Chicken techniques!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    First brine them for 2hrs or so, depending on thickeness, then cook them any style to around 145 degree internal temp and serve.

Former chef here ...I highly recommend cooking to 155, and letting carry over do the last 5 degrees. 160 is the magical number for chicken.

I love brining...just be sure to watch your sodium. Some recipes call for TONS of salt!

I've been playing with 140-150 internal temps for chicken and find it much better than 160

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/slow-baked-chicken-with-onions/

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/sous-vide-basics-low-temperature-chicken.html
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the recipes and methods so far, guys! Now which do I try first?!
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    I love brining...just be sure to watch your sodium. Some recipes call for TONS of salt!

I have really low blood pressure so the doctor told me to eat even more salt! :smile:
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite "marinate and bake" recipes.
    For chicken breasts and thighs.

Lemon Rosemary Chicken
    Combine to taste:
    Olive oil
    Lemon juice
    Rosemary
    Marinate in a plastic bag from 1-24 hours turning bag 1/2 way through
    Bake at 350 degrees (25 minutes for boneless breasts or thighs/35 minutes with bone in)

Teriyaki Ginger Chicken
    Combine to taste:
    Olive oil
    Reduced sodium soy sauce (tastes the same to me!)
    Honey
    Minced ginger (You can buy this in a jar. My favorite is by "The Ginger People")
    Marinate in a plastic bag from 1-24 hours turning bag 1/2 way through
    Bake at 350 degrees (25 minutes for boneless breasts or thighs/35 minutes with bone in)
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing ever, boil it in your favorite salsa and a little water to cover it. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, shred it.

Or crock-pot it!
  • maliarosario
    maliarosario Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    one more
    http://www.the36thavenue.com/2013/06/spinach-salad-recipe.html

I add chicken so I can get my protein. The dressing is fantastic.
    I omit the Parmesan.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Thanks folks! And bump because I'm getting greedy for more chicken recipes.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    preheat oven to 400.
    season chicken as you wish, wrap in tinfoil and place on cookie sheet, bake for an hour, open and devour.
  • Creative_Sam
    Creative_Sam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I cook all of my food for the week on a Sunday afternoon.
    I always cook about 1.5 - 2kg of chicken breast (cut into smallish pieces) in a roasting bag with seasoning. I then package them into 120g bags and freeze. I heat up from frozen and it doesn't dry out. It's so easy and convenient.
  • map928
    map928 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use all kinds of sugar free jelly and jams on pan grilled chicken breast for add taste and some red pepper for spice. I use about 1-2 tablespoons melted and then add just dash of red pepper or any ohter kind of spice just what ever I am in the mood for.
  • map928
    map928 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :happy: bump
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite, and is amazingly simple.... I use either chicken tenders or cut the chicken breasts into strips. Line a pyrex pan (try to not make it over crowded). Spritz each piece with a little parkay butter spray. Sprinkle McCormicks salad supreme and a little parmesan cheese (to taste), cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes at 350. Great for sandwiches, pasta, salads... simple, fun and great flavor!
  • blue_eyes_
    blue_eyes_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • hsmama11
    hsmama11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with stuffed chicken! But because I love to cook and have a small budget, I have to use what I have as kitchen gadets. Before I stuff my chicken, I pound it thin with hammer and potato masher ! Weird I know but it gets the job done. I know mallets probably are not expensive but I always forget to buy one or at least look for one.
  • skinnyfat1982
    skinnyfat1982 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    onion
    bell pepper
    salt
    pepper
    light ranch dressing
    light italian dressing

wash chicken, season with salt and pepper place chicken in pan cover with onion and bell pepper

in a seperate bowl combine light ranch and light italian dressing

cover chicken with dressing mixture

cover dish with aluminum foil

bake until done

It sounds weird but it awesome!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    One very easy way to keep chicken moist and one I use fairly often is cooking it on top of vegetables. Here's a recipe of mine with pictures that shows a butterflied whole chicken but it can just as easily be done with parts. An extra added bonus is that leftover roasted veggies, bone, and skin make great stock.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/moist-roast-chicken-butterflied.html

Bone-in chicken is not only cheaper than boneless but to my mind tastes better.

But to keep boneless chicken moist, try wrapping it in parchment paper with some cut up veggies.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump