Healthy Chinese takeaway options?

Options
LL1894
LL1894 Posts: 21 Member
having a takeaway with friends tonight and I really don't want to break the diet! what are the healthiest options from a Chinese takeaway? if there are any!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I love pot stickers (steamed) and beef and broccoli.
  • BlazeJay83
    BlazeJay83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Anything with steamed veg, prawns are also a solid option. If I have Chinese I'll split half a boiled rice and have a chicken or prawn option with veg in a sauce.

Obviously you are trying to avoid deep fried options.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Most of the options that are heavy on vegetables and/or meat that isn't breaded and fried aren't too bad. Not sure who you are ordering from, but Panda Express has some decent options. https://s3.amazonaws.com/PandaExpressWebsite/files/pdf/Nutrition.pdf
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Veggies... I load up on the veggies - beef and broccoli, veggies with almond, chicken chop suey, a little bit of rice isn't that bad either. :)

Now I'm really hungry. :)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Take your butt away from the Chinese joint and go to Subway.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies, and when it comes to your order, get stuff with lots of veggies in it so simple stir fries or chicken with broccoli.
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My recent favorite: Steamed broccoli, brown rice and chicken satay. I then mix it up for myself as a chicken and broccoli dish (I think it tastes better than traditional chicken and broccoli)
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm... I love the Chicken & Broccoli or the Beef & Broccoli. Those are definately your best bets! Enjoy!
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I always get the shrimp and broccoli and I ask for the sauce on the side. Chicken looks like it was just boiled and its plain but I can control how much brown sauce I pour over the top.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

bbblllleeeccckkk!!!! Subway, yuck! Chinese is soooooo much tastier!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I usually go over my calorie goal by about 2000-2500 calories every time I have Chinese lol
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

bbblllleeeccckkk!!!! Subway, yuck! Chinese is soooooo much tastier!

AGREED! salty nasty cuts with dry bread and toppings that have been sitting out, MEH! agreed, I portion out maybe 1/2 cup of rice, fill up on veggies, and choose protein options that aren't sweet and sour or sesame b/c of all the sugar, and its not too bad, I try to measure my soy sauce but I usually go way over on sodium and just chug extra water and don't weigh myself for two days hah!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I usually go over my calorie goal by about 2000-2500 calories every time I have Chinese lol

QFT...and that's if I'm actually watching what I do...more if I just don't care that day.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    how many overweight Chinese people have you seen in your life? lol
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I always get the shrimp and broccoli and I ask for the sauce on the side. Chicken looks like it was just boiled and its plain but I can control how much brown sauce I pour over the top.

What an interesting idea, I never thought to ask for sauce on the side at a chinese takeout place. Definitely going to try that.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the food.

Give no f*cks for going over.....because, YUM, Chinese food!!
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get chicken and broccoli with steamed rice and just eat half the portion. No more calories than your standard meal and have leftovers for the next day. With that, you can still manage to eat the entire portion with only a little over the calories for a normal meal, but I suggest staying under. Stay away from fried foods and heavy sauces if you can. You can use the food database to look up the calories in each serving before you go or google your favorite meals and check the nutritional content. Chicken or beef and broccoli is really good because you get your protein, but it's also about half broccoli, which gives you tons of good nutrients. Almost every Chinese restaurant has a special diet section, which is just steamed versions of a few entrees with white rice, and they put the sauce on the side so you can moderate it yourself. If you really want to be healthy, look there. Much less calories without the sauce. Also, you can order an extra side of steamed vegetables if you're worried about still being hungry and beef up what you're able to eat without adding a lot of calories. You might also check chow mai fun/pancit, which is rice noodles. I usually get it with shrimp or chicken, and it has veggies and egg. I believe the calorie count for rice noodles is a little higher though, so you might check. Moo goo gai pan is good too, chicken and mushrooms. A fairly heavy sauce, but I think it's steamed. Stay away from the fried options and things like general tso's and chow/lo mein. They pack a lot of calories. You can ask them to make any dish spicy for a little more flavor if you're not too keen on the steamed option. I usually splurge a little on the calories and get won ton soup, but I think it's hot and sour soup? that's a healthier option. Also, you can go for steamed dumplings versus fried, but ultimately, I'd stick to an entree and avoid extra appetizers. Most are fried or at the very least could tack on an extra 200 calories. Whatever you choose for rice/noodles, try to keep yourself to half portion and eat the rest later. If you're going to a restaurant that offers salads or a salad bar, you might want to load up on that to help fill you up too.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Personally I go for Shrimp with snow peas from the local Chinese place. Shrimp is a good source of protein low in fat, plenty of vegies not just snow peas but carrots, mushrooms (yes they are not veggies but fun guy but I digest) the sauce is not the healthiest but I have them make it spicy for a extra twist. I will get a wonton soup that makes me fairly full before I even get to the main course so I usually don't eat the rice that comes with it.

A twist you can throw in is get chop sticks (if you are not a expert with them) which slows my eating down because I have to pick things up 10 to 15 times to get it in my mouth.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    how many overweight Chinese people have you seen in your life? lol

Are the Sumo wrestlers Chinese or Japanese? :tongue: lol
  • tygerlili
    tygerlili Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Some Chinese takeouts have a diet section offering things like steamed veggies with chicken, or steamed broccoli with jumbo shrimp, and coming with sauce on the side and either white or brown rice. If yours does, just be careful to make sure they know you want the diet version because they often do a regular version as well.