General Guidelines for Eating Out

Options
HI everyone! I try not to eat out a lot, but usually end up doing it once or twice a week. What are some general guidelines you use when you're eating at a restaurant? If it's a chain, I usually look up the menu online or plan the things I want to eat on myfitnesspal to see where I'm going to end up. If it's a smaller restaurant, I tend to default to ordering salad with dressing on the side, avoiding fried things, or getting a sandwich or wrap with no cheese and condiments on the side. I'm interested in what everyone else does, especially for different types of restaurants--pizza places, asain, italian, burger joints, etc. I know I can plan it ahead of time and really have whatever I want, but I like working it into my normal routine too, so I'm not super hungry during the day knowing I'm eating out that night. Thanks!

Replies

• Templar_Cullen
    Options
    I always end up screwing myself up at resturants when I order salads, (( As they over pack them with some mystery stuff.)) Even if I DO NOT order dressing.

my general rule of thumb is to get a side salad. or just settle on soup/sandwhich combo.

Fried food makes me gag anyway, so I don't even bother with that. But I do check MFP/nutrition sites if the restaurant isn't sprung on me.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    what to do, last week(and this week) i put myself on a cut cycle. why? so i could take my wife out for our 16 anniversary and eat - Calamari, pita chips with artichoke/crab dip, salad, maple smoked porterhouse with rice and snow peas, and of course a brownie sundae. the sundae was for both of us but she took one bite and said it was too sweet. so i was forced to kill it. and i loved every minute. and i am down 5 pounds(half prob water).
    edit - in other words if it is not an every day thing don't worry. eat it up
    edit - again. i guess i didn't see where you eat out a couple times a week. i might eat out once every other week. so i tend to do it up now and then
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out, but I will not share tips with strangers.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out, but I will not share tips with strangers.

bahaha. I see what you did there.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I try to look up the nutrition beforehand, if it is available. If I know that the meal is going to be heavy on the calories, I try to split it with a friend or take home half of it.

Mostly, I try not to stress over it. I don't go out too often, so when I do I'm not going to spend my time being sad over a salad. Usually I try to order something reasonable, enjoy it, and work it off later.

If you live in an area where walking to dinner is easy, I highly recommend that! I live within a mile of several yummy places so when my boyfriend and I go out, we walk to dinner.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i predict that this thread will roll, and very few posts will be on topic.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Just a few things I go by:

If I want a burger, I don't eat the bun...
    If I get a chicken sandwich, I get it grilled instead of fried and again minus the bun...
    I order mustard as a condiment instead of ketchup or mayo...
    I substitue fries for either steamed veggies or nothing. If they bring them to me, I'll eat them.
    If I want steak, I get double steamed veggies instead of a potato...
    I rarely order a salad at a restaurant because of the "mystery stuff" and the lack of decent low fat/cal dressings...
    I stay away from anything "fried, sauteed, cheesy, etc"...
    I never order dessert...but I might sneak a bite of the BF's - typically enough for an after dinner treat.
    I always order water (no juice, soda, tea, etc), unless I've planned for an alcoholic beverage.

I realize that they will cook the meat, veggies, etc in things that I would use, so I usually add either oil or butter to my diary to account for it (even if I don't know what it was cooked in). I also know that if I weigh in the next day the added pounds are salt, not fat...
  • Imabemee
    Imabemee Posts: 36
    Options
    ec6f2d32df5811e29cee22000aa803c7_6.jpg

I hear baby wipes work well for this
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    OP sounds like you answered your own question. Plan ahead, if you can't then pick easily trackable items. Generally, I plan ahead. I make it known to everyone around me that I'm very serious about what I put in my body and I am not up for eating crap. That doesn't mean I'm not going to eat wings sometimes, or get a burger. I just plan my food around that meal.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    ec6f2d32df5811e29cee22000aa803c7_6.jpg

I hear baby wipes work well for this

Yeah, now that I have a beard this could be an issue.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Look for stuff that is grilled instead of fried, or baked. Ask them to not use extra butter. anything with a "cream" sauce is going to have more calories

- get veggies as a side instead of fries, mashed potatoes, etc

- limit the breadsticks/ bread & butter

- some restaurants have healthy options marked on the menu, if they dont, dont feel afraid to ask your server about it

- look up the nutrition info ahead of time

- if its a large portion which usually restaurants are, i get a box and package up half of it for later right at the beginning of the meal so I am not tempted to eat it all.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a decent framework, but I am curious what others do. The "mystery" stuff in salads actually never occurred to me, but yes, that's definitely a thing.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Basically I eat what I fancy within reason, my days are mostly what they should be, I usually have a good deficit and I work out. 1 meal, 1 day or even 2 a week won't kill me. Aim for a 300 cal breakfast, similar for lunch abd you have a good bit to play with

Watch the drink, have a glass of red wine rather than beer

pizza places, I do not think there is a lo-cal pizza that I would want to eat. Although Pizza express does some good lower options where you get a salad in the middle instead of pizza. Avoid sides, if you have garlic bread don't get it with cheese.

asian, italian, both these I would go for tomato based dishes rather than creamy ones. Rogan Josh, Bolegnese etc. Again watch the sides. Have a plain side salad if possible rather than chips or pasta. Plain rice not fried. Fish or chicken rather than lamb or beef.

burger joints, Just the burger, no bun or chips, get a plain salad or veg to accompany. Order chicken rather than beef as it is a bit lower fat and cals.

Any help?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Right.

Good luck trying to "exactly" do this calorie thing.

Unless you are eating only at home - there is no way to be accurate. I eat two meals a week at a restaurant, and I don't even bother to try to figure it out.

For that matter, I stopped logging food a long time ago.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I try to order fish or grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.

If it's a large portion, I only eat half.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    i predict that this thread will roll, and very few posts will be on topic.

Why, whatever do you mean?? :devil:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Have you considered the alphabet? I hear that's a good way to start.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    HI everyone! I try not to eat out a lot, but usually end up doing it once or twice a week. What are some general guidelines you use when you're eating at a restaurant? If it's a chain, I usually look up the menu online or plan the things I want to eat on myfitnesspal to see where I'm going to end up. If it's a smaller restaurant, I tend to default to ordering salad with dressing on the side, avoiding fried things, or getting a sandwich or wrap with no cheese and condiments on the side. I'm interested in what everyone else does, especially for different types of restaurants--pizza places, asain, italian, burger joints, etc. I know I can plan it ahead of time and really have whatever I want, but I like working it into my normal routine too, so I'm not super hungry during the day knowing I'm eating out that night. Thanks!

Many of the places I go do not have nutritional content listed anywhere, so what I do is I scan the menu, see what apps, entrees and desserts I think look good and then order them all. Type of cuisine doesn't matter I usually follow the same protocol
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Just makes sure things are clean!! I know this is a calorie counting website first and foremost but if you eat out in unsanitary conditions you could catch something nasty.

More to life than losing weight!