Who gets up early to go to the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I run at 5:30 or 6 In the morning when it's really hot outside (like now) which means I get up about 4:45 so I can down my coffee and wake up a little before I go. I've ALWAYS been a morning person so it doesn't bother me. My husband gets up at 4:30 or so and works out in our basement. Once it becomes a habit you pretty much do it automatically. You just need to get over the hump.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for about 4 months and still about 80% of the time I say "I don't want to get up early" the night before. I always do, but I never want to. Some days are easier than others, but being able to leave work and know that I can do whatever I want is priceless because it's done.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do! 5:15 I wake up, hit the gym by 5:30. As a wise man once said:

"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man's muscles gain massive size" - Benjamin Franklift.
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm up for 4:30am commute to gym (near to work) to get there for 6am finish by 7:45am and get to the office. Have to get to bed before 9:30pm but no problem with getting up generally. I do many of the things others have said, also it's sticking to a routine that helps me
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I can tell you how I do it; but it probably won't help you.

MAKE IT A PRIORITY!!

If you KNOW you will not workout when you get home from work AND you really want to....then you will need to adjust your time table...maybe 15 minutes at a time until you get it adjusted where you are getting up at the time you want. I'm sorry but you WILL need to go to be earlier.

I made it a priority; I knew I had to work late (sometimes to 8pm) most nights and my drive was 35 minutes - 2 hours depending on traffic. So, I made it a priority, got up at 4:30 every morning to workout. I even had a neighbor boy ask to catch a ride with me to the gym and I told him if he was late, I would leave without him...the first day I left without him, he was never late after that.

In addition; you can 1) set your clothes out, including your socks & shoes or...I even would sleep in my workout clothes for the next morning, so all I had to do it throw on my shoes, brush my teeth, throw my hair in a band and go. Advanced preparation.....I'm already dressed, may as well go. :)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    My gym isn't open before work, but I've been known to get up at 1a.m. to go running. Not this year, I'm injured. :( It was the best way to beat the heat last year, though. I didn't have a gym membership!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do this in the warmer months, and have (by some miracle) done it in the colder ones when there was not other time I could squeeze it into my day.

What I do/have done is:
    + Get into the habit of waking up early. And going to bed early. Yes, you'll probably lie awake for a long, long while. But if you force yourself to get up at a certain time (even if you don't plan on working out), you will eventually start doing it naturally.
    + Having absolutely everything ready the night before. Sleep in your workout clothes and keep an Up&Go or something in your car if you have to.
    + Put the alarm on the other side of the room. Then you have no choice but to physically get up in order to turn it off.
    + Make it non-negotiable. Don't give yourself a choice in the matter - you'll save a lot of time dealing with the warring parts of your brain that are trying to talk you in and out of going.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I need to get up early for work (5:30) - so i've found i'm very good at excuses as to why i don't wake up earlier...2 kids (4 and 2) make it more challenging... I need to think of a way to get some exercise in...diet is key - but, exercise is a very important part....
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I get up at 4:55 every other morning to go to the gym to swim. Talk about torture in the winter. I set one alarm, and I argue with myself every morning. I tell myself that I can go later in the day, or I try to bargain with myself. But, every morning, I remind myself that I will feel better if I go, and every morning I'm glad I went.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have recently committed to getting up at 5am and getting to the gym by 5:20 the latest,
    I really hope that I can keep this up 5 days a week for the foreseeable future because it really works for me and my busy work life,
    I just wouldn't keep up going after work!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I get up early to do my cardio workouts (fasted state). Depending on my goals for that day, I can be up as early as 4am. I prefer to lift weights in the afternoon (usually taking a late lunch break around 2 - 2:30pm).

To do my early mornings, I go to bed around 8 - 8:30pm. That gives me 7 - 8 hours of sleep.

Sleep is as important as exercise and diet. Don't sacrifice one for the other, you lose too much of the benefit.
  • jstrickler
    jstrickler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am up at 3:15am monday thru friday for the last 4 years....to hit the gym by 4:00am.......I have found that if skip and don't go I feel way worse and tired........it's just habit after awhile and you don't even think about it, it really all boils down to where you put your head :)