Any other real ale drinkers?

Options
Hello people!

I just wondered how many of you have a proper love for real ale or craft beer (I wonder if this is going to appeal more to UK users!).

I'm a 28 year old academic, in the UK, and I love a good pint. A lot of the stuff I drink is local and doesn't appear on the MFP calorie count list, which implies to me that there's not that many people drinking the good stuff. Generic Real Ale, anyone?

Anyways, I'm committed to weight loss, but with a few lovely hand pulled pints thrown in (as long as they don't tip me into the red) and if anyone feels the same then please do add me!

Becks x

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I love a good ale. I only drink the good stuff.

bud-american-ale.jpg
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Me,me! I am a member of our local chapter of CAMRA (campaign for real ale), I agree about the lack of beer loging choices on MFP but usually can find something similar. I am aware that my pints of IPA are just under 400 calories, but I have been able to budget my calorie to still include this delicious nectar:)
  • red_koru
    red_koru Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just found this, hoping it will help me continue enjoy the good stuff without feeling like I shouldn't: http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

To happy, healthy drinking!
  • bantamspaul
    bantamspaul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love real ale and have done so for the last 30+ years. I tend to drink less in the Summer though so have not really worried too much about its effect on my waistline so far but with Autumn/Winter approaching that may be severely tested. My plan is to increase my exercise and burn off those additional calories and cut down elsewhere but it will be tough.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    UK real ale fan checking in to say Cheers!

Sadly draught beers don't come with a nutritional breakdown but it's easy to find a similar type of beer to use for logging. They are mostly made by a similar brewing method, finding another with a similar alcohol percentage is near enough I think.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like good beer. I don't much care whether it's an ale or a lager.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    my local sells Sussex Best from the fab Harvey's brewery & another localish pub occasionally gets my other fave, Wherry's from Woodfordes in Norfolk,

I have a glass of wine with dinner most evenings so bee has taken a back seat pretty much on this campaign; once a month or so I'll have a couple of pints, because I don't drink them that often I can really enjoy & savour the taste :-)

@glreim, 400 calories a pint? I'd have thought 180-200 from what I've read?
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Me I love it! I live in Derbyshire near Sheffield, so loads of awesome breweries around me (Thornebridge, Brampton, Spire, Peak.... the list goes on):drinker:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Me me me, Friend request sent, normal tipple is HSB, mainly because where I live most pubs were Gales tied ones, now Fuller's of course.

There is even a local micro brewer Havant brewery, and sometimes have a pint of theirs but it involves more of a trip

Luckily, love 'em or loathe 'em, there is a Weatherspoon's which has a some choices, and the recent cider festival upped my calorie intake somewhat

Like others I tend to add in nearest beer equivalent, I have searched brewery web sites but very few give calorie content
  • heathereames
    heathereames Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love real ale!!! So glad to find someone else on here who does :)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Long time CAMRA member here. I love a good pint of Old Perculier, as well as light summer ales. I live in London and was at the Great British Beer Festival a couple of weeks ago. Doing such a festival on a diet was tough, but with the judicious application of walking to and from the venue, I was able to stay on track (ish)!

I'm afraid I'm a "generic beer" adder - it's a little low on the calorie count scale tbh. I would normally factor in around 180-200 kcal per pint for a best bitter. I can see some of the thicker, sweeter special ales coming in a lot higher, though.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I do venture out it has to be real ale for me, always has been. If any pub or bar does not serve it I will never revert to keg or the fizzy pee that passes for lager in the UK, I drink wine.

Luckily most Manchester bars & pubs have at least one real ale and many have a plethora. We have had many great local micro and medium sized breweries spring up in these parts. A few of my favourites are Moorhouses, Skipton and Bobbins but there are many more.

If I have a day off I simply guess at 450 cals per pint and leave it at that
  • Slinn1985
    Slinn1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Coach House Brewing Co have a real ale called The Honey Pot.

I don't really need to say what it's flavoured with.

I drink once a month, and that's my chosen ale at my local.

(Tesco do a bottled ale called WaggleDance if you want to try a similar ale)
  • farway
    Options
    OK, now for real ale, and general pub lovers, fancy submitting UK pub reviews?

I hope MFP will leave the mention, have a search for "pubs galore" & join me and loads of other pub & ale lovers without axes to grind, boards are moderated, trolls and the like are rare and quickly removed

My reviews are mostly in Hampshire
  • farway
    Options
    I have absolutely no connection to Weatherspoon's except as a punter, but their real ale festival is 16th to 31st Oct, and will feature 10 US beers alongside 40 UK ones, including one local to me Oakland's in Gosport

If you search on weathepoons you will find a link to it
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I avoid gluten 99% of the time for health reasons, but once in a blue moon I will have a Guinness Stout. That is the ONLY "beer" I will drink.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My hubby home brews, so I am becoming quite the student of craft beers!! Light years better than that watery tasting stuff I used to drink.

However, I just expect that each 12oz bottle rocks about 200 calories. It seems close enough. I mean, I shouldn't be pounding down so much that it actually intereferes with my long term weight maintanence goals.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Me!!! My husband and I brew our own beer. We just brewed a chocolate peanut-butter brown ale, I can't wait until it's ready!
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My friend is in the Barnsley CAMRA branch, he asked lots of breweries for calories in their beer and worked out from their responses the calorific value by abv and made a graph. It's in one of the copies of their magazine on line, and I used it to add real ale at different abvs into my foods. http://www.barnsleycamra.org.uk/thebar/2012/autumn-2012.pdf page 15
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm an American drinker of real beers -mostly ales, but no IPA- cream ale, Scotch ale, porter, stout, Belgian, hefeweizen, black lager, oktoberfest... I don't want to start a controversy, but I think hops are a travesty.

I only have at most a couple pints a week, and I usually log them as the nearest analog I can find. (Same style of beer and approximate % alcohol). It's not perfect, but I don't really expect my local breweries' coffee porter to show up on here... and wouldn't necessarily trust the data if it did! :drinker: