The trip....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.............SPLASH!

Options
I am absolutely beat! I just arrived home from our canoe trip and it was NOT for beginners or whiners. :tongue: We went 11 miles in 3 1/2 hours... According to MFP, not only am I tired and ready to go to bed for the day...But I burned 1750 calories! YEY ME! We paddled so quickly that we passed everyone who was dropped off during our "group," and the group who was dropped off in front of us. The trip is "supposed to" take 5-7 hours!!! WOW!!!

Now, the BEST part was for the last 2 miles, it started raining...no, it wasn't raining, torrential downpour with thunder and lightening. We paddled on over to an island to get out of our metal canoe and took shelter for a few minutes. After assessing the rain, future clouds, where the lightening was at that point, and how far we had gone we pressed on only to find the "end" where our cars were parked.

I just would like to say...Thanks to my MFP friends, we have talked so much about miles, running and such that I was able to figure out how far we had traveled. I took how long it takes me to run a mile, looked at how far we had to gone thus far on our trip, and figured I could encourage my family to row to safety within 15 minutes. THANK goodness we arrived within 10, and helped lead 3 other boats to the end. ANYWAY...

I'm beat now and rambling. We had a blast and I wanted to share that this was definately a wonderful adventure! There are so many rivers out there, so anyone who likes the outdoors I give it two thumbs up! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely beat! I just arrived home from our canoe trip and it was NOT for beginners or whiners. :tongue: We went 11 miles in 3 1/2 hours... According to MFP, not only am I tired and ready to go to bed for the day...But I burned 1750 calories! YEY ME! We paddled so quickly that we passed everyone who was dropped off during our "group," and the group who was dropped off in front of us. The trip is "supposed to" take 5-7 hours!!! WOW!!!

Now, the BEST part was for the last 2 miles, it started raining...no, it wasn't raining, torrential downpour with thunder and lightening. We paddled on over to an island to get out of our metal canoe and took shelter for a few minutes. After assessing the rain, future clouds, where the lightening was at that point, and how far we had gone we pressed on only to find the "end" where our cars were parked.

I just would like to say...Thanks to my MFP friends, we have talked so much about miles, running and such that I was able to figure out how far we had traveled. I took how long it takes me to run a mile, looked at how far we had to gone thus far on our trip, and figured I could encourage my family to row to safety within 15 minutes. THANK goodness we arrived within 10, and helped lead 3 other boats to the end. ANYWAY...

I'm beat now and rambling. We had a blast and I wanted to share that this was definately a wonderful adventure! There are so many rivers out there, so anyone who likes the outdoors I give it two thumbs up! :flowerforyou:
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wow way to go!! :drinker:

Sounds like fun though.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Lawndry girl.... eat up!
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun; now rest well!
    Just curious, how are you going to replenish 1700cals? Eat a jar of Peanut butter?
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun; now rest well!
    Just curious, how are you going to replenish 1700cals? Eat a jar of Peanut butter?

And knowing how much you love milk, you'll have to drink the entire gallon with that Peanut butter! Way to go!!!

:heart: Christina
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That sounds like so much fun!! What are you going to do with all those calories that you burned???
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    :laugh: I donno...I was planning on chicken, a salad, applesauce, rice and a smore for dinner. I'm not really a milk drinker, but that's a good idea. I drink it because is good to drink, and liquid calories if I have left overs at night. There is no way on the planet that I'm going to take in 2900 calories tonight! :laugh: Is there anyone here who does that with calories when you do a workout like this? Is this even a good idea?

Funny note...The ticker on my HOME page said that if every day were like today I'd way 127.5 pounds in 5 weeks. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEMPTING!!! So all I have to do is canoe every day for five weeks?
  • chrix
    chrix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    UMmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't think the "all-day-row-your-arms-off-in-a-thunder-storm" trip is my idea of fun! You young kids can play that game. Out of shape oldies are better at walking.

So... did the kids go too?
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    UMmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't think the "all-day-row-your-arms-off-in-a-thunder-storm" trip is my idea of fun! You young kids can play that game. Out of shape oldies are better at walking.

So... did the kids go too?

You can do it!!! Hokay, minus the lightening...the kids literally said, "Grandma is NOT going to like this rain part." As if it was part of the planned trip??? :laugh:

The worst part of the trip was the brat who kicked me in the truck on the drive to the water. My leg is all bruised up now. I should have helped him improve his limp the instant he started. OUCH! I'm icing my leg now. :cry:

We only got stuck twice, and that was from logs in the middle of the water. They have the 11 mile trip, and the 4 mile trip. 4 miles really went by quickly...errrrr...before the lightening, thunder, and rain started. Mark and I were laughing, Devin was searching for dry land, Jenny was crying. Once we finished, they asked if we could go again tomorrow. :huh: :yawn:
  • AbbyIsWangsterful
    AbbyIsWangsterful Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That sounds like SUPER FUN and I bet being worn out was so worth it! :D:flowerforyou: