The Real Reason We're Fat (or Some of Us, Anyway)

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I almost hate to admit this, but I don't get up to get water. I actually keep a couple of jugs at my desk to refill bottles. It's not that I have any problem getting up and refilling my bottle, it has to do with the crappy water filters here and the fact that if I don't keep water close to me, I won't drink anything more than my 8oz of tea in the morning for the rest of the day. I just don't think about it.

I do this too, but it's because no one else in the office ever changes the water dispenser. It's one of those Ozarka ones. So, it'll sit dry for days on end because everyone is too lazy to change it. So, I just started bringing my own water, and letting them all try to thirst each other out till one finally gets the hell up and gets a new jug.

Yeah, I keep a cup of ice water, and a cup of tea, at my desk too. I don't want to get up every 5 minutes to get a drink. But, I exercise after work now, where I didn't before. Definitely laziness and not paying attention led to my weight gain.
  • bohocherry
    Options
    If you really wanna see a big reason for us being fat read the book "sugar,salt,fat" the American diet makes it hard for us to maintain or lose weight already and once you get that big it hurts to walk long distances. essentially they're stuck once they get that big unless they can afford to pay someone to really help them lose weight, because now if they try it alone, there's a really good chance they'll just end up hurting themselves, and at a certain weight the bones begin to take a loner time to heal much like when you get older. On top of that being injured it's also makes it easy to gain weight because of the level of inactivity becomes even higher.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what to say to this. I guess the first thing comes to mind is that for ppl such as myself, morbidly obese, it is a struggle to walk. Everything hurts, knee's back, legs, everything! And yes, it is painful to walk 86 steps to get water at a fountain, BUT at least she is drinking water! Maybe she has not made decision to lose weight yet. Who knows? I guess I don't understand why you would come on this site and talk about it? Yes, some ppl are lazy, some ppl haven't hit rock bottom yet, I don't see the need the talk crap about them. Words of encouragement go a lot farther than ridicule and judgement.....just saying.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    :huh: :huh: OMG, that is just crazy...
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    We did get obese for some reason. I was lazy, honesty. If I were you, i'd move the water fountain/cooler to the other building. Now, THAT would be a trek! Hehe.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with that. It isn't that they don't get water, it's the REASON.

One of my coworkers has bottled water delivered and keeps it at her desk. But she also picks up weights and goes for four or five walks a day.

I don't care if they go or don't go or whatever they do. But complaining about how far it is? It isn't even that far!

How do you know she isn't exercising outside of work too? Does she really complain about how far it is all the time or was it a one time comment? I just find this whole thread really .... blergh.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Being big gave me an excuse to eat more. I would usually just say am bulking.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm fat because I used to eat too much and didn't exercise!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Judgmental thread is judgmental.
    h7DFA02A1
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with that. It isn't that they don't get water, it's the REASON.

One of my coworkers has bottled water delivered and keeps it at her desk. But she also picks up weights and goes for four or five walks a day.

I don't care if they go or don't go or whatever they do. But complaining about how far it is? It isn't even that far!

How do you know she isn't exercising outside of work too? Does she really complain about how far it is all the time or was it a one time comment? I just find this whole thread really .... blergh.
    She's said it twice in the last week (and she went on for 10 minutes the first time) and they've been here a month. She actually is letting ice melt in a cup on her desk in order to avoid walking 172 steps.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I am not sure what to say to this. I guess the first thing comes to mind is that for ppl such as myself, morbidly obese, it is a struggle to walk. Everything hurts, knee's back, legs, everything! And yes, it is painful to walk 86 steps to get water at a fountain, BUT at least she is drinking water! Maybe she has not made decision to lose weight yet. Who knows? I guess I don't understand why you would come on this site and talk about it? Yes, some ppl are lazy, some ppl haven't hit rock bottom yet, I don't see the need the talk crap about them. Words of encouragement go a lot farther than ridicule and judgement.....just saying.
    It was a general comment on society, inspired by a specific observed event.

In this very thread, someone is blaming sugar and fat and ignoring that people will not walk a few steps to a water fountain or will fight over parking spaces to avoid taking a few extra steps.

There is an ongoing thread blaming restaurant portions for obesity. I'm saying it isn't restaurant portions or sugar or anything like that. It's the trend of people trying to avoid all physical activity.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Yep. Laziness is probably one of the biggest reasons why many of us are overweight.

That is more than mildly ridiculous about your coworker complaining about it being too far to walk for water :huh: I don't even know what to say to that. And you say it's next to the bathroom - so does she complain about how far the bathroom is too? :laugh:

They all have pee bottles under their desks.

That was my thought, or Depends.
  • ScottGut
    ScottGut Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can they not get water in the cafeteria?
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Deleted because it's not worth posting on this.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I started here morbidly obese. Resolved to change it, turned everything around, now I'm doing it.

Some people go to the doctor and get on plans. They're turning it around too.

At the end of the day, we all did this to ourselves. There's a million and one reasons why, of course and we've all become pros at explaining why we look the way we do (I broke my leg and got fat, I hate myself, body issues, had a kid, I'm big boned, thyroid lol, whatever) but really it's all on us. We did it. And its on us to undo it.

And after dumping over 50 pounds of pure fat since June, I've come to understand that any reasoning that keeps you from the body you want is simply an excuse. There's no real reason for that other than "I don't want this". Period.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Deleted because it's not worth posting on this.

I saw what you posted. I didn't say who they are and I have not said anything TO them and I wouldn't. How am I not leaving them alone?

For the record, if they're happy with their weight and themselves, that is perfectly fine. I really don't care.

You missed my point entirely.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    At least they are drinking water.

Could have been a 2L bottle of pop on their desk...
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    What a lazy pig.... i thought i was bad... LOL
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    meh
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I drink too much water and actually will stop myself from getting water at work because I realized I was hogging it all. We had to start order an extra water cooler bottle every week because of me. :(

But...I know that laziness is definitely a factor in weight gain, yet there is also an emotional and mental aspect to it for many as well. Hopefully she finds the guidance she needs.

I also have a co worker who got lapband surgery, refused to exercise and change her eating habits. She was crying to me about how she gained back all she lost. I offered to go for walks with her during lunch, or even after work. She told me she has a treadmill at home.

People will make excuses no matter what. Just focus on you and wish them the best.