weigh or "not" to weigh, that is the question?

Options
I don't weigh myself every day, actually I weight myself like once a week.. Should I be weighing myself daily? I just don't know. also should you weigh yourself before and after you eat a meal?

Help! :noway:

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Most everything I read says once a week is plenty. I weight myself daily and it drives me crazy!
  • JKather
    Options
    DON'T weigh yourself everyday. The scale is much too sensitive. You will find yourself going up and down depending on things like sodium intake for a day etc. Its best to weigh yourself once a week for the most accurate reflection of weightloss. Also, you usually weigh your heaviest at night and after meals. I weigh myself in the morning because it is always when you are your thinnest, which i suppose could be good or bad. When you weigh yourself is up to you, but I would only step on the scale once a week.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself every day, actually I weight myself like once a week.. Should I be weighing myself daily? I just don't know. also should you weigh yourself before and after you eat a meal?

Help! :noway:

In my opinion it is obsessive to weigh yourself everyday. Once per week is ideal, why change, you are doing fine.

Personally, I weigh and measure, once per week, naked and it is the first thing I do after going to the loo.
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    Well to post something different than everyone else. I weigh myself everyday. It allows me to see when i go over what and how it affects my body. Also when i am having a hard time losing i can see exactly which days where hardest. Weigh in when it does you good. If you only want to weigh in once a week, then do once a week but the most important part is to remember to weigh in at the same time, it doesn't have to be exactly the same time every week but for me i weigh in, in the mornings after i've gone to the bathroom to get the most accurate count for my weight loss.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    For me, I found that weighing once a week at the same time to be the most consistent measure of weight loss. I did it on Monday mornings at 5:30 soon after getting up and going to the bathroom, naked of course, don't want any extra ounces! In general, I would think consistency is the most important factor, so if you prefer to weigh at night with your pj's on, just do it on the same day at the same time of day with the same clothes to ensure a more accurate account of your weight loss.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I used to weigh in obsessively - like many times in one day. Since I started training the last time I was weighed was 3 weeks ago at a hospital appointment. My husband has hidden the scales! Honestly it was hard at first - I really struggled. I now measure myself instead and find it far more rewarding xxx
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself early in the morning (when you first emerge from the heaven which is Bed) but after you have been to the potty and always do in your birthday suit!!!

If you do that you will get the most accurate reading.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I weigh myself daily to view my progress but my official weigh in is on Sunday.

If my cal burn says I should lost a half a lb or lb and the scale doesn't show it, I know I need to drink more water or watch my sodium for the day
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I really think it's all about what works best for you. I used to weigh myself every day, sometimes twice a day and became so obsessed with it that I would get depressed. It got so bad I decided to chuck out my bathroom scales (along with all my appetite suppressants) and never weighed myself again for years, except when I went to the doctor. However, a friend of mine who has lost nearly 60 pounds in the last six months finds that weighing herself every day really helps as she is encouraged by even the smallest loss. Now that I am losing weight and feeling better about myself I weigh in once a week, I am being VERY disciplined not to become obsessive about it again. Same day once a week first thing in the morning on the same scale - scales can differ hugely, for example my new scale is 4kg heavier than my old scale and the scale at my gym falls in between the two. Just remember as well that hormone fluctuations can make a difference too. Good luck and keep going! :smile:
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So my ways are suggested by my doctor for me...what works for me may not work for everyone. But he said weigh daily, I do. In 11 weeks this is what I have noticed.

♣ I used to obsess about the scale, now it is just another step in my morning routine
    ♣ I had no idea the effect of eating out (salt) had on my body
    ♣ it has kept me on track, if it shows a heavier number I work out a little harder

I record my weight one time a week, on Tuesday, I record it after I ahve worked out and ate breakfast, just prior to showering. I figure this is more accurate compared to what my doctor will see the next time I am in the office, as I do not go to the doctor at 6 am in the buff....LOL

Ina nutshell...whatever works for you...just do it!!!!
  • starstealing
    Options
    i weight daily, since i feel that it keeps me en pointe. minor fluctuations don't bother me all that much. it's when i cease to step on the scale every morning that i allow myself to fudge a bit. i'm also motivated by both a gain and a loss, though. :]
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think the best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning. I would only weigh once a week on the same day every week.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    The reason it's nice to weigh in daily is that, like everyone says, you will see a lot of variation. But, that also means you may miss that day when you get a nice low number. I'd hate to miss out on an encouraging thing like that.

To use the "variation argument" against those that say weigh in weekly, let's say you do weigh in weekly. What if the day your weigh in one week happens to be a low day and then the next week happens to be a high day? Hey, these things happen. So now you think you've actually gained weight this week.

Go ahead and weigh daily and record it on in a spreadsheet or on paper someplace and then figure out what the 7 day running average is. That's a better reflection on what progress you're making.

I think almost everyone would agree that morning is the best time to weigh. You weigh the least and it seems to be consistent. Do it the same every day. Make sure your scales is on a very stable surface and don't move it around. Mine is on a cement basement floor. Some scales are also sensitive to how you stand on it (in the middle or toward the front or back of the scales).
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I do it daily, it has become a morning habit for me, like my cup of coffee :drinker:

I do only record once a week, that is Monday morning, I do this for two reasons, to be consistent, and to make sure I don't over do it on the weekends.

Works for me, but it may not work for you, I'll also add that down the road, I might very well change this, but for now, that is what I do :happy:
  • FlashBang
    Options
    This is not about the scale. We all freak about the scale. The number we all have to freak about is the calorie deficit. Weigh never or all day long, does not matter, as long as you do not freak about that number. Many variables go into making that number on the scale. The one that will make you burn fat is the deficit. Focus on that and you will lose weight. It must be small enough to fuel your body and large enough to burn an appropriate amount of fat. MFP factors that in so if you keep your calorie goal you will be fine and you will get it going your way.
  • clearwaterfin
    clearwaterfin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my point! that is why I have not. thanks for the reply :smile:
  • mlipsey
    Options
    Weigh yourself early in the morning (when you first emerge from the heaven which is Bed) but after you have been to the potty and always do in your birthday suit!!!

If you do that you will get the most accurate reading.

I agree I do this every friday :happy:
  • shannie_134
    Options
    I am a once a week girl,when I started dieting back in February had been weighed at doctors after a check up so was dressed with shoes.This was when I decided I wanted to loose some weight,so as I could not find my scales at home I started weighing myself at Boots( a pharmacy chain in UK).
    I weigh on a Monday morning on my way to work and then do by body measurments when I get home.
    Shannie
  • authentic1
    authentic1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Once a week is sane. Every day weighing is nagging and inconsequential.
    What I love is that at the end of my food day I hit the 'complete this entry' button, and it tells me "if every day were like today, in 5 weeks you'd weight .....". That's incentive without nagging, and I don't have to worry if I happen to eat something with a little salt in it the day before.
  • clearwaterfin
    clearwaterfin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    THANKS TO ALL MY MFP FRIENDS FOR YOUR HELP!:happy: