Options
2»

Replies

• helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's really easy.

Don't eat. Any. Ever. At work I mean.

When people walk up don't look at what they have, because you already know you're not going to have any. ANY. EVER.

It's not impolite because you NEVER have ANY. So there.

If they put something down be friendly and shop around your cubicle for other people to eat. If nobody takes throw it in the garbage. Of course be nice about it.

Don't eat any. Ever. And you're good :)

I would advice to make all your meals AND snacks planned meals and planned snacks. No surprises. That's why you don't eat treats from coworkers.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    If someone sets something on your desk, just wait for them to leave and throw it away.

what a waste and what a shameful thing to do

its called will power. you just say No thank you. Imagine 3 words having such an impact :ohwell:
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Just a subtlety here: especially in workplaces where people don't know each other very well, this is just a matter of miscommunication.

FOOD OFFERER: Have some cake! It's Phyllis' birthday!
    DIETER: Thanks, I'd love to, but I really can't because I'm on a diet. Sad face!

To the dieter, this means, no thank you (but they're putting it gently because they think it sounds more polite). But to the offerer, this sometimes sounds like "I really want some. PLEASE tempt me some more so I can cave without feeling too guilty. At least I put up a fight." Generally speaking, people want other people to be happy (it makes their lives easier if you're happy, for what it's worth). They are just mistaken in thinking that eating the treat will make you happy.

When you say no, say it like you mean it. Be direct, don't invite debate. It won't sound impolite. "No thanks, I really don't want any. But tell Phyllis happy birthday for me!" It's PERFECTLY POLITE to be direct this way. Co-workers don't really care enough to require REASONS why you don't want any. You don't need to give them your diet as an excuse. You could be too busy to eat. You could be full from lunch. You could be allergic to deliciousness. You could be an inverse mogwai who can't eat before midnight without turning into a gremlin.

They don't need to know your reasons. Reasons just confuse the issue and invite debate. Just say no, smile, and turn away. Conversation over.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Diet temptation sure but that is on you to continue to say no thanks. Sabotage? Hardly, sabotage only occurs if you let it, again, continue saying no thank you.

It might also help to not only receive compliments about your weight loss but to be vocal about it and tell them why you are turning it down and that you would appreciate their help in your journey to be healthy.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You learn to say NO

Unless you want to be known as the girl who says YES to everything
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Carry your very worst before picture in your wallet. When offered say I really can't eat this type of food any more, and here's why.
    Or, I am allergic, look what happens when I eat this stuff.
    Or, take some celery and say, wow you are so generous, here yuo really must take some of my celery in return, I insist :-)
  • twistedbutterfly
    twistedbutterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just a subtlety here: especially in workplaces where people don't know each other very well, this is just a matter of miscommunication.

FOOD OFFERER: Have some cake! It's Phyllis' birthday!
    DIETER: Thanks, I'd love to, but I really can't because I'm on a diet. Sad face!

To the dieter, this means, no thank you (but they're putting it gently because they think it sounds more polite). But to the offerer, this sometimes sounds like "I really want some. PLEASE tempt me some more so I can cave without feeling too guilty. At least I put up a fight." Generally speaking, people want other people to be happy (it makes their lives easier if you're happy, for what it's worth). They are just mistaken in thinking that eating the treat will make you happy.

When you say no, say it like you mean it. Be direct, don't invite debate. It won't sound impolite. "No thanks, I really don't want any. But tell Phyllis happy birthday for me!" It's PERFECTLY POLITE to be direct this way. Co-workers don't really care enough to require REASONS why you don't want any. You don't need to give them your diet as an excuse. You could be too busy to eat. You could be full from lunch. You could be allergic to deliciousness. You could be an inverse mogwai who can't eat before midnight without turning into a gremlin.

They don't need to know your reasons. Reasons just confuse the issue and invite debate. Just say no, smile, and turn away. Conversation over.

Thanks for an excellent point. There is always the possibility that my attempts to be polite have come off wrong. I've always strived to not hurt feelings, but have to take care of myself. From now on, I'll go for firm.
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    Is saying 'No' that difficult?

If so I bet you're a fun date.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Your workplace sounds like mine :-)

Sweets are my biggest temptations, so here's how I deal-

1: BIG, filling breakfast every morning. Usually in the form of a coffee/egg/protein powder smoothie. Check my diary for recipe if you want.

2: Planned snacks on hand. I usually munch my way through some pumpkin seeds and walnuts throughout the morning.

3: Bring my lunch every day.

4: Like someone said above- I never have any. Never. If I have a bagel in the morning, it makes it about 478,746 times harder for me to say no to that slice of cake later. People will eventually get the hint. Be firm.

That being said I totally dove into the bag of freshly harvested tomatoes and green beans that someone brought today.

Hope this list is more helpful than the first response you got, haha.
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    I have a friend who carries a little ziplock bag of peanuts/cashews/baby carrots etc. and she pulls it out whenever she is in these situations. It reaffirms the notion she is taking care of herself and she is also eating something in a social setting. You might also want to suggest to your colleagues that they include a few healthier options to the menu. I no longer have that problem since in my new office nobody offers me anything.
  • twistedbutterfly
    twistedbutterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your workplace sounds like mine :-)

Sweets are my biggest temptations, so here's how I deal-

1: BIG, filling breakfast every morning. Usually in the form of a coffee/egg/protein powder smoothie. Check my diary for recipe if you want.

2: Planned snacks on hand. I usually munch my way through some pumpkin seeds and walnuts throughout the morning.

3: Bring my lunch every day.

4: Like someone said above- I never have any. Never. If I have a bagel in the morning, it makes it about 478,746 times harder for me to say no to that slice of cake later. People will eventually get the hint. Be firm.

That being said I totally dove into the bag of freshly harvested tomatoes and green beans that someone brought today.

Hope this list is more helpful than the first response you got, haha.

It is very helpful. Thanks. I have started bringing my own lunch, but hadn't tried not having any ever. That is an excellent idea (thanks to both of you) and I will have to try it. Perhaps I haven't been drawling the lines as firmly as I thought I had.
  • CarlaNeverGivenUp
    CarlaNeverGivenUp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Lots of comments here with interesting insight! I just started a new job as a lunch lady. Part of the perk of the job is that you get free lunch! The first day each person said wow you brought your lunch. I explained I was watching my weight and one commented oh we all are too! Then she commented bringing my lunch was really a waste of money. I just sat quiet and thought about it. Then it dawned in me that I can not have everything. So know I just say no thanks and if they pressure u just say I can't have that or I can't have that right now and move the subject to something else.

It seems to have worked. I do try to eat some of the healthy stuff offered when I can. What may seem like a waste to them affects my waist!

Now one of the girls who lost 38 lbs through WW is excited I'm there and she is back on her wagon again.

My hubby brings me stuff too! I say I wish I could but I can't right now.

Many blessings. Looks like you have lots of ideas to choose from!