I need a good mid-afternoon snack

Options
I work from 9-6, have breakfast when I get to work, lunch is at noon, and then I don't get home until about 6:30-6:45 at night, then I have to make dinner so there are nights I don't eat until after 7:30. So at around 3ish I start getting sluggish and hungry. What's a good snack I can get that will help me get through the day and not take up uber calories? I'm thinking carrot sticks but I can't do that every day. Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like:

Granola bars/protein bars
    Apples and cheese
    Greek yogurt

Veggies and hummus would be great as well.
  • queenwildcat
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks that tends to satisfy my hunger are apples (less than 100 calories). I also LOVE almonds (I count out serving sizes). Raw broccoli/cauliflower are filling and low calorie--you can even have some Greek yogurt or other kind of dip. :)
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Protein powder just add water it helps you cut fat will keep you fuller till you get home,teaspoon of peanut butter 100% peanuts sorts craves out too or have both,great snack i find.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just had a serving of fat free cottage cheese and some grapes to tide me over.

Whatever you do don't choose an apple...I did that last week and almot knawed off my husbands arm when I walked through the door at 5pm cause I couldn't wait to eat.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Apple and Natural peanut butter, It will give you energy plus the protein will keep you full filling... I also like to eat string cheese, almonds, yogurt, but the one I found that keeps me feeling full is a apple dipped into pb ...
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein bar for my afternoon snack. Quest bars are great. Power Crunch are good too but Quest have more protein in them. Good luck!
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fruit/salsa/tomatoes/etc.
  • stepplax
    stepplax Posts: 26
    Options
    I try to save a protein shake for that time. Not the most filling but better than carbs for my current macro!
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My afternoons were always on the run (going between work and evening classes!) so I always had shelf-stable snack with me or in my car. My favorites were lara bars (good protein and fiber in each bar), crackers and peanut butter, fruit and peanut butter, or most common, nuts and dried fruit.

I hope you find something that works for you!
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Non fat, plain greek yogurt with a ton of blueberries or rasberries. Soooo filling and tastes like a dessert.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My go-to snacks are:

15 Almonds
    Apple
    String Cheese
    Yogurt
    A couple slices of deli meat

I always try to stick to 100 cals for snacks unless I have a 15 hour day and instead of eating dinner I'll snack a bunch, then I'm less strict about that and will have a snack or two around 200 calories.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Protein powder just add water it helps you cut fat will keep you fuller till you get home,teaspoon of peanut butter 100% peanuts sorts craves out too or have both,great snack i find.

Its like your inside my head, exactly what i do.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My go to choices for snacks though out the day. It depends on how many calories/protein/tummy wants but i usually grab 1-2 of these items

FRUITS
    Cantaloupe Melon 1 cup 53 calories
    Apple 1 small 53 Calories
    Banana 1 Med 72 calories
    Watermelon 1 Cup 46 Calories
    Strawberries 1 cup halves 49 calories
    Blueberries 1 cup 83 Calories
    Plum 1 small 30 Calories
    Grapes 1 cup 62 Calories
    Orange 1 orange 69 Calories

NUTS
    pistachios ½ CUP 170 Calories
    Almonds 16 170 calories -- or ready to go packs for 100 calories by planters

VEGGIES
    Cucumber 1 cup slice 16 Calories
    Carrots 1 cup 60 Calories
    Edamame Soyabean Pods 1 frozen bag 140 Calories
    Hummas (pres choice) 2 TBSP 70 Calories 2 1

Boiled Egg 1 78 Calories
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have said (my personal favorites are apples and almonds), I also love those Babybel minis that are only 30-60 calories.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I like caramel rice cake with peanut butter. or on work days (3 days per week) I often have a chocolate bar and coffee - my treat for the day (as long as I don't go over on my daily calories). I have lunch at 12.30pm & supper at 7.30pm so usually have a snack about 4pm.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I also have a protein bar around 3 PM. Keeps me full until I can eat dinner at about 7. Also, it fills me up so I eat a smaller dinner.
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the input! :) I'm going to look into a lot of these and try them out, see what works best. You all rock!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My go to afternoon snacks...
    Air popped popcorn (I pop it at home and make portion baggies)
    Quest bar
    Lara bar
    Deli ham dipped in mustard
    Hard boiled eggs
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Food

something you like to eat

make it fit your day
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member