Cant let it stop me!

Options
Ok I have starting working out along with changing my eating habits I brought a treadmill so I get on and walk like 26 mins is the longest so far. I have gotten as big as I am today because whenever I have tried in the past to work out I get sick seems like I sweat get over heated and I get a bad headache the kind that makes you want to vomit which in turn makes me not want to workout. as a child I was the type of kid who couldnt get over exerted couldnt be in the sun too long couldn't get too hot or I would be in the house sick as a dog ... Also I wasn't a obese child my thing is this I have to lose some weight I'm not going to give up this time I can't afford to for my health and a better quality of life what Ive been doing since I started lately is having the central air on freeze also a fan set up in the place where I sit to cool down right in my face because the headache is real lol and this has been helpful in stopping the sick feeling from getting out of control..Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thank you

Replies

• bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Be sure you hydrate before you start (headache sure sounds like dehydration to me).
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are staying well hydrated while working out. Sounds like you have a good plan set as well. Calories are important for weight loss. Eat all that you are supposed to, measure ALL food and make sure you are tracking accurately. You want to make sure you are eating enough so that you aren't weak. If you are using MFP's calorie goal, make sure to eat back your exercise calories. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mkemmc6009
    Options
    I don't know if it will work for overheating during exercise or not, but ... My daughter gets fever blisters very easily when she's playing soccer, working up a sweat. A nurse at the pediatrics office has suggested taking tylenol before the games start to keep the body temperature lower while she's on the pitch. It might work to keep you from overheating as well.

The other key component is to make sure you are adequately hydrated before you work out to avoid heat stroke. If you're already drinking your 8 glasses of water/day try adding a few more glasses of water.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Don't just worry about hydrating during exercise - if you're dehydrated already, it's too late. STAY hydrated all the time. This means all water, all the time. And the minimum 8 glasses may not be enough, try for more like 10-15 cups a day. If you're that sensitive to overheating (I'm the same way) drinking juice or tea or anything else just won't be enough.
  • wildheart_cowgirl
    Options
    Consulting your physician would be the best solution during this time. Make sure that you staying hydrated before, during and after your workouts. Try to drink water before starting your physical activity and also frequently throughout the workout as well as after. The American Council on Exercise (ACE) recommends; 8 ounces of water 20 minutes before exercise, 3-6 ounces every 10-15 minutes during exercise, and 8-10 ounces after exercise.

Does headaches/migraines run in your family? The reason I suggest seeking help from your doctor is because this could mean that there is actually an underlying problem that could be more serious. However, if not your doctor may recommend medications to take regularly to help prevent the headaches.

Also, I would suggest making sure that you are warming up prior to exercise and to avoid exercising when the weather is hot and humid and to start off with only 5 to 10 minutes. of walking to find a balance to where you do not become overheated and you do not end up with a headache.