Almost 50 lbs down, NSV, and a new outlook on things. *pics

Options
Just_Wil
Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
I'm a 35 year old guy who had a problem with overeating and general laziness. (Why eat one double quarter pounder when two tastes so much better? While laying down...) :wink:

In Janurary 2011, I decided to weigh myself and stood in shock as I weighed in at 270 lbs. I knew all along I was creeping up in weight as my stamina to do basic tasks was essentially zero. I decided to do something about it, starting Atkins Diet and doing Insanity/P90X, and ended up dropping 80 lbs by July 2011. I went on vacation that summer feeling great, but also went on vacation from the diet and exercise. For me Atkins was not sustainable and you can only take so much of Tony Horton.

Over the next two years I yo-yo'd a good bit trying different diets and exercise plans. I'd gain 20 back and lose 10, gain 20 more and lose it. Etc... Eventually I gave up and let it happen. By May 2013. I was back at 250 lbs and knew that I needed to change my entire paradigm if I wanted to lose weight and keep it off.

I decided I needed a goal to work towards, and signed up for a couple Spartan Races. (if you are going to go for it, go hard!!) My first was a Spartan Sprint (3-5 mile w/ obstacles at a ski resort), which was in July and the second was a Super Spartan (8+ miles w/obstacles at a different ski resort) which would be in August.

I started training by doing C25K. And boy did I struggle. But eventually I got stronger and was able to run longer and further. I then started incorporating a bit of Strong Lifts 5x5. My diet was still spotty, but a lot better than fast food 2-3 times a day. On the day of the Spartan Sprint, I weighed in at 230.5 lbs. My goal was to just finish the race. And I did!! In 2 hours 21 minutes!!

I continued the C25K training and a little bit of strength training and come August last week I completed the Super Spartan in 6 hours 18 minutes. Again, my goal was just to finish it and set up a base time to beat for next year. For this race I weighed in at 226 lbs, but I had lost a lot of inches and gotten stronger.

As for my diet nowadays, I've cleaned it up dramatically. I tend to stay away from processed foods, and try to eat natural foods. Though on a budget I can't stay away from it entirely, but I do make the best choices possible and try to hit my macros.

I have one more Spartan Sprint I signed up for this year in September (Got it for free, so why not). Then I will be focusing more on heavy lifting and training for next years races. My goal is to post a better time in each race and do as few burpees as possible. :wink: I may even try to do a Beast!

I'm still a work in progress, but I've finally found something to work towards and new outlook on my health. I need more friends to fill up my wall, so if you are interested in a new buddy, send an invite or let me know. Thanks!

Before: Somewhere just below 270 lbs
before.jpg

Just after Spartan Sprint, 230 lbs
spartan1.jpg

Current: Just after Super Spartan, 226 lbs
spartan2.jpg

Replies

• Slinn1985
    Slinn1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You look great buddy!

Always good when you lose a chin :D
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    WTG!! you look amazing!!!
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    WOW!! you look amazing! CONGRATS!! :flowerforyou:
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    It's amazing how much 50 lbs changes somebody in looks, on the inside, how you feel about yourself, how you look at life, etc..... Fantastic job. You look great!!!!!!! :happy:
  • kdmervin
    kdmervin Posts: 42
    Options
    You look good. Great job!
  • natty1408
    natty1408 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You look amazing : D
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Congrats on finishing the Spartan Runs!
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Awesome progress!
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Looking good! Congrats on the loss and the new outlook on life!
  • Just_Wil
    Options
    You look great buddy!

Always good when you lose a chin :D

Oh yes, was happy about that one!

Thank you everyone. I'm grinning ear to ear right now from the compliments.
  • dianahoo
    dianahoo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Really great job -- and you look about 20 years younger already! Congrats.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great!! Congratulations on your success! :drinker:
  • Just_Wil
    Options
    Really great job -- and you look about 20 years younger already! Congrats.

lol, that would make me 15... Oh what I wouldn't give to tell my 15 year old self what the future had in store for him if he didn't start working out and eating right now.
  • hinzee4
    hinzee4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!! Congrats!!
  • webg
    webg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the change, I know it's not easy!
  • bobbyj20
    bobbyj20 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dude, Great job!!! keep up the hard work!
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    Good job man. I'm definetely running one of he spartans next year. I'll send you my friend request so we can encourage each other
  • dorasworld
    dorasworld Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!

Keep pushing youre looking great!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Holy Crow! Impressive! And you look years younger, too! Keep up the great work!
  • CamWit
    CamWit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Amazing how much younger you look(and feel I bet)! Keep up the awesome work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!