Gaining weight and fustrated.

Options
I've been working out 5 days a week, for the past 3 weeks and gained 3lbs. I'm running 3 miles a day on the Elliptical, for about 35minutes and weight lifting for 1.5 hours. I've lost 2 inches on my waist, 1inch on my hips and 1 inch on my arms. I'm feeling discouraged, because I'm not losing weight. I'm craving sweets, they are my worst enemy. Should I run for a longer period and less weights?

I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I want to be lean.

Replies

• gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I like your ticker pic...
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 5 days a week, for the past 3 weeks and gained 3lbs. I'm running 3 miles a day on the Elliptical, for about 35minutes and weight lifting for 1.5 hours. I've lost 2 inches on my waist, 1inch on my hips and 1 inch on my arms. I'm feeling discouraged, because I'm not losing weight. I'm craving sweets, they are my worst enemy. Should I run for a longer period and less weights?

I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I want to be lean.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb is 1lb regardless. Muscle takes up less room, so if you're losing inches you're losing fat. Are you eating enough? Lifting is good. Don't rely so much on the scale. The inches you've lost is amazing in itself.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. Patience is everything. You have to give it time. My weight loss is always a surprise and follows improvements in measurements. Keep doing what you are doing until you lose. Eat at a calorie deficit and give it more time.
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So you've been working out 5 days a week, pushing your body like that, getting stronger, losing inches, and worried you've gained weight?

Unless you've eaten at a calorie surplus you cannot possibly have gained weight, and it's probably just water weight. 1 lb is 3500 calories, so you would've had to eat 10500 extra calories to gain 3 lbs.

Your body loves to hold on to that water stuff when it needs to 'repair' muscles after you 'damage' them with training.

Plus 5 days a week doing both lifting and running? I think you might be overdoing it a bit, yikes.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You've lost inches so therefore you've lost fat... Why are you complaining?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    you want to be lean? you've lost inches? what's the problem? :)