Ideas for Cooking apples

Options
RBrigzy
RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
Hello,

I have a lot of cooking apples coming ripe in the garden.

So far I have been chopping them in half, then microwaving them in the skins for about 5 minutes, then the apple is mush and easy to separate. I then just serve as is with a few grapes to balance out the slightly sour flavor.

But there are loads of them! - I have children too - so need ideas on how to get through them without putting everyone off them for life!

Thanks
Richard
:)

Replies

• jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I bake 'em

Per Apple:

1.5 tbs maple syrup
    1 tsp butter
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp cinnamon

Slice apples and put in an oven-safe bowl. I keep the skin on.
    Pour mixture over and bake at 350 for 20-30 min.

I like to serve mine with vanilla pudding. Yum! Had it for breakfast this morning actually.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My kids absolutely love cinnamon apples... peel and chop, put in a skillet with either cooking spray (low fat) or a TBS of real butter (our fav option, and you don't need more than that), cinnamon and a touch of sugar (to taste) and let simmer on low for a while... serve warm over grilled pork chops, or use as a stuffing pork chops, or add some oats to the top and throw in the oven for a bit. They eat them like that all the time!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Apple Pie

Apple turnovers

Carbonated Apples

Candy Apples

Pork tenderloin stuffed with apples, breadcrumbs and pancetta
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For a pretty dessert!:

Line cupcake tins with small circle of pie dough, thinly slice apples and layer them like a little rose (little apple "petals), put a pecan or walnut piece in center, sprinkle with cinnamon, maple syrup, orange or lemon juice, and maybe a lil brown sugar. Bake, serve over ice cream, :)
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like to chop them into chunks (not too small), add some extra firm tofu, cinnamon, maple syrup, and raisins and then cook it all on the stove for a little while until the apples are soft. It's delicious.
  • BooBoo1264
    BooBoo1264 Posts: 164
    Options
    There is a healthy slow cooker apple sauce recipe on Pinterest that looks mighty Yummy!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Our local grocery store has a great Organic Chicken Apple Sausage. I take it out of the casings and cook it in a little bit of butter with slices of apple & onion with cinnamon and either a little bit of maple syrup or honey.

I generally serve it with some Quinoa with cinnamon and a bit of syrup or honey too. Sometimes I add some dried cranberries or walnuts.
  • mariahk35
    Options
    I have a similar issue, I make apple butter, apples in oatmeal, apple muffins, apple crumbles, apple sauce, apple chips in the dehydrator.I hope to get a juicer sometime to make apple juice. Hope this helps.
  • aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like to chop them into chunks (not too small), add some extra firm tofu, cinnamon, maple syrup, and raisins and then cook it all on the stove for a little while until the apples are soft. It's delicious.

This sounds AWESOME!!!!
  • aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I peel them, cut them ready for fillings (pies, etc) then freeze them.... then I always have some for whatever is on the menu. :happy:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I peel them, cut them ready for fillings (pies, etc) then freeze them.... then I always have some for whatever is on the menu. :happy:

Why does this not surprise me... I need to go raid your freezer soon :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I make a cheesecake which involves turning them into pie filling and pouring a cheesecake filling on top.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Apple crumble :D or apple and blackberry crumble if you have blackberries. Apple and most berries will make a nice crumble
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    good problem to have, if I had that problem I'd make apple butter and can some apples for winter
  • l0sing_it
    Options
    Apple walnut salad

Homemade apple sauce

Homemade salsa with apple chunks

Bottomless apple pie

Baked apple chunks with brown rice and tomatoes

Fresh pressed apple cider, or juice

Apple stuffed pork loin or whole chicken

Apple stuffing
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Ooo .. do they un-thaw ok? or should I cook then freeze?
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Thanks so much for all these great ideas!

I am going to work my way through them one by one !

:):)
  • icklistpiklist
    icklistpiklist Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Apple chutney i use this recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicedapplechutney_7720
    And then give it away for Christmas presents!
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Okay, it only uses one, but it's not as obvious. Apple and celery soup. 1 cooking apple, 1 head of celery, and rest as normal (I fry off 1 onion/carrot/herbs/spices as I'm feeling it on the day), add in chopped up peeled apple and chopped celery + stock, simmer and blend.

I've heard of apple and parsnip, but not tried it yet. - I would follow a similar approach.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Okay, it only uses one, but it's not as obvious. Apple and celery soup. 1 cooking apple, 1 head of celery, and rest as normal (I fry off 1 onion/carrot/herbs/spices as I'm feeling it on the day), add in chopped up peeled apple and chopped celery + stock, simmer and blend.

I've heard of apple and parsnip, but not tried it yet. - I would follow a similar approach.

I can make soup - so this I have to try - I hadn't thought of using them in savory dishes.