What's the best heart rate monitor 2 buy?

Options
Hey, I've been searching 4 heart rate watches & am hoping 2 find 1 that's easy 2 use & accurate... Can any1 help by recommending 1? Thx!!! =)

Replies

• xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Nothing? =( I'm asking because I bought a Mio watch & it's either not working correctly or I don't know how 2 use it... Guess I'll just have 2 buy 1 & take a chance...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If this is your first time using one, I would suggest a Polar or Garmin, as those are widely used and are known to work well.

Not really sure what you're asking for beyond that...?
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Have a smart phone with bluetooth? ie semi recent Iphone or android device?

Get a polar. Make sure the model is compatible with your phone. Sync it up with your phone using one of the app partners that MFP supports. These apps track your distance by gps, route, elevation ascent, average calories burned, and pace. It keeps everything in your records and you see see your progression perfectly clear.

I use Icardio, but there are many others. Using an app that is a MFP partner means everything syncs together. Icardio logs my calories and sends it to MFP. It takes all the work out of it.

Using a wrist device means you need to log everything, or manually upload it to your computer. I don't see the point when there are ways to make this process much more stream lined. I'd rather mess with the inputs on my nice large 5" touchscreen than mess with stupid buttons on a watch.
  • xapril77x
    Options
    If this is your first time using one, I would suggest a Polar or Garmin, as those are widely used and are known to work well.

Not really sure what you're asking for beyond that...?

I was asking because I've been shopping online for 1 & it seems like they all have pretty bad reviews... On some of them ppl will say they aren't accurate or are hard 2 use so I thought maybe I could get some advice from the ppl here that own them as to which 1's r best... Also because the Mio I bought is a piece of junk so I don't wanna waste anymore $ on junk... Thx for the advice!!! It's much appreciated!
  • xapril77x
    Options
    Have a smart phone with bluetooth? ie semi recent Iphone or android device?

Get a polar. Make sure the model is compatible with your phone. Sync it up with your phone using one of the app partners that MFP supports. These apps track your distance by gps, route, elevation ascent, average calories burned, and pace. It keeps everything in your records and you see see your progression perfectly clear.

I use Icardio, but there are many others. Using an app that is a MFP partner means everything syncs together. Icardio logs my calories and sends it to MFP. It takes all the work out of it.

Using a wrist device means you need to log everything, or manually upload it to your computer. I don't see the point when there are ways to make this process much more stream lined. I'd rather mess with the inputs on my nice large 5" touchscreen than mess with stupid buttons on a watch.

Yes, I do... I will definitely check in2 those!!! It sounds so much easier! Thx u!!!
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, very easy to use and fairly accurate.
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do NOT buy a Pyle Sports PHRM38PN. It's cheap, which is why I got it, but I've getting drastically different readings from one workout to another of the exact same workout and intensity. Apparently, in this case at least, if it is more expensive it's a better buy with HRMs.
  • ToStev
    ToStev Posts: 2
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT-7 today. I had debated over the blue tooth for the phone but with some Crossfit exercises it gets in the way hanging on my hip. This way I can track my running or my Crossfit or the weights at the gym with out having to hang on to my phone. But if that is not a big deal then get the blue tooth version and sync with the phone...it will give you more detailed/time lined information then just the watch.
  • xapril77x
    Options
    Checking into the Polar FT7 & FT4!!! Thx for the advice!!! =)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I also have an FT4. They show up on Amazon pretty regularly with great prices.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ttmspeace
    ttmspeace Posts: 240
    Options
    Bump
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get a dedicated HRM I would get either a Garmin or a Polar. Those are the standard bearers. Yes, there are others that people like also...

Most of the negative reviews of HRMs have to do with the calorie burn computations and questions thereof.

Realize that if/when you get one you will probably end up having to reconcile three different calorie burn numbers:
    1. The HRM number
    2. The cardio equipment number
    3. The MFP/otherwebsite number

Unfortunately they may not be all that close to each other which is confusing and perhaps a little annoying until you just get used to the fact that that's just the way it is... :-)
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the F7 (not FT7) and like it. I have used it a year or so on and off.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto M1 and I'm satisfied with it. Polar is the best known brand I think.
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into purchasing too...glad you posted this. So far Polar is highly recommended on the sites I've been checking.