Weight loss without a gym membership

Options
Okay so I know that people always say that you can lose weight without going to the gym but I really don't know where to start that would be a good all over workout... HELP!!

Replies

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Options
    I did it for 1 1/2 years. buy some DVDs, p90x, jillian micheals, and change your eating habbits
  • mazoheist
    Options
    Diet and running
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    There are TONS of workout videos on youtube. If you are just starting exercise, a lot of people have been successful (including myself) in doing Leslie Sansone walking video workouts. She starts you off slowly. It is cardio and core strength. She does 1-5 miles of "walking" which includes side steps, knee lifts, etc., and the more "advanced" videos include light jogging. They burn calories, they get you moving, and get you comfortable with exercising if you haven't done so for a while (myself included).

I started in January and have lost 47 pounds. For the first three months I exclusively did Leslie Sansone videos and it really got me ready for harder stuff like jogging, weight training and zumba.

Good luck!
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Walking/running is a given for cardio. Here's a semi-recent New York Times piece that talks about how you can get a total body workout without any equipment: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_r=0
  • briansandramoroney
    Options
    Walking and biking! In bad weather I use Leslie Sansone n home walking dvd's. sounds silly but they work! Sandra
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Diet and running

+1. It really can be that simple.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Running, walking, get a cheap bike off Craig's List, used or online workout DVDs, deck of cards workout, swim laps at a public pool, go hiking, join an adult recreation league soccer team, climb the stadium stairs at your local college - the possibilities are endless.

Or join a gym. If you have a Crunch in your city it costs 10 bucks a month. It's worth it.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love biking, walking and kettlebells.
    Skipping rope.
    Resistance bands.
    Look on kijiji or craigslist for used dumbbells, perhaps?
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town with no gym access, besides the fact that I work full time, go to grad school and I am a mom and wife :) I have lost 60 lbs by logging my food, buying workout videos (I started with jillian michaels, but my faves are jackie warner) I did finally get a treadmill for the winter months, and I started using a c25k app...now I am training for a marathon! It's totally doable! good luck!
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I loooooove Turbo Jam and The Firm. Turbo Jam's cardio stuff doesn't use weights. The Firm does, but dumbells are pretty cheap (about $1/pound). If you don't want to buy those, you can use canned goods. :)

You can find 30-Day Shred on YouTube along with a bunch of other workouts. I found Richard Simmons' "Sweatin' to the Oldies" on there the other day and loved it because it reminded me of the 80s. It was actually a pretty decent workout too. Very low-impact and fun. :) It didn't burn as much as other workouts, but it got me out of a DVD rut.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I used beachbody Debbie seibbers slim in 6 (only ever used the first work out, start it up tho) I didn't really know how to eat right, so I avoided fast food, soda, candy, ANYTHING with fructose and sucrose corn syrups.

in 6 months, I went from 230 to 204, lost 40 inches, went from pant size 32 to 14. It was hard at first, and usually ended up with me taking 20 minutes worth of breaks for the 30 minute video. and a lot of profanity and screaming at the tv. but slowly, I was able to do it twice a day, then three times.

I still do it, as well as the gym. youtube has a lot of great work out vids too. heres a link to a lady that I love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZC0JkWbo&list=PLblBjKsBLywRAW5XXIPY-aCmS8p1_Ev5I&index=2

also, I saw this the other day and posted it

http://tirmizi.likes.com/the-21-best-exercises-you-can-do-at-home-with-no-equipment?pid=120096&utm_source=mylikes&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ml&utm_term=27007840
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight running, doing workout DVDs and eating the right amount of calories. I only started lifting after getting to the weight I am now. It has helped to shape my body, but there are alternatives you can do at home.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    After a decade of gym memberships, I dropped mine earlier this year and bought a boxed set of Jillian Michael work out DVDs, having tried a few on YouTube.

It broke the plateau I was in and I look & feel better than I ever did having to drag myself into a gym.

It is also cheaper, quicker because the commute is 30 steps from my bedroom, I no longer have to carry a bag of clothes or a towel about and no gross surprises in the showers! :D
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    jogging?
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 90 pounds strictly from walking, running and lifting higher reps lower weight and body weight. Got a bench and plates/barbell and now run, walk and lift heavy weights low reps. I've never done a workout video, just not for me.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just add cardio-- start with .5 hour work up to at least and hour.
    Running, walking, skip rope, swimming or biking all work.
    Walking is easiest on you but more time consuming for workout.
    The rope is quickest to burn calories but much more intense.
  • KylieJordan16
    KylieJordan16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've lost all 37lbs by running, strength(body weight) exercises and keeping my diet under control.
    Also doing things like hiking and what not.
    I love it! I havn't really been interested in a gym yet..
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ^This + I bought some free weights at Walmart for like $4 each. I also got a mini stepper for $100. It comes with a resistance band that I use separately. And some workout videos. But losing weight is 80% food and 20% exercise. So you don't need to work out 5 hours a day. get 30-40 mins a day. And pay attention to what you eat. The forst 10-15lbs will melt off fast. After that, worry about training harder. More muscle will burn fat faster. But if you go too hard, too fast you may injure yourself. And that can be discouraging.
  • kellihigdon
    kellihigdon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. You have to be your own personal trainer when it comes to working out at home. It's a little harder as there is no one else to motivate you, except you. But as you've read from others, its absolutely possible!

As an Independent Team Beachbody Coach, I use Beachbody's programs like Insanity, Turbo Fire, and ChaLean Extreme. These are all programs you can buy and use at home.. Its awesome.. I weighed 214 in April and now I weigh 177 at a height of 5'7".. A size 17 to a size 10-12.

Try something.. If you don't like it, return it (beachbody has a return policy thats pretty great!). Try another program instead :) Can't go wrong. There's something for everyone :)

Good luck! You can do it!
  • djslais
    djslais Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get some dumb bells, and start walking and/or riding a bike for 45-60+ minutes daily. Eventually, I invested in a treadmill and recumbent stationary bike for bad weather days...and for winter time. I hate the gym...