How do you guys eat?

Options

Replies

• kev32uk
    kev32uk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    invest in digital scales, i weigh everything, i thought it was a bit excessive at first but it keeps everything 99% accurate and helps keep track of everything, best investment i've made so far :)
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    We have a small scale that I can use, no problem. So i'm not worried about that. People might just be like.... your weighing your chicken?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I only weigh pasta portions. Everything else I estimate. I don't even like counting the calories, I feel silly.

I do however like the menu planning I keep because of this site. And also I now count my wine glasses. Now that keeps me more honest. Eta: i also now use a measuring cup at home to properly get the correct 5 oz serving of wine. Apparently every glass I used to pour was more like a glass and a half. :-/
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh everything but I'm so used to the portion sizes of somethings now that I can just estimate.

I weigh things like pasta, rice fries and things I am unfamiliar with. :)
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Options
    I was surprised at what fitness pal estimated a large potato as. After I weighed one, that was the saddest large potato I've ever seen. Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I mostly estimate. And here's why... We all tout the whole "lifestyle change not diet" thing, right? Well I'm sure as hell not going to weigh and measure every morsel of food I put into my body for the rest of my life so I'd much rather learn how to eyeball proper portions. I totally agree that someone just starting out who knows nothing about proper portions should weigh pretty much everything just so they learn but it's not a long term thing. I do weigh things now and then if there's a new food or to make sure my eyeballing is still accurate but for the most part, I figure close enough. I mean, it's not like our daily calorie allotments are 100% accurate either so 50-100 calories either way isn't going to make a huge difference.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things, including the mustard, BBQ sauce, cream cheese, and Peanut Butter. Liquids I use measuring cups or spoons.

By weighing everything and seeing with my own eyes how much a true serving size is it has made it a lot easier for me when I eat out and cant weigh things because now I am pretty good at guestimating servings when I am away from home.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anything other than myself. I rarely measure anything unless following a recipe, but I'm more of a little bit of this, little bit of that type of cook. I've been cooking for a long time though, so I'm pretty good at eyeballing amounts.

Weighing and measuring everything I eat or cook would make me miserable.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just estimate fr the most part,when im cooking dinner sometimes ill measure.... I guess I could start measuring ...do u find it helps and makes you more aware?
    Give you a quick story on how i learned that estimate can bite you in the *kitten*. I use to make sweet potato fries and thought 1 potato is lets say 116 calories. Thats what the info came up when i googled it. Turns out that the size of the potato i was using was actually closer to 800 calories. I wasn't long weighing everything after that mix up.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    With a spork.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Like this 1326308797_puppy_has_head_balancing_problems_while_eating.gif
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I estimate. I own a food scale - the old timey balance kind - but I only use it for measuring ingredients for baking. I've never weighed my portions.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I used a food scale. You mention peanut butter specifically. My PB is 30g or 2 tbsps... but when weighed out, 2tbsps =/= 30g. Rather just be accurate.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I measure or weigh almost everything if it's not already in a pre-measured serving. The only things that I don't always do that with are green veggies like broccoli, spinach, lettuce or cauliflower.
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Please.

If you are really trying to do this.

BUY A SCALE. I faught it for a while, but i got out all the common stuff I eat, and i took out what i though ta serving was ( a conservative serving in my opinion) and it was usually 1.5 to 2 servings over what I thought it was. Cereal is horrible, dressings are horrible, meat can be really tricky, rice and pasta definitly tricky.

but buy the scale, I got two. I bought from Amazon, a pocket digital that i keep at work, and a larger one i keep on the counter at all times.

Even when im really tired and i say **** it, i still end up weighing it and im always glad i did.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    (1) Weigh,

(2) Prepare and/or cook, and

(3) Cut and chew.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Food scale all the way! Liquids/Condiments I usually measure though cause those are a PITA.
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good ol' Weight Watchers has some "hand" measurements - a 3-oz serving of meat or fish is about the size of your palm (depends on your hand size, of course) - a thumb is about an oz., etc. I'd say a food scale would be a good way to start accurate "eyeball" judgment of what you're eating. You could see how the measurements really compare to your hand size.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    in the beginning I eyeballed it...i lost some....but not a lot....and my loss slowed quickly...

then I measured everything....I lost more....but then it slowed...

THEN i started weighing all my protein and fats and measuring my other foods....and I'm losing again after a plateau (I stalled since last November, so yes it was a plateau...but I have to honest and admit I didn't really try that hard to break it...i just kinda sorta tried until I started weighing and measuring a month ago)

so yes...weigh everything and measure everything for optimal results...

ultimately YOU have to decide what loss results you want...but for OPTIMAL results, yes weighing and measuring is key.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I usually measure and sometimes look up the conversions online. I admit that I do eyeball quite a bit, but only because I cook all the time, so I'm usually pretty accurate with it. It works for me, but I hear that eyeballing amounts is not always a good thing.