Offensive picture question for the masses

Options
griff7809
griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
I wasn't sure where to post this thread so I figured this was the best place since it seems to get most of the traffic. Here is my question:

What constitutes an offensive picture in somebody's profile? I know what the site guidelines are (pasted below)

All images on the site, including all profile pictures and images posted in the forums, should be work-place friendly. While we reserve the right to remove any photo we feel is inappropriate, here are some partial guidelines as to what is not acceptable:
- no nudity
- no underwear, thongs, g-strings, or banana hammocks
- no pants or shorts worn mid-hip or below (no saggers)
- no photos in which hands or objects are the only bodily covering
- no excessive cleavage (if you would wear it to work, it’s probably OK)
- no close-up shots of cleavage, butt, breasts or crotch in any state of dress
- no hateful or violent imagery
- no images containing profanity or vulgarity

I've heard of a couple of females that have been forced to take pictures down because they were reported as offensive. One of them for sure was this person in a sports bra! You know the kind that a ton of females wear in the gym....in public! I think it’s a double standard. We have very fit males on here that have topless pics...and I will one day too when I feel comfortable sharing my gains. I personally don't have a problem with fitness pictures on a fitness site. SO what if the person has a cleavage! If it’s not a close-up of the cleavage then in theory the picture is within the guidelines.

So, to be clear, my intent is NOT to call out any admins or moderators. I am simply asking the masses what their thoughts are.

Thoughts?

Replies

• britcanuck14
    britcanuck14 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    100% agree!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    There is a social difference between a shirtless man and a women in a bra. That's just the way it is. Personally, I don't give a damn what peoples pictures are. If a women wants to put up a picture of herself in a push up bra, go for it, I don't care. But there are guidelines and people should stick to them. This is a forum about health and fitness, people seem to forget that.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be different if people didn't freak out every time they saw boobs in public.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There is a social difference between a shirtless man and a women in a bra. That's just the way it is. Personally, I don't give a damn what peoples pictures are. If a women wants to put up a picture of herself in a push up bra, go for it, I don't care. But there are guidelines and people should stick to them. This is a forum about health and fitness, people seem to forget that.

So in your opinion a picture of a fit female in a sports bra post workout doesn't meet the guidelines of a fitness site?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    what exactly are you asking? If our ideas of offensive are in line with the guidelines?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No, I think he's asking if my ideas are offensive.

And to that the answer is most certainly yes. I assure you they are.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Seriously?? A sports bra is not the same thing as a regular bra. I've yet to see some woman jogging down the side of the road in her Victoria's Secret bra....not that I wouldn't stop to look if she did.

And while this is a forum about health and fitness, you are in the "Chit-Chat, Fun and Games" section. You seem to forget that.
  • britcanuck14
    britcanuck14 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    People wear sports bras when they go to a gym (which is about health and fitness) ...big difference to push-up underwear!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    If the profile is made Private, pictures are hidden from the "masses".

So if you are going to intentionally break the guidelines, that would be the way to go. Then only "friends" could see them.

For that matter, you can make your profile so no one can see your pictures.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    - no excessive cleavage (if you would wear it to work, it’s probably OK)

What if you're a Hooters girl? Or a stripper!?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It annoys me that H2B sometimes has whinged about pics I put up of me in a BIKINI! The very same one he encourages me to wear on a beach that covers well! Its not a thong nor is it skimpy as far as bikinis go!!!

And sports bra pics... well he complains about them being really frumpy and covering up, bearing in mind mine are designed to be worn as an outer garment too!!!

Can't win!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand how a bra is not considered okay but a bathing suit is? They cover the exact same things, and sometimes even less. The only difference is the purpose and material. Also, often a bra/underwear or bathing suit are the best ways to tell differences in body comp. That's how I take my pictures because subtle differences are just as important as big ones.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine being "offended" by a photo unless it's racist or homophobic or something. I did see a profile photo on here once of a nude woman's lower torso, but it disappeared pretty soon after so I assume it was reported. I guess I might draw the line at close-ups of genitals covered by something that leaves nothing to the imagination...?

And if underwear, close-ups of certain body parts, deep cleavage shots and low-slung pants are against the rules, there are a lot of rule-breakers here. My own progress pics are in underwear so I can't complain.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I find clothing offensive.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Where I live, it is perfectly legal for women to walk down the street topless, so I tend to find the photo rules on this site a bit puritanical. Having said that, it is their site and their rules. I guess they get to decide what is and isn't appropriate, whether I agree with it or not. There seems to be some unfairness in terms of which posters have photos removed, but I suppose that is because some people have favourites they report all the time.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Seriously?? A sports bra is not the same thing as a regular bra. I've yet to see some woman jogging down the side of the road in her Victoria's Secret bra....not that I wouldn't stop to look if she did.

And while this is a forum about health and fitness, you are in the "Chit-Chat, Fun and Games" section. You seem to forget that.

I never said it was the same thing??
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I find clothing offensive.

End of conversation...lmao!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the MFP guidelines are good guidelines.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think the guidelines are a little far reaching. Also, I can't imagine who on earth would report someone for posting a pic of themselves in their sports bra. That is work out attire, not underwear. Some people need to get a grip.