Eggs & Cholesterol?

Options
I keep going over my recommended cholesterol for the day after I eat two eggs in the morning -- I don't understand why this is bad? I thought eggs were generally good for you?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,924 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, eggs are fine.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol doens't increase serum cholesterol, for most people.

The cholesterol you eat decreases the cholesterol you produce naturally, keeping it in balance. There are people with medical issues such that this mechanism doesn't work the same, so those folks should watch their cholesterol intake.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

The cholesterol you eat decreases the cholesterol you produce naturally, keeping it in balance..

and your body produces a LOT more cholesterol than you consume even in diets high in animal products such as mine.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As said, eggs are great. I just had 6 eggs yesterday with vegetables and rice. Today I had 4 eggs and oatmeal for breakfast.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You should stop tracking dietary cholesterol. It's more important to track your calories, macro's, and fiber.

If you have everything else locked down tight then maybe consider tracking things like sodium and cholesterol too, knowing that they probably don't matter.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine! :)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I would treat cholesterol like I treat sugar - unless you have a pre-existing problem with cholesterol, you don't need to worry about it, especially if your cholesterol is coming from eggs, which have many nutritional benefits.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    you're fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to have very high LDL, which is one of the primary reasons I started here. I have completely normal levels of LDL now, and my HDL has gone through the roof (that's a good thing). I eat two eggs daily, yolk and all. In my experience and from reading pretty much any study conducted more recently, dietary cholesterol plays little role in blood serum cholesterol for the vast majority of people.

Your body produces far more cholesterol than you could ever eat. Eating a couple of eggs is like dropping a dollar bill into a vault with billions in it...pretty much irrelevant. In my personal experience, my cholesterol issues were as much about the things I wasn't doing and the things I wasn't consuming as it was the things I was doing (basically I wasn't getting enough fruits and veg and I sat on my *kitten* and did nothing most of the time).
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would treat cholesterol like I treat sugar - unless you have a pre-existing problem with cholesterol, you don't need to worry about it, especially if your cholesterol is coming from eggs, which have many nutritional benefits.

Yep. As someone who has one of those medical conditions I can attest. I watched my cholesterol for months using MFP and was consistently under RDA but my blood levels were still high. I upped my exercise significantly (went from running 10-15 miles to running 20-25, biking around 100, and swimming a couple hundred meters) and my LDL finally dropped to normal levels and my HDL increased enough that my doctor stopped hounding me about taking medicine.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, eggs are fine.

I concur!
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many informed people on here! That's kind of unusual and quite refreshing.
  • MistyEE
    MistyEE Posts: 67
    Options
    You should stop tracking dietary cholesterol. It's more important to track your calories, macro's, and fiber.

If you have everything else locked down tight then maybe consider tracking things like sodium and cholesterol too, knowing that they probably don't matter.

Appreciate this answer. I was wondering same as OP. Thanks everybody!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many informed people on here! That's kind of unusual and quite refreshing.
    Stick around, the derp will return. :drinker:
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    Yeah don't worry about the cholesterol from eggs because it doesn't raise your bad cholesterol levels.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I raise chickens.

I eat eggs every day.

My cholesterol levels are in normal range.
  • tmr57
    tmr57 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I thought this article was interesting. http://experiencelife.com/article/cholesterol-reconsidered/
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    3-4 eggs a day. Do it.

(that is, I eat 3-4 eggs a day. you can eat as many or few as you like. :P )
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has minimum impact on blood serum. Exercise and genetics play a far greater role.