Two week update.

Options
Since I became a member on August 11, I have bulked up 7 and a 1/2 pounds. I gained 4 pounds the first week and 3 and a 1/2 pounds in the past week. I have a lot more muscle tone which makes me happy. This is going way better than expected. I was expecting to be up 2-3 pounds in the first two weeks, but I'll take 7 and a 1/2 pounds. I feel great so far and I'm looking a lot healthier. I honestly don't mess eating junk food and I love the diet I'm on.

Starting weight on 8/11: 137
Weight as of 8/26: 144.5

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Just going to warn you for a male it's lucky to gain more than half a pound of muscle a week, for a female even less due to the lesser amounts of testosterone, you are most likely retaining a lot more water than usual which is normal for something starting bulking. I also don't understand what you mean by "muscle tone" you either grow a muscle by working it while in a caloric surplus or you shrink it by not working it at all. There is no "toning" the shape of it is genetics. If you started to cut right now you'd most likely drop 9-10 pounds within the first week from water retention. But keep going at it, once it stops you will be at around 0.5-1lb of weight gain a week which is what you want to be at. :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    No disrespect.. But surely it can't be clean weight gained..
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If one was in the single bodyfat percentages when they started, a little fat is not a bad thing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "clean weight"--you always gain some fat along with muscle weight.

7 lb in two weeks is a lot, for sure. It could certainly be due to some inaccurate or inconsistent measurements, and if there was strength training along with lots of eating, there would be water retention that could easily account for much of that gain.

This said, young men can gain muscle mass quite rapidly when they are on the right diet and training regimen. Rippetoe says in Starting Strength that "it is possible, and quite likely, that skinny kids on this program will gain 10-15 pounds of body weight in the first two weeks of a good barbell training program, provided they eat well."
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "clean weight"--you always gain some fat along with muscle weight.

7 lb in two weeks is a lot, for sure. It could certainly be due to some inaccurate or inconsistent measurements, and if there was strength training along with lots of eating, there would be water retention that could easily account for much of that gain.

This said, young men can gain muscle mass quite rapidly when they are on the right diet and training regimen. Rippetoe says in Starting Strength that "it is possible, and quite likely, that skinny kids on this program will gain 10-15 pounds of body weight in the first two weeks of a good barbell training program, provided they eat well."
    I could gain 10-15 pounds in an hour at cicis pizza,that doesn't mean it's beneficial or muscle.
    Even for straight beginners with a good nutrition plan + strength training (progressive overload) 15 pounds in a year of pure muscle would be really good gains.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I could gain 10-15 pounds in an hour at cicis pizza,that doesn't mean it's beneficial or muscle.
    Even for straight beginners with a good nutrition plan + strength training (progressive overload) 15 pounds in a year of pure muscle would be really good gains.

I am not a man myself so I cannot weigh in with first-hand knowledge. Just going on what an experienced coach with a reputation in the field has said in writing.

I will reiterate that it is highly unlikely for anyone to gain what you call "pure muscle".
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Since I became a member on August 11, I have bulked up 7 and a 1/2 pounds. I gained 4 pounds the first week and 3 and a 1/2 pounds in the past week. I have a lot more muscle tone which makes me happy. This is going way better than expected. I was expecting to be up 2-3 pounds in the first two weeks, but I'll take 7 and a 1/2 pounds. I feel great so far and I'm looking a lot healthier. I honestly don't mess eating junk food and I love the diet I'm on.

It's likely some is just water retention as well
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Yeah. In other words, OP or anyone else...don't be upset if/when your weight fluctuates up and down. You didn't lose your gains if that happens...it's just water, glycogen, and sometimes fat being gained and lost. My weight yesterday was 2 lbs lower than today, measured at the same time of day under the exact same conditions. That doesn't mean I gained 2 lbs of real weight over night. I know this b/c I've been tracking consistently for weeks, and have seend the fluctuations.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ That, and additionally assuming you recently made an increase in calories to start gaining weight, some of that could simply be additional food weight from the increase in cals, especially if you're going straight from a deficit to a surplus.