Help! Foot problem with Plank

Options
Hi all,
I broke my foot last fall. It healed well, but this spring I developed tendonitis on the top of my foot. It was hard to figure out what was causing it, but I finally realized that any time I flex the upper part of my foot (like balancing on the balls of my feet while crouching) seems to aggravate it. I have been working on planks, but my foot has really started bothering me again and I think it is from the position of my feet during the plank (balancing on toes). Other then doing planks on my knees, does anyone have a suggestion as to how to either 1) do planks without involving my foot 2) strengthen my foot so that the tendons don't become aggravated so quickly.
Many thanks in advance!

Replies

• Discovering_Beth
    Options
    What if you would put a pillow under your feet and just keep your feet straight (so whole flat top of your foot would be on the pillow)?? Maybe this won't even work...Just being creative and trying to help :)
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't want to do other core exercises?
  • oceanblue6
    oceanblue6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am also doing other core exercises. But the plank has a reputation as such a great exercise. Do you think it is nothing that I can't replicate other ways? I am new to all of this, so appreciate the education! Thanks!
  • oceanblue6
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't want to do other core exercises?
    August 27, 2013 9:22 am
    I am also doing other core exercises. But the plank has a reputation as such a great exercise. Do you think it is nothing that I can't replicate other ways? I am new to all of this, so appreciate the education! Thanks!
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a physiotherapist could help you with both your foot issue and a different way to do planks.
  • oceanblue6
    Options
    What if you would put a pillow under your feet and just keep your feet straight (so whole flat top of your foot would be on the pillow)?? Maybe this won't even work...Just being creative and trying to help :)
    Hmmm... interesting. I'm a little worried about putting that much strain on the top of my foot-- though this position is definitely better than flex. Thanks for the idea!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've been doing planks for awhile- once the regular plank got to easy for me, I started placing plates on my back (started with 10 lbs, got up to 45lbs) and I started doing them on one foot with the plates to make it harder. You could consider doing it on one foot without the weights on your back- I just cross the leg I'm not using over top of the leg I am using
  • oceanblue6
    Options
    Perhaps a physiotherapist could help you with both your foot issue and a different way to do planks.
    Yes, I probably should see someone. I did go to a physical therapist, but the foot exercises made it worse, so it was a bit de-motivating! Hoping to glean some wisdom from the smart folks here!
  • oceanblue6
    Options
    I've been doing planks for awhile- once the regular plank got to easy for me, I started placing plates on my back (started with 10 lbs, got up to 45lbs) and I started doing them on one foot with the plates to make it harder. You could consider doing it on one foot without the weights on your back- I just cross the leg I'm not using over top of the leg I am using
    this is a great suggestion! i didn't know you could do them on one foot. and congratulations on all of your plank progress!
  • bcf7683
    Options
    this is a great suggestion! i didn't know you could do them on one foot. and congratulations on all of your plank progress!

Thanks! The one-foot version makes it a littler harder because there's more balance involved so you may have to reduce your time until you get used to it.
  • CoachCWC
    CoachCWC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Put your feet on top of a bosu ball or the coach and just have the weight on the backs of your feet. Or your shins if it still bothers you.

I have a fake implant in my left big toe so I have to modify a lot of workout moves.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Put your feet on top of a bosu ball or the coach and just have the weight on the backs of your feet. Or your shins if it still bothers you.

I have a fake implant in my left big toe so I have to modify a lot of workout moves.

Shins on a ball- I like that idea! I might try it this week to mix things up a little
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I broke my foot last fall. It healed well, but this spring I developed tendonitis on the top of my foot. It was hard to figure out what was causing it, but I finally realized that any time I flex the upper part of my foot (like balancing on the balls of my feet while crouching) seems to aggravate it. I have been working on planks, but my foot has really started bothering me again and I think it is from the position of my feet during the plank (balancing on toes). Other then doing planks on my knees, does anyone have a suggestion as to how to either 1) do planks without involving my foot 2) strengthen my foot so that the tendons don't become aggravated so quickly.
    Many thanks in advance!

Lay flat on your back with your arms at your side and lift your head and feet about 6 inches off floor... stare at your feet and hold for a minute... more if you can manage. Similar core strengthening exercise to the plank, you're just turning it over and taking pressure off your feet :smile:
  • oceanblue6
    Options
    Hi all,
    Many thanks in advance!

Lay flat on your back with your arms at your side and lift your head and feet about 6 inches off floor... stare at your feet and hold for a minute... more if you can manage. Similar core strengthening exercise to the plank, you're just turning it over and taking pressure off your feet :smile:
    thank you! i will add this one to my routine!
  • oceanblue6
    Options

i am going to try this, too! thanks so much!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Is this with shoes on or off? If with the shoes off have you tried planks with tennis shoes on? I find it much easier at the gym to do them when I have shoes on than at home when I do them every morning barefoot. One legged planks might work too. Have you spoke to a physical therapist to see if they can give you some exercises for your foot to help with the issue?
    Good luck!
  • Back2Biz
    Back2Biz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as you!!!! Broke my foot and now bending toes hurts and makes the top of my foot swell up! My Podiatrist gave me a strong NSAID and said to keep resting it and the pain/swelling would eventually go away - NOT!!! Anyway - I too do the plank on a BOSU ball, then i put my back on the BOSU and slowly lift my legs up and reach up to touch my toes... I also do side planks and Mason twists. If you want a great AB workout do the P90X Ab Ripper... it's 15 minutes and is KILLER - I can do almost all of them without hurting my foot. Good Luck to you... hope your foot is better real soon!