If you are driving in CA and see car in flames dont save?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
Had a discussion at work today regarding offering aid to someone in an accident, and we started to talk about the Good Samaritan Law.

Apparently, in California if you offer non-medical aid to a person they can sue your buns off! Looks like there was some sort of bill offered to protect non-medical individuals offering aid after the court precedence (VanHorn vs. Torti), but what I read is still pretty vague.

So if I see a school bus in flames filled with children I'm not supposed to offer aid? Just call 911 and watch it burn?

Does anyone have any more understanding of the law?

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have no understanding of the law and do not plan to be in California anytime soon. However, if I see a school bus on fire I would stop to help regardless of the law. If they sue me for trying to save children I will happily give them all of my worldly possessions.
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have no understanding of the law and do not plan to be in California anytime soon. However, if I see a school bus on fire I would stop to help regardless of the law. If they sue me for trying to save children I will happily give them all of my worldly possessions.

I highly doubt that. You'd be just as put out and annoyed as the rest of us.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    That's interesting I didn't know that. In Germany, it is required all Germans are CPR certified and the law requires you to stop and help. Every accident there were at least 2 cars one to stop and help the driver/passenger and one to warn other drivers to slow down. At least that's what I saw.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    That's interesting I didn't know that. In Germany, it is required all Germans are CPR certified and the law requires you to stop and help. Every accident there were at least 2 cars one to stop and help the driver/passenger and one to warn other drivers to slow down. At least that's what I saw.

A country with logic
  • griffith5150
    Options
    California does have a Good Samaritan Law but somehow since Tori knew Van Horn... she wasn't covered in that law... not sure how that works.. and to be honest I am not sure of the results of it. However I live in California and if I saw someone in need I would go out and help if I can .

Below is an article that talks a bit about the case.

http://www.ethicsscoreboard.com/list/samaritan.html
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

Let me word it for you like this: If I had to choose between giving up stuff and watching children die, I would give up stuff every single time.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the situation.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options

A country with logic

Don't get me wrong...there were some laws there that were frustrating but I did like this one lol.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Wow! When I first read this I thought, "That can't be right," but it's completely true, and totally shocking! Thanks for posting this! I know the odds of me being in a Good Samaritan situation in CA are negligible, but it's good to know nonetheless!

Thanks again!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I would let my conscience dictate my actions.
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Let me word it for you like this: If I had to choose between giving up stuff and watching children die, I would give up stuff every single time.

i'm not questioning the fact that you'd help. I'm questioning you 'happily give them all of my worldly possessions' becasue you helped. If you truely stopped and did everything you could to save the kids and their parents came back and sued you, you'd be disheartened and sad. It's always sad when someone gets in trouble for helping.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Yeah, same here! (I don't have much "stuff" anyway.) It's sad that people not only think that their stuff is worth more than the lives of others, but also assume that everyone feels that way. It's sad.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think that's true in other places, too. I live near Chicago, IL so I can't help you with CA law; I just wanted to weigh in and say what garbage it is that people can be sued for trying to help others. So EVERYONE KNOWS, If I were pinned inside a burning car and someone came and got me out, but I lost the use of my legs...I would thank that person every day for as long as I lived for saving me, not sue them. (If they had to cut my legs off with a plastic knife to get me out, I'd still thank them because I'm terrified of dying in a fire.)

I'm all for peace and love, but if someone tried to sue me for pulling them out of a car on fire, I'd tell them that if they didn't want to be helped, they're welcome to get back in the car. I did what I'd want someone else to do for me.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think you can also be sued for future earnings as well.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options

That's wonderful! I wish we did that here in the U.S. - but instead, people get mad at having to pull over for emergency vehicles.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Before or during the situation, I would agree. But after the fact you would be pretty upset about being sued after saving someones life.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Wow...what a horrible culture.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Wow...what a horrible culture.

Yeah.

I'd still go help.

If I get sued, so be it.

Unless I do something extreme, ridiculous and unexpected, I'll assume that a jury will see this action as I intended.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if i saw a bus full of burning lawyers, i probably wouldn't render aid.

:tongue:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

That's wonderful! I wish we did that here in the U.S. - but instead, people get mad at having to pull over for emergency vehicles.

sweeping untrue generalization is sweeping and untrue.