stuff that I do that actually TASTES good...lol. Anywho. Good luck and hope that helps you out. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • johnannowens
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to be seeing a dietican in September. In the meantime I'm trying to figure my way through this with a Carb and Calorie Counter Book.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    bloodsugar101.com is the best place to start....

And then from there, get yourself a meter and begin testing & eliminating foods as needed to meet your BG goals.
    You will soon find out how many grams of carbs you can tolerate per meal, aim for below that number for snacks.

LCHF will help you immensely as well, but it's a matter of choice.

As a 44 yr old woman with a T2D diagnosis, I am after TIGHT control :huh:

Everyone's different, I found that for me, I can't handle more than 10 g of carbs per meal & even less than that for snacks. I aim for double digits for fasting & less than 120mg/dl 2 hours PP, and less than 140mg/dl 1 hr PP. I try to keep below 115mg/dl all the rest of the day, and less if I can get it.