Anyone have a low cal/sodium recipe for potato soup?

Options
KaceeGetsFit
KaceeGetsFit Posts: 11 Member
I absolutely LOVE potato soup. It's hearty and makes me feel full so I don't find myself snacking later on. Problem is a lot of them are full of calories, fat or sodium. Does anyone have a healthier version of a potato soup they've found?

Replies

• kathym27
    Options
    Cooking Light - baked potato soup is terrific. May not be as low cal as you were hoping for, but it's really good. You can lighten it further by cutting the flour to 1 or 2 TB, use skim milk, and half the bacon. The problem will be only eating one serving.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/baked-potato-soup-10000001654706/
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    This is just a quick, off the top of my head conversion of my 'real' potato soup recipe. I skinny down recipes all the time so this should be pretty close but try it and tweek it as needed:

1/4 c minced onion
    1/4 c minced carrot
    1/4 c minced celery
    Saute these in a non stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray until tender.

3 c diced potatoes
    Bring to a boil in a pot of water, lower heat and simmer until fork tender. I would add 1 t of salt to the water, but if you're going low sodium you can omit that. Drain, reserving 1 c of the liquid. Take 1 c of the cooked potatoes and mash, using some of the reserved cooking liquid to loosen (you probably won't need the whole cup, you can discard whatever you don't use).

2 c low sodium chicken broth
    2 c skim or 2% milk
    Heat to a low simmer. Add cooked, diced potatoes, sauteed vegetables and mashed potatoes, stir and heat until slightly thickened. Season to taste. I like a little basil in mine, but there's probably a Mrs. Dash out there that would be good in potato soup. If you want to give it a little richness, add a little low or non fat plain yogurt or sour cream - probably no more than 1/2 c to the whole batch.

I have no idea what the calories are but using low fat or no fat milk and chicken broth, it will be fairly low for 1 1/2 c of soup.
  • emmalzthompson
    Options
    Simple, switch your potatoes to sweet potatoes. :) supper yummy, perhaps with butternut squash, and some thyme, and chilli :)
  • Kolmi01
    Kolmi01 Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump
  • Satiable
    Options
    If you replace half (or more) of the potato in your favourite recipe with cauliflower, the calorie count will drop without any noticeable change in flavour.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ^This, except I prefer to use celery. I do 1/2 to 2/3 potato (depending on my needs at the time), the rest celery, a diced onion gets thrown in too, and 1/2 rasher of bacon if I want-which adds enough flavour for 4 serves of soup. And some stock. I just blitz it with my stick blender when it's done. The potato is creamy enough for me without adding any dairy.
  • elizabeth616
    elizabeth616 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know this recipe sounds very simple...but it is very good! Also, you can dress it up with a little shredded cheese, bacon crumbles, if you want!

1 16 oz. bag of Ore-Ida Potatoes O Brian ( I use this because it has peppers and onions, you can use plain too)
    1 bag of pepper gravy mix
    Chicken Broth

Brown the frozen potatoes in a pot with a little olive oil (or Pam)
    Make the gravy mix according to directions, but use chicken broth instead of water
    Add to the potatoes, and thin out with additional chicken broth as needed.
    It gets a little thicker because of the potatoes so you will want to thin it out to the soup consistency you like.
    Top with potato soup toppings if you want!

It will make 6 healthy sized servings

Stats:
    Calorie:198
    Fat:6
    Carb:33
    Protein:3
    Fiber:3
    Sodium:905