Meatless Monday

Options

Replies

• Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    3FA33B83-15F6-4E06-BA1B-2C05A323495F-151-0000001650462AD9_zps164027b2.jpg

[img]]http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag25/mandywe1/06EC3FAE-1819-45DA-97BB-F8BE30043C0D-151-0000001637F506B6_zps695637da.jpg[/img]

06EC3FAE-1819-45DA-97BB-F8BE30043C0D-151-0000001637F506B6_zps695637da.jpg

Lunch is chick pea salad with humus, seitan and red pepper sandwich ( yummy)
    Dinner is a tofu stirfry.
    I kind of failed because I think I have too many calories ( about 25% calories from protein). Plus there is no room for wine:P

Btw. This is why I'm not vegan: it is so much easier to meet my daily needs with some Greek yogurt or cheese.
  • EliDC
    EliDC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love grilled portobello mushrooms. I marinate them in raspberry walnut salad dressing and grill, then serve on a bun with provolone cheese. So good!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    thanks Mandy! I had to Google seitan! Can you get this at any grocery store? i'll try anything once :)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    No, I need over 100g of protein/day and the easiest way for me to get that is with meat and fish. Since I have no religious of philosophical reason to avoid it, I don't. What is the purpose of a 'meatless Monday"?

That is a common misconception my dear :) You can get plenty of protein from pastas, veggies, legumes, fruits, etc. You don't need meat or even dairy.
    So, as a 6'6" man with approximately 220 lbs of LBM... I'm recommended 220+g of protein per day. More if I really want to add some lean muscle mass. I've not been able to find a way to get anywhere near that much protein from those sources without either killing my macros and calorie goals, or being uncomfortably full at all times. If you have info to the contrary I'd really like to read it.
  • Zaniejane
    Options
    You can't buy seitan at my local grocery store, but apparently it can be found in grocery stores. I make my own out of wheat gluten which can be found at grocery stores and at health food stores. I buy nutritional yeast at health food stores, this isn't necessary but it does add B 12 which is important and yummy:). There are lots of recipes online. I have a Favourite which is seasoned with ginger, garlic, brags, sage and thyme.

I need to do lots of home cooking to be vegan. On weekends I make seitan, curried lentil and quinoa soup and a chili or so etching similar to last the week.

I think this thread is about meatless Mondays which means vegetarian to me.....there are many casseroles that have cheese in them like cannelloni, moussaka, quiche, or Mac and cheese which are meatless.

I also should also mention all the convenient meatless products that can be bought
    Like hot dogs and burgers, etc.: some provide protein that is on par with chicken or beef.
  • Zaniejane
    Options
    No, I need over 100g of protein/day and the easiest way for me to get that is with meat and fish. Since I have no religious of philosophical reason to avoid it, I don't. What is the purpose of a 'meatless Monday"?

That is a common misconception my dear :) You can get plenty of protein from pastas, veggies, legumes, fruits, etc. You don't need meat or even dairy.
    So, as a 6'6" man with approximately 220 lbs of LBM... I'm recommended 220+g of protein per day. More if I really want to add some lean muscle mass. I've not been able to find a way to get anywhere near that much protein from those sources without either killing my macros and calorie goals, or being uncomfortably full at all times. If you have info to the contrary I'd really like to read it.

I tried to make a 240gm protein day. Calories are pretty high though.

Honestly, I personally have a hard time having 100 grams a day. (It would be easier if I didn't drink wine).
    But I've made a choice, and I'm pretty confident I'll be getting stronger and building muscles once I start training:)
  • Zaniejane
    Options
    Check out my diary. Plant based, it fit my macros, over 100 grams of protein, tasty, and I still fit in some wine!

Ok I did eat 1 ounce of goat's cheese. But that was only four grams of protein.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, I just took this on as a challenge for myself because I do usually fall under with protein.
  • joshdann
    Options
    I for one appreciate the lack of conversion attempt :)

so, for someone my size, who needs 220g+ of protein per day... do you think I could go 100% plant-based and stay healthy? What about if I also want to build some lean muscle?
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I for one choose death.
    Meat meat meat meat meat. Meat all day everyday. MEAT.
  • Zaniejane
    Options

so, for someone my size, who needs 220g+ of protein per day... do you think I could go 100% plant-based and stay healthy? What about if I also want to build some lean muscle?

Yes. I *think* you could stay healthy and build muscle on a plant based diet if you read up on it a bit and make sure you have what you need. ( B12 is very important ) But if you like whey protein, meat and other animal products, and it's working for you, why would you?
  • joshdann
    Options
    honestly, I probably wouldn't. But, I do like to cycle between different diet plans every so often, to shake things up both physiologically and psychologically. Of course anything I try would need to fit the same sensible macros, but I like to know how different foods will affect me. I just haven't found a way to make a plant-based diet work.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My bf is trying to go vegan and he is 6'2 and a larger frame. We use Vega products as one way to increase protein, I really find taking a shake of some kind is easy for breakfast and when you are working full time easy is important. We also get a good amount of our protein through nuts, I make a lot of different things using nuts instead of meat. Nuts are high in fat, but if you are not eating animal products then you can afford the fat in your day, at least it works well for us. I have made a lot of different types of dishes, veggie loaf with nuts and chickpeas, raw pad thai with zucchini "noodles" and an amazing beet salad with a walnut "cream cheese".

I really do believe in this lifestyle and I think that if everyone educated themselves on how their meat is made they might consider at least reducing the amount of meat that they eat. I don't believe that everyone has to be vegetarian/vegan, but I think that meat should be valued more, if you feel that meat is something that you want to eat, try to buy something that is not full of hormones and that has not caused major environmental damage to get to your plate.
  • Zaniejane
    Options
    honestly, I probably wouldn't. But, I do like to cycle between different diet plans every so often, to shake things up both physiologically and psychologically. Of course anything I try would need to fit the same sensible macros, but I like to know how different foods will affect me. I just haven't found a way to make a plant-based diet work.

Tofu scramble, bean and veggie chili, quinoa and lentil soup, seitan, advocado and lentil sandwiches. If you like to cook there are awesome recipes and ideas online. I stopped eating meat last December and I have continued to enjoy food as much as ever. I think meatless Monday is a terrific idea, if only to taste and experience different meals.
  • alexsheena
    Options
    I always forget to defrost chicken so i normally just add veggies to curry sauce and have some rice or i do a veggie stir fry. I used to be a veggie so I have a lot of vegetarian cook books, most of it is like vegetable pattie type things. Bit like falafel.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

You could obtain protein through non-meat sources of course but I'd rather eat some meat and get all I need than eat tons of carb heavy foods to get the same amount of protein.
  • laddibugg
    laddibugg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The purpose? for me it's money and creativity.

I love meat...LOVE it, but it's interesting to see what else you can make that doesn't include meat, and it can be cheaper, and as filling as a meal with meat if you do it right!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't do meatless Monday, but I often have meatless days because I love beans. Beans and cornbread, bean burritos, bean soup, beans and rice, edamame, hummus, etc. Occasionally tofu, but my husband one of those weird 'anti-tofu for no reason' people, so I eat that a lot less than I used to.

I don't plan "meatless days" I just have them when I'm in the mood for soemthing other than than meat.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. I had thought about it in the past but when I took into account my food intolerances and trigger foods for my digestive issues it would have been hard for me to fuel my body properly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh, sure you could. There are vegan protein powders available. Couple that with a legume heavy diet and you could easily hit 220 a day and build lean muscle. If you don't consider dairy or eggs as 'meat' then it gets even easier. You could even still use whey powder.
  • joshdann
    Options
    FWIW, I'm not trying to become vegan. I'm just considering experimenting with different caloric makeups. If for no other reason than to introduce more variety and ultimately discover more options that fit my overall plan. The idea of eating a ton of legumes does not really appeal to me (nor, I assume, to my wife with whom I share a bed).

For whatever it's worth: dove season opens this weekend, and deer season is right around the corner. The majority of my meat for the next several months will die by my own hand. A full year, if I'm lucky. It's cheaper and the stuff is wild... very tough to argue about living conditions for this meat. At least before I get to it ;)