Ever try walking with a weighted vest?

Options
I'm thinking about purchasing a weighted vest (12 lbs). I would use it primarily for walking the dog...looking for a way to build up my fitness level and burn more calories. Has anyone tried using one of these? Type? Cost? Purchased from?

Replies

• leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been contemplating the same thing, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices. I'm eager to see what suggestions are made.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I was thiking of that, but in my case it was not to add weight but to maintain my walking weight as I lost. Just think about it. in my case I would start off at 300 lbs and as I lost I would continue to add the weight to the vest to match my weight loss. After losing a 100 lbs (hopefully), I would be able to carry around 100lbs with no problems when I reach 200 lbs. *evil grin*
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was thiking of that, but in my case it was not to add weight but to maintain my walking weight as I lost. Just think about it. in my case I would start off at 300 lbs and as I lost I would continue to add the weight to the vest to match my weight loss. After losing a 100 lbs (hopefully), I would be able to carry around 100lbs with no problems when I reach 200 lbs. *evil grin*

Weighted vests are great to maximize your calorie burn on walks its hard to account for though without a heart rate monitor. Also i think the most i have seen a weighted vest go up to is 50lbs. Do know though if you are heavy and losing weight that wearing the weighted vest can continue to cause wear and tear on your joints the same as when you were that heavy. They are a great but i wouldnt buy more than a 50lb vest.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted vest for P90X pushup & pullup workouts. Have also used it for P90X Plyometrics (jump training) but wouldn't recommend that. Got mine at Walmart. I've seen them from 20 lbs up to in excess of 100 lbs. I'll eventually purchase a 100 lber for P90X workouts.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not a vest, but in preparation for a trip out west hiking the mountains, I wore a weighted back pack (30#) while hiking the trails near my house. I feel it really paid off as this year I felt the best I ever did while out there.
  • emersoam
    Options
    I think I'm going to buy one I saw at Walmart (Gold's Gym--12 lb vest). It looks more comfortable...(and little less like something out of The Terminator movies).

And after a little research, it looks like a person should start at 2-5% of their weight and allow time to get used to it.

I do use a heart rate monitor, so it will be interesting to see how my heart rate is effected. I generally can only get my heart rate up to around 50% on a fast-paced walk with an energetic beagle! I'd love to see something closer to 60%? We'll see...