How do i know if i

Options
(somehow i posted this post pre maturely and i couldn't finish my post title... do forgive me D:"

how do i know if i'm lightly active or sedentary?

lets say i do go eat make food for about an hour a day,
i shower and get ready for about 45 mins,
i tidy up some days and i work about 3 hours (walking around sweeping.. nothing raising my blood pressure much).
I walk to and from work which is like 8 mins total.
And i log all my exercise but i try to get in at least 20 minutes of walking mon-wed-friday and i do C25k for 30+ mins Tuesday, Thursday and sunday. (I also log these activities separately so i dont think they have to be included in my activity level because when i log them they tell me to eat more anyways right?)

I however spend a good 10 hours approx on my computer or not doing much (aside from sleeping of course)

How do i figure out if my everyday life is sedentary or lightly active, the calorie difference is pretty big.
help! and thank you!

Replies

• mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this, as well. When I first started on this site and read a lot of the threads, I saw that most people said MFP's "sedentary" setting is for people who literally do nothing all day every day. Based on what I've seen from other sites, and other calculators (f2f, Scooby's, etc.), that seems to be the case.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You could just put sedentary, log your walks and housework, and eat back calories burned. Though I recommend sticking to about 75% of what myfitnesspal says you burned because it tends to be very generous.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You could just put sedentary, log your walks and housework, and eat back calories burned. Though I recommend sticking to about 75% of what myfitnesspal says you burned because it tends to be very generous.
    Well i use an hrm thing to calculate calories burnt so it's more accurate i think. at least for that. but i had sedentary before though i was curious if it's right or not
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I wouldn't log housework, that's just normal everyday stuff. I do agree to use sedentary, and log exercise
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    (somehow i posted this post pre maturely and i couldn't finish my post title... do forgive me D:"

how do i know if i'm lightly active or sedentary?

"A sedentary lifestyle is a type of lifestyle with no or irregular physical activity. A person who lives a sedentary lifestyle may colloquially be known as a couch potato. It is commonly found in both the developed and developing world. Sedentary activities include sitting, reading, watching television, playing video games, and computer use for much of the day with little or no vigorous physical exercise." (While it's from Wikipedia it's the basic definition).

While I do activity every day my normal routine is sedentary (I work at a desk).