Gaining vs Exercise

Options

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Okay, 2000 cals used to seem a lot to me, but at the moment I am reaching 3000 on work days easily. A good day for me involves getting a decent amount of 'healthier' food , then eating as much as I want/need of other food. I am starting to like salads, the weather is warming up here, but that means I need some dense food as well. My go toos are chocolate , up and go's (a breakfast drink) sunflower and pumpkin seeds, cheese, dips, etc. A the moment if I wake up hungry, I eat breakfast, but some days I am not. It's amazing how many calories an extra piece of bacon adds to a meals. Also pizza. Seriously I like frozen pizza, and always pick up some when it's on special . Just a ham a cheese, simple high calories. Have a piece of cake . Or a donut. Also for me , I am finding my maintence may be just under 3000 cals. So I eat higher on days I work and tend to eat less on weekends. That seems to take the stress out of trying to eat so much and I am roughly sitting even on the scales. Big thing, is enjoy your food.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There may be other areas of your activities that could drop.

Usually the most comfortable way to meet high calorie goals is through carbs.
    Whether you can do that whilst still following your beliefs may be difficult but there could be options that fit both.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    Ain't gonna lie but in my big bulking days, I found pizza (lots of meat) to be the best option for me. Of course back then, dessicated liver tablets and milk were also our main sources of protein supplementation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    So..you're back.....are you ready to listen to these guys this time?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Less "working out". More training for hypertrophy.
    As for the food, yeah I guess you need to suck it up. Take a couple scoops of protein with every meal if you have to.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Less "working out". More training for hypertrophy.
    As for the food, yeah I guess you need to suck it up. Take a couple scoops of protein with every meal if you have to.

A protein shake (or 2) made with full fat coconut milk, almond butter, and banana could probably get you there.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    In my experience, they guys struggling to hit their calories are already filling up on protein, and it's become part of the problem.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So..you're back.....are you ready to listen to these guys this time?

Really?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    In my experience, they guys struggling to hit their calories are already filling up on protein, and it's become part of the problem.

Not me, my protein macro is only about 20% - since it's based off actual grams needed instead of an arbitrary ratio.

I think I'm gonna just do a big shake right when I get up and go from there. Appreciate the feedback and advice.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    3000 calorie maintenance

45-60 minutes HEAVY lifting = ~200 calories

3000+200+100 (for surplus) =3300. Not 4000

3100 cals on non workout days
    3300 cals on workout days.

Nah, doesn't quite work that way for me. I can do even 3500 consistently (I did for about 6 months) and still only have a 6-8lb increase in that time.

honestly I can't decide for myself whether that's a good amount or not... lol but what I do know is it means that MFP has no clue how calories affect my body, since it usually says I'll gain 2.8 pounds a week eating the way I do. :tongue:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    3000 calorie maintenance

Nah, doesn't quite work that way for me. I can do even 3500 consistently (I did for about 6 months) and still only have a 6-8lb increase in that time.

honestly I can't decide for myself whether that's a good amount or not... lol but what I do know is it means that MFP has no clue how calories affect my body, since it usually says I'll gain 2.8 pounds a week eating the way I do. :tongue:

Obviously you need to eat based on results regardless of what the numbers end up, so if math says you need to eat 3300 and eating 3300 doesn't cause weight gain or doesn't cause enough of it, then screw math.

IMO you should base your rate of gain on training experience and your tolerance for getting fat. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-4lbs/month should land you in a reasonable range with 2lbs being on the "stay leaner and slow fat gains down" category and 4lbs being on the "I'm relatively new to gaining muscle so I'm going to maximize this" end.

As a generalization I'd say the closer you are to your potential (more experienced, already gained much muscle mass, etc) you would target a slower rate of gain since you're not likely capable of putting on muscle very fast. Whereas for example, a 17 year old kid who is just getting into the gym would go aggressive and make the most out of it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    3000 calorie maintenance

Obviously you need to eat based on results regardless of what the numbers end up, so if math says you need to eat 3300 and eating 3300 doesn't cause weight gain or doesn't cause enough of it, then screw math.

IMO you should base your rate of gain on training experience and your tolerance for getting fat. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-4lbs/month should land you in a reasonable range with 2lbs being on the "stay leaner and slow fat gains down" category and 4lbs being on the "I'm relatively new to gaining muscle so I'm going to maximize this" end.

As a generalization I'd say the closer you are to your potential (more experienced, already gained much muscle mass, etc) you would target a slower rate of gain since you're not likely capable of putting on muscle very fast. Whereas for example, a 17 year old kid who is just getting into the gym would go aggressive and make the most out of it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

Yep, I've been saying "screw math" ever since I decided to be an actor way back in high school, so that shouldn't be a problem. :wink:

But thanks for the info, threw together a 930 cal shake this morning that definitely didn't go down like 930 calories so that was nice. That'll probably be my new routine since I can chug it back and still be hungry for breakfast a bit later.

Appreciate the links.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    3000 calorie maintenance

Definitely base your calories on results but I was trying to illustrate what other were saying about cutting out other exercise.

Since you are having trouble eating so many calories then only do the exercise that will result in muscle gain and eat enough calories to cover that exercise. That would keep additional calorie need to a minimum.

+1 pound per month is not a failure. A lot of guys trying to "lean" gain would be thrilled with that. IF you can do 3500 consistently AND you were gaining on that then I dont really see what problem you are having.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Someone that is all about clean/paleo/primal eating is having trouble gaining weight when bulking.

.....how weird....

The other thing, if I recall correctly you don't strength train legs due to being an actor. Being that about 2/3 of your muscle mass is in your legs, without leg training you are going to gain muscle mass much slower than someone that does.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Someone that is all about clean/paleo/primal eating is having trouble gaining weight when bulking.

.....how weird....

The other thing, if I recall correctly you don't strength train legs due to being an actor. Being that about 2/3 of your muscle mass is in your legs, without leg training you are going to gain muscle mass much slower than someone that does.

where'd you get that from? why wouldn't I need my legs as an actor? lol
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

.....how weird....

where'd you get that from? why wouldn't I need my legs as an actor? lol

That's what Hugh Jackman said :laugh:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Aight so this is my new favorite section of these forums, as I'm 5'7 and probably just shy of 130 right now. I've been trying to build muscle for the last year+, but have been off the wagon for a while. That said, when I was really going hard, I put on about 8 pounds in 6 months, which was great, but my question is, with someone like me whose metabolism burns so hot, doesn't working out 5 or 6 times a week slow me down in terms of muscle growth? I like doing that much exercise, but I already have to eat about 3000 just for maintenance, and when I work out hard I have to go up to 4000 a day some times, and it's just insane. Haha

Is this a "suck it up and eat that much food" kind of thing, or should I scale back on workouts to like... 3 times a week and just do resistance/core work as opposed to any cardio?

Yeah you're just going to have to eat more.. Tough but life.. At least you don't suffer with excessive fat gain :)
  • mom5284
    mom5284 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This thread is blowing my mind
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You can't gain much muscle mass on Paleo, the "math" just doesn't support this claim...