Any 5"7-5"8 ladies losing on 1500 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" - have had my best success on 1800+ cals per day.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    5'8'' 146pounds
    Last month I was at 1400 and didn't lose anything. I upped my calories to 2100 at maintenance for 1.5 weeks than dropped to 1800 and I have lost 2 pounds in about a week and a half. Since you were eating at 1200 I would recommend slowly building up to maintenance than cutting down 200 calories.
    I also workout everyday lifting weights and circuit training on the weekends.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Just looking for some advice here!

Another question - when you are eating your 1500 calories, do you have, lets say, 3 500 calories meals, or smaller meals with lots of snacks, etc?

It depends on a lot of other factors than just height. Don't get hung up on "Oh, you're the same height as me? Awesome, that must mean we'll have the same results!" ... cause it doesn't work that way.

Age, activity level, height, weight, etc... are just a few things to consider.

Also, it doesn't matter how often or when you eat your calories. If you're still hungry at the end of the day, then you should either save calories til the end of the day to have something to fix that. As far as the body is concerned, meal timing has no substantial impact.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    1600 give or take and losing between 1/2 to 1lb a week, depending. Typically I eat back exercise, not always. I upped my calories as I was finding 1500 to be too low, and way to depressing everytime I had the evil red numbers.
  • vampiree91
    vampiree91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    im 5' 8.5" and yes you can definately lose on 1500 a day, i did but i wanted it to be quicker so i lowered it. you should be fine with 1500! :)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Another question - when you are eating your 1500 calories, do you have, lets say, 3 500 calories meals, or smaller meals with lots of snacks, etc?

It depends on a lot of other factors than just height. Don't get hung up on "Oh, you're the same height as me? Awesome, that must mean we'll have the same results!" ... cause it doesn't work that way.

Age, activity level, height, weight, etc... are just a few things to consider.

Also, it doesn't matter how often or when you eat your calories. If you're still hungry at the end of the day, then you should either save calories til the end of the day to have something to fix that. As far as the body is concerned, meal timing has no substantial impact.

^This. I'm 5'7" and losing about 1 lb - 1.25 lb/week. I net 1750. When I started I was netting about 1900 and that number has gone down as I've lost weight. It really varies depending on your activity level, age, weight, etc.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and MFP tells me I should be eating 1280 according to my goals. I'm finding it impossible to stay that low, and I try to shoot for 1400 instead.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.7 and cannot lose at 1500 (unless we're talking over a year or something). At the moment I'm having a little trouble with 1200, but suspect I've hit a plateau.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just curious for those of you 5"7 to 5"8 ladies, have you lost weight doing 1500 calories per day? I know everyone is different. I am trying to up my calories to 1500 to see if it makes my energy go up a bit - 1200 just feels way too low for me. I like to workout 4-5 times a week doing cardio and strength.

And by 1500 calories I mean eating back your exercise calories as well.

The only reason I am questioning to up my calories is I have had great sucess eating 1200 calories, it just leaves me feeling pretty darn hungry at the end of the day.

5'8, 30yrs old, I lose when I net 1700 (so I eat 1700+ exercise calories) and I'm on the low end of healthy on the BMI scale.

Meal frequency doesn't matter. I flip back and forth between many meals or fewer meals (which means larger meals) depending on my schedule. With that being said, I definitely prefer larger meals. It's not for everyone, but I find it convenient.

I use to eat 1200 calories, I felt ok. The hungry stops after a while. I told myself I was eating lots of vegetables and chicken and healthy etc and then I started losing my hair out of nowhere. F that.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I thought I was 5'7" until about 2 weeks ago when I was measured and informed I am closer to 5'6" (cry). However, I have been on a 1500-1600 cal/day goal (I adjust as needed, getting ready to bump it up to 1700 soon) since February, and you can see my ticker. I don't always eat back all my exercise calories, but I eat back at least some of them.

Yes, some days I am under (closer to 1300 net), other days I have eaten at maintenance. But I have had a steady 1-2 pound/week loss since I started this.
  • jennifervalentinebcc
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and net 800 a day, grossing between 1700 and 2000 with exercise. Guess we are all different! I also think the calories burned from exercise function on here is off.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and net 800 a day, grossing between 1700 and 2000 with exercise. Guess we are all different! I also think the calories burned from exercise function on here is off.
    even with the calories burned estimates being off, you're certainly not netting enough.
  • LunaAmour
    LunaAmour Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5" and lost substantial weight in the past on about 1500-1600 calories a couple years ago.

I ended up gaining most of the weight back after getting off track. I'm in about my third consistent week with logging and am down to 1200 now because I set my goal at two pounds a week and would rather get the weight off sooner than later. I'm also doing intense cardio workouts daily. I am starting to wonder if my goal should be higher but it's really hard to say at this point.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5" and lost substantial weight in the past on about 1500-1600 calories a couple years ago.

I ended up gaining most of the weight back after getting off track. I'm in about my third consistent week with logging and am down to 1200 now because I set my goal at two pounds a week and would rather get the weight off sooner than later. I'm also doing intense cardio workouts daily. I am starting to wonder if my goal should be higher but it's really hard to say at this point.
    doing. it. wrong.

your goal should be higher.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" 137lbs. I lose while netting 1400-1500 a day. :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

doing. it. wrong.

your goal should be higher.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    For those wondering why this person thinks this:
    I lost weight doing 1200 cals, I lost a lot of LBM, and was left with a little chubby version of myself
    I lost weight doing lots of cardio, I lost a lot of LBM, and was left with a little chubby version of myself
    I lost weight on a smaller deficit and lifting weights, and I'm the same size I was 10lbs heavier except I'm firmer, stronger, and healthier now, with none of the joint pain I use to get (I've had arthritis since I was a kid, I've had back problems for years, they all seemed to have gone away with heavy lifting).
    Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    Left is cardio, right is weights.
  • jennifervalentinebcc
    Options
    Well I've been maintaining for almost 9 months on this intake. I'm not one to believe that I'll lose weight if I eat more. I'm about 118 lbs and run competitively, so my body is probably just "too" efficient and doesn't need as much as someone who weighs more.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Well I've been maintaining for almost 9 months on this intake. I'm not one to believe that I'll lose weight if I eat more. I'm about 118 lbs and run competitively, so my body is probably just "too" efficient and doesn't need as much as someone who weighs more.
    ...nope. I mean, that's fine, you can believe what you want, but it doesn't make it right.

If you're netting 800 calories, and have been for 9 months.. I can just hope that you don't ever plan to adjust that intake without expecting to gain.