Weight Loss Can Result in Reversing Diabetes

Options

Replies

• ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to my mother. She was pre-diabetic for years, monitored her blood sugar, and finally last year had to start taking insulin and meds. She lost 30 pounds (Whole30 and Weight Watchers) and after she maintained and her doctor monitored her for a while, she stopped taking insulin and meds and in fact her diabetes doctor told her that she didn't need to come back unless she starts noticing issues. She still checks her blood 2x a day and always will. Whether she "has" diabetes is much less important to her than the fact that she no longer needs insulin. My father has had Type 1/Juvenile diabetes for 40 years, also lost weight this year, and now takes much less insulin than he was a year ago. He'll never go off insulin no matter how fit he is, but he feels much better.

ETA that my mom is only 4'10", so 30 pounds is a lot! :)
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A lot of the literature I read talks about "remission" from diabetes, but not "reversal" or "elimination".

I am no expert, just the mom of a teen with Type 1 Diabetes, which is an autoimmune disorder. Her beta cells attacked her pancreas, and it will never function like a non-diabetic pancreas does.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    very inspiring. I will keep you in mind when I speak to my future diabetic patients.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing people say this. But any time i ask a healthcare professional if diabetes is reversable, they look at me like i'm a moron and give me a very confident NO!

I have a lot of loved ones with diabetes. Unfortunately, even if this is true, i don't think it would motivate them to eat/exercise enough.

Just hoping this is for real and not another ridiculous troll, cause this one would be a little like a punch in the nuts

It depends on which type of diabetes it is. Type 2 is reversible. Type 1, not always.

Not reversible, manageable.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-2-diabetes/DS00585

Complications can be reversible as the damage may not be permanent, or able to be reversed to a degree. However, the condition is not. I wish it weren't so, but it is.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    What a great inspiring post!!! Congratulations, you should be proud! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • vickaged
    vickaged Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! I was once a Type II diabetic with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Through diet and exercise I can proudly say that I am no longer taking medications for any of these diseases! I encourage anyone with Type II diabetes to try and lead a healthier lifestyle--you'll be glad you did!! :bigsmile:
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your inspiring success!

What did you do to lose weight?

Do you feel that dietary choices/restrictions had any effect on your outcome, or merely maintaining a caloric deficit and losing weight?
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be negative, but I am dubious about the prospect of complete reversal of diabetes. Please do not stop your daily glucose monitoring. (I am not suggesting that you have.)

It is absolutely fantastic that you have lowered your A1C, no longer require insulin injections, and may or may not presently require Metformin.

However, once someone has stepped over the line of full insulin resistance, there is no return to complete normalcy in insulin/blood sugar regulation. At least, that is my understanding. I do hope, for many people's sake, that I am wrong, but that is my understanding.

I wish you continued success with your health and fitness.

I agree - you cannot "Stop" having diabetes, but you can certainly limit the negative side effects and reduce the amount of meds required. Continued blood sugar testing is very important, too!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be negative, but I am dubious about the prospect of complete reversal of diabetes. Please do not stop your daily glucose monitoring. (I am not suggesting that you have.)

It is absolutely fantastic that you have lowered your A1C, no longer require insulin injections, and may or may not presently require Metformin.

However, once someone has stepped over the line of full insulin resistance, there is no return to complete normalcy in insulin/blood sugar regulation. At least, that is my understanding. I do hope, for many people's sake, that I am wrong, but that is my understanding.

I wish you continued success with your health and fitness.

I agree - you cannot "Stop" having diabetes, but you can certainly limit the negative side effects and reduce the amount of meds required. Continued blood sugar testing is very important, too!

Absolutely, the progression of the disease can be halted & even reversed, but once you've crossed the threshold, there's no 'cure' per se, but ways to get healthy blood sugars.

Congrats on being able to discontinue meds and your weight loss, it's a tremendous success. :drinker:
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    since January I`ve lost almost 30 pounds at that point I was taking 2 metformin a day.As I started to see weight loss I was also seeing my sugar levels drop.I ended up on 1pill than 1/2 and last week my doctor said I don't need to take any and checking my numbers they are normal 4.8-5.2 but this doesn`t mean I`m not diabetic.Once a diabetic your always diabetic but it will help to avoid the complications that come with it.MFP has helped to lose the weight and make better choices.Keep up the good work and keep monitoring your sugar levels
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My hat is off to you, congratulations! DM can be nasty stuff if not properly taken care of and you just took care of DM!!! Terrific!
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am hoping to reduce my risk of developing Diabetes by getting to a healthy weight.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your inspiring success!

What did you do to lose weight?

Do you feel that dietary choices/restrictions had any effect on your outcome, or merely maintaining a caloric deficit and losing weight?

Yes, that's my question, too. Congratulations on getting off meds and getting your A1C to normal levels.

But, I would also like to know if you did it with just a calorie deficit with weight loss over time or if you went on one of those ultra restricted carbs, all fat and protein diets?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Job well done!
  • mandipoooooh
    Options
    Of course the doctors and medical professionals are going to say that you can NOT reverse diabetes. They don't want you to. Seriously. Look at the number of people that have diabetes just in the USA. Think of how much money is spent on supplies and prescriptions. Think of how much money the doctors, companies that make the medication, meters etc and the pharmacies themselves will lose if everyone got smart and active to reverse this disease. Any smart idiot (Yes, I know that is an oxy moron, but it fits in this case) with half a brain can figure out what would happen if the truth is spread about it.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great. I'm glad that you're doing better. :smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have taken insulin injections for Diabetes for over thirty years, along with oral medication. When I decided to us MyFitnessPal about seven months ago, I did not expect the results of lowering my body weight. Net result? After reaching my primary target weight of 205 lbs, my A1C3 has dropped to 5.4, and my doctor has instructed my to stop insulin injections AND oral Diabetes meds. I am now pre-diabetic! I have a new target weight of 195 lbs and hope to lower my high blood pressure and eliminate the need for those meds. I encourage you to "stay the course" with your weight loss diet and an exercise program; you can do it! So, JUST DO IT! My best wishes for your ultimate success!

Congrats!
    I've been hearing people say this. But any time i ask a healthcare professional if diabetes is reversable, they look at me like i'm a moron and give me a very confident NO!

I have a lot of loved ones with diabetes. Unfortunately, even if this is true, i don't think it would motivate them to eat/exercise enough.

Just hoping this is for real and not another ridiculous troll, cause this one would be a little like a punch in the nuts

It depends on which type of diabetes it is. Type 2 is reversible. Type 1, not always.

It also depends on how long one has had it for and many, many other factors. I was fortunate to not have it for very long when I was diagnosed. I've been diabetes and med free for over 2 years now! Yes, I know I can get it if I were to go back to my old ways.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!