Alcohol while on a diet

Options
Hey guys, Well I'm 21 and I've been looking at this site for about half a week now.
As most 21 year olds do, we like going out on the town and having quite a few drinks, But was wondering what would be the best choice in alcohol? I like the lot, Spirits, beer, Bourbon. But I think I might just stay to vodka or tequila .
Cheers for any imput.

Replies

• 623Hernandez
    Options
    a shot is about 70 calorie + diet soda
    I bought calorie free margarita mix for home
    I just don't drink as much I miss it!
    been having skinny bee margaritas at Applebee's 100 cals
  • emalethbane
    emalethbane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well the clear liquors are less calories, and sometimes no calories (vodka, rum) but its what it does to your calorie burn thats the issue. liquor ties up your liver with processing the toxins in alcohol so it has no time or resources left for fats and other functions. You'll be having a good time but harboring poorly digested fats. If you're going to drink, try to eat a really healthy, low fat meal an hour or two before starting and hopefully that will help. Have fun AND be safe! :wink:
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well the clear liquors are less calories, and sometimes no calories (vodka, rum) but its what it does to your calorie burn thats the issue. liquor ties up your liver with processing the toxins in alcohol so it has no time or resources left for fats and other functions. You'll be having a good time but harboring poorly digested fats. If you're going to drink, try to eat a really healthy, low fat meal an hour or two before starting and hopefully that will help. Have fun AND be safe! :wink:

All very true if i drink i make it my free day and then work harder throughout the rest of the week also try and eat healthy and avoid over drinking i usually try to limit myself to 3 drinks that with healthy choices usually keeps me under my calorie goals
  • MTDork87
    Options
    Sangria is a pretty solid choice. Less empty calories, gets you drunk and feeling full - it's my go to. That and white wine. I used to be a huge hard liquor fan but when I joined MFP as went the fast foods, so went the shots. It's cool if you plan for it though, like other people have said. Exercise and eat healthy on days your know will be followed by nights out.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Like everything else in a healthy life style, watch the portion size! You wouldn't binge on food, so don't binge on alcohol either.

There's nothing wrong with having a drink once in awhile that you have tracked and entered though. Try entering a few drinks that you think you might have ahead of time to see how they look before you take off. Track it, just like everything else. And watch out for those extra munchies they serve while you're out, you'll have to track those too. Getting a good meal in ahead of time is probably a good idea.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drink when it's my week off. I don't look much at calories because it is a splurge item, something not done on a regular basis. Rule of thumb - if it tastes sweet it will have higher calories. Dry wine has less than sweet. You can drink light beer, but I'd rather have a full bodied Belgian ale. Just go out and have fun. Don't worry about the calories. Just don't do it all of the time.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Vodka and water baby, and without all that pesky food to absorb the alcohol, you'll be a cheap date ;)
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Red wine is the only alcohol that is digested and absorbed just like food...everything else ties up your liver and blocks the absorbtion of protein...but if you're going to splurge anyway (like most of us do) a dry glass of champagne is 87 calories. They sell little rita mix packets (like a crystal light packet) and you can order a tequila and water or vodka and water and just add the packet...good luck
  • nicjane113
    Options
    I'm 22 and also like to have a good time. For me, I don't usually count my calories on a weekend but I make sure I eat healthily during the week. The way I see it, I'm young and life is for living rather than letting a diet take over my social life. That being said I don't have much to lose so don't really have to be too strict with myself.
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue!! I usually stick to vodka/sodas (90 cal, 0 sugar, 0 sodium!!) and if that is too bland, try a shot of cranberry or orange juice in it. If i'm at home, i usually drink gin/diet tonic. Red wine isn't that bad either. It has sugar, but it also has lots of potassium which is good for excreting out that extra sodium. white wine usally has too much sugar, along with sangria (added juices and sugar to the wine.... and i know i used to bartend!) and beer ALL together, whether if it light or not, is NOT good for a diet. I have to say, I love me some craft beers! But I'll usually only sticck to one or two.