Protein Coffee???

Options
JustineMarie21
JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
I've always wondered if It is possible to add protein powder to coffee? Does it work like powdered creamer? I would try this myself if I had protein powder left.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people doing it. I have used it to make an iced coffee.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I do use Click Espresso protein shakes. They're fantastic, and have the equivalent of 2 shots of espresso per scoop.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered if It is possible to add protein powder to coffee? Does it work like powdered creamer? I would try this myself if I had protein powder left.

I tried it and it got really clumpy. You'd probably still need to run it through a blender. I've start brewing an 'iced-coffee' concentrate and adding that to smoothies instead.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I mix few spoons of vanilla protein with cold milk, add coffee and heat in microvawe. Its my every morning fake lattee
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I read someone who had posted it and I tried it. I added chocolate whey protein powder to my coffee .. quick tip it's a bit hard to mix I found mixing it in a shaker bottle much better than trying to mix it in with a spoon ... but it did taste like mocha coffee and I enjoy it. I haven't tried any other flavors. I mixed in black coffee no creamer but a couple of splenda (not sure if that was even necessary or made a difference but it was already mixed in my coffee when I decided to try it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've done it and like it. Put the powder in the bottom of the cup before you add the coffee then stir until well distributed. It's kind of like making instant cocoa - if you don't drink it quickly or stir it once in a while, the powder will eventually separate and end up as sludge in the bottom of the cup. Definitely not like creamer, at least for me since I was using chocolate flavored powder. so that made it more like a coffee mocha. Vanilla flavor might be more like creamer though - worth a try!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it got really clumpy.

Same with mine.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I've made frappuccino kind of thing mixing cold coffee w/ protein & ice... but hot... might be worth an experiment if you are willing to toss it.
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    Thanks, Ill try it tomarrow :) I'll keep a spoon in the cup for temporary stirring.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people doing it. I have used it to make an iced coffee.

I have used chocolate flavored powder to do this, and then toss in some oatmeal to make it a Iced Breakfast Coffee.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I've used it in iced coffee in a blender. Chocolate protein, cold coffee, a little water, ice and sugar free french vanilla creamer. YUM!!
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it got really clumpy.

Same with mine.

I find a full scoop is too much.

what i do is - 1/2 scoop in the bottom of a 16 oz mug, pour just enough hot coffee to mix into a smooth paste. (i use a chop stick for this and i do mean mix the heck out of it) add half a cup of coffee, mix like crazy again. Add other add ins like creamer, splenda, ect... top off with coffee and mix again.

it takes some practice along with trial and error to get a smooth cup of coffee but once you get the hang of it - easy peasy.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i put cold coffee in my vanila shakes. I use premeir protein.

1/2 the shake
    cup of coffee
    sugar/calories free hazelnut torani syrup
    ice
    I blend mine but rgular iced coffe will be good to.

80 caloires 15 grams of protein, 3 carbs.

Idrink myshakes like this all th time. It stretches out my shakes and makes me think Im eating more:)
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to my coffee any time I'm having a carb-heavy breakfast (like cereal and milk). Instant "latte"! One thing I will note: don't pour *extremely* hot coffee onto protein powder, as it will curdle. (At least my brand will). That's yucky. I usually add a single ice cube to my coffee to prevent this. I find that stirring tends to result in one or two clumps, with the rest dissolving nicely. If I break up the clumps, they will dissolve too, but they are quite edible either way.

I use "Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate" from Walmart. They only carry the vanilla creme flavor. 130 calories, 30 g of whey protein with lots of bio-useful BCAAs. Not too shabby supplement for my breakfast.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Adding protein powder to liquid over 130 degrees will cause the powder to clump up.

I've tried the Click espresso protein powder and it's pretty decent.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I added cookies and creme protein powder to my coffee this morning, yummy creamer.

To keep it from lumping I pore the coffee in mixing bowl I use for pancakes and wisk in the powder then pore into coffee mug.:drinker:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have coffee with chocolate protein powder almost every day. Tastes just like a mocha! I prefer to drink it iced, if you wanna get fancy you can throw it in a blender. I have a 16oz mug and I fill it with big ice cubes, add about 2/3 to the top with coffee, and then one scoop of protein. Mixes fine with a spoon or straw.

Just make sure that if you are using egg protein to let the coffee cool down first or else it will solidify. o___o
  • JustineMarie21
    Options
    ''To keep it from lumping I pore the coffee in mixing bowl I use for pancakes and wisk in the powder then pore into coffee mug.''

Good idea
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I tried this, this morning and definitely need to work on my technique. I thought I had it dissolving nicely until I started drinking and my 'foam' was little clumps of protein powder.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I make 'bullet-proof' protein coffee sometimes. Eight to twelve ounces of hot coffee, a tablespoon of butter, a tablespoon of coconut oil and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Must be blitzed in a blender (single serve blender is perfect).

The one thing to remember - it's a hell of a lot of calories for a cup of coffee, and will pretty much become your breakfast in itself if you aren't bulking.