8 Months of making myself a priority!

Options
GiveMeCoffee
GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
Finally decided in January that I was important, my health was important and I could change. In 2012 I was hospitalized 4 times for a minimum of 6 days each time, for thing that a 41 year old should not be dealing with. My doctors were discussing 24/7 oxygen, home health aides, etc. It was a very depressing and scary time in my life. I couldn't finish a 6 minute pulmonary function walk test because my heart rate skyrocketed to over 185 in under 30 seconds, and my oxygen levels crashed. It was not looking likely that I would be around much longer at the rate I was going, and even if I did my life consisted of getting out of bed waddling to my computer chair, and not moving unless I had to use the bathroom, then back to bed.

Well my last hospital stay was over Christmas 2012, and I had the meanest ICU nurse ever, god I hated her then. She was my overnight nurse, and she said to me "If you weren't so big you would feel better". I was so hurt when she said it, it couldn't be my fault I was so sick. Well that night I didn't sleep at all because I was so mad, by morning I had calmed down enough and to admit she was right. That was the moment I decided I had enough, and I was important, and I could change the direction I was going.

Discharged on December 26th, that day I got home and started tracking my calories. Wow that was an eye opener, found out that first week that my wonderful coffee addiction, which yes I still have, but then I was drinking it with light cream (a quart or so a day) and 1 sweet n low of course cause that made it all better. But my coffee intake alone in a day was over 1000 calories, not counting if I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for my Xlarge extra light coffee and the afternoon iced latte. So, the first month I switched to 1% milk in the coffee wow I lost weight! Now, I still drink about 2 pots of coffee a day but I like it black cause I much prefer eating my calories then drinking them. From then on I just made 1 small change at a time, because it worked. I learned portion control never thought I would say that. I don't need a whole pizza, 2 slices is plenty. Who would have thought that!

Next came the exercise, this was more of a mental hurdle for me. I have doctor notes saying I'm not allowed to stand for more then 5 minutes, how am I going to exercise. Well a good friend of mine told me about a mini bike that I could sit in my computer chair and peddle. Another friend shared some great arm exercises I could do while sitting. I could just stand up for a minute each hour. For me that was exercise and after I was done I looked like I ran a marathon. But we all have to start somewhere. From that little mini bike, I finally wore the poor thing out and got a great stationary bike. Crank up the music and pedal away, the bike has become an addiction for me, I get on there and I can work out so many frustrations, problems, etc.

Well from that little mini bike to now 8 months total so far, now I've started running, biking outside, lifting weights. I devote a minimum of 1 hour a day to me, nothing else matters but what I need. If that's to get my workout in, to read a book, to do whatever I need to do for me and my happiness, because I'm worth it!

I still have another 50 or so pounds to lose, I'm not really sure what my goal weight is, because I don't focus on a set number what I want and strive for is becoming a stronger, healthier and happier person. Can I do more push ups this week then last month, can I shave some time off my biking. Those are my goals. My next year goal is to do a tough mudder with a good friend of mine and I will do it!

Sorry this has gotten so long, but it's been a fantastic 8 months with struggles of course, but overall it's been fun. Every day is a new adventure. Now for some pictures.

The purple shirt was the day after I got out of the hospital, the red sports bra was 2 days ago! 76 lbs lost and so much more gained. I have confidence, a purpose and I am important!

orv71w.jpg

So if anyone tells you you can't do it, yes you can! Just make yourself a priority! Hope this can inspire one person that might be struggling.

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    good for you! I always say we have to get a bit selfish about this :)

next photo let's have you smiling!
  • monica_reinert
    monica_reinert Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations! What an accomplishment.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this :smile: i too am guilty of not making time for myself and attending to everyone else's needs first. i'm changing - slowly!
  • annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look good and the best part of all is you're gaining your health back. That is my main goal as well, be healthier and I think it's the best reason of all.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    good for you! I always say we have to get a bit selfish about this :)

next photo let's have you smiling!

I had just got home from a run when I took that picture, I was feeling pretty badass so I had to snap a picture :) I do smile more now!
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It's hard to share these personal things. But it really helps others.

Well done on getting your health back. We all know how often people in your position give up and stay in bed till they die. You have turned your life around. Fantastic!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Great work and wicked progress.
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I didn't know the backstory - that makes your achievements even more inspiring! Keep rocking it, Jen!
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    :) congrats x love this, so happy for you x
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I didn't know the backstory - that makes your achievements even more inspiring! Keep rocking it, Jen!

Thanks! I don't talk to much of how bad I was because it's a place I never want to go back to. But felt it was important to share! I will say I have to give lots of credit to my MFP family as you all have pushed me when I didn't think I could go on, and cheered for me when I did it. Thank you to all my MFP friends love you all!
  • waferless
    Options
    You look great! Keep up the good work. Your story is truly inspiring!
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational. Having the mindset is what makes the difference in achieving your goals and that is surely something you have. Well done !!!
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    WOW! My jaw dropped. Absolutely impressive. Congratulations.
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    beautifull story! you are worth it! keep going! ;)
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Fantastic journey, and good on you for turning it around. You could still just be holding a grudge against the mean nurse instead of turning your whole life around.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Fantastic journey, and good on you for turning it around. You could still just be holding a grudge against the mean nurse instead of turning your whole life around.

Thank you, and I guess I should have added I sent that mean nurse flowers about a month later! Because of her being honest with me and not sugar coating it, my life is heading in the right direction!
  • swtjenny90
    swtjenny90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Youre doin fantastic!
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You're an amazing woman & soooo inspirational! Thanks for sharing your story & congrats on your journey to better health!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You are CRAZY awesome, lady! I knew there was SOME reason why I friended you! :laugh:
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This post made me smile! You've done an AWESOME job and are such an inspiration!! Great job to making YOURSELF priority :smile: !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!